SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is my old thru-hull thru?

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
Heya,

1977 orion S&S 35 sloop.

I just removed a few thru-hulls to replace some rotten old seacocks. They are flush mount. Looking through the service yard catalogs, I can't find any that match my specs. The ones I removed look OK with just a little thread wear in the center. But, there is some red coloration. Can I re-use these?

Cheers,
Gil

#3 ·
If they are bronze and show reddish or pinking, it usually means they are dezincifying...and will not be safe to re-use.
Heya,

1977 orion S&S 35 sloop.

I just removed a few thru-hulls to replace some rotten old seacocks. They are flush mount. Looking through the service yard catalogs, I can't find any that match my specs. The ones I removed look OK with just a little thread wear in the center. But, there is some red coloration. Can I re-use these?

Cheers,
Gil

#5 ·
What are the measurements of the through-hulls. :)

#9 ·
Hey Cam. Can we please leave my liberal claptrap references in the off topic list? ;)

I tried Groco. No fit. My hull is already beveled, but my thru-hulls are um unique... The guy at the yard said I should go with mushroom heads and fill the void with sealant. Sounds daft to me. Whattaya more experienced persons think?

#12 ·
Here are the measurements.

Flush mount.
inside dia: 1 1/2"
thread dia: 1 5/8"
(no surprises there)
Flange dia: 2 7/16"
flange height: roughly 2/8"
roughly 2/8" on the 45 degree flush angle
again with the 2/8" from the 45 angle to the pipe.

hell, does that make sense? I am so ready to be in the know.

#15 ·
So I keep searching and searching but, no go with matching measurements.
my hull is countersunk to 2 1/2" but all the flush thru-hulls out there have a 2 7/8" flange. Does there exist in the universe a counter sinking tool designed to expand my mounting holes to a sweet 45 degree angle? Google is failing me. I'm tired of living on the hard. help me!.

Sounds like an Aerosmith song. "Living on the hard"

#16 ·
Gil,

Why not use a router with a ball bearing - 45 degree chamfer bit? It may not be perfect since you have to follow the hull, but it will be pretty close.
If you wanted it perfect you have to make a templet for the router out of a peice of plywood, shim and hot glue it the hull - making it perpendicular and centered to the hole.

Patrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.