SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Presta Compound/Polish Products - Amazing! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/55940-presta-compound-polish-products-amazing.html)

labatt 07-05-2009 07:03 PM

Presta Compound/Polish Products - Amazing!

Well, we haven't put the wax on yet, but we just finished a complete compound and polish of our 1984 Passport 40 and it's amazing! We spent close to two days doing the compounding using a Makita buffer, Presta Gelcoat Compound and a Presta black polishing pad and the hull looked great. We didn't think it could get any better, but then we spent today using the Presta Ultra Cutting Creme and... wow! The hull looks almost new with a bright glossy reflection of everything around! I can't believe how amazing this stuff is. Thanks Maine Sail for recommending it! Tomorrow we're going to use Fleet Wax to finish up the restoring process. It's been a serious amount of work - 10 hours each day with a heavy buffer and over 100 degree temperatures - but I think it has been well worth it. I'm interested to see how long the shine lasts for and how easy it is to wipe off the ICW brow once we reach Beaufort, NC and head north in the ditch... By the way, no relation to the company, just like the products. I'll post pictures once I transfer them over.

Chris

Maine Sail 07-05-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by labatt (Post 502781)
wow! The hull looks almost new with a bright glossy reflection of everything around! I can't believe how amazing this stuff is. Thanks Maine Sail for recommending it!

Yeah, sadly, all products are NOT created equal!:D The Presta stuff is simply amazing! While decent stuff I no longer even bother to recommend 3M compounds or polishes because the Presta is head and shoulders better..

BTW Practical Sailor just crowned Collinite #885 the king of waxes for a second time. 3M marine Performance came in second and both waxes were still beading at the six month mark!! Rest assured you are using great products. Glad I could help!!

labatt 07-06-2009 06:33 PM

We put the Collinite #885 on today and Pelican looks amazing. I didn't think she could ever look this way! Anyway, for a 40 foot boat we used slightly under 1gal of the Gel Coat Compound, 1/4 of a gal of the Ultra Cutting Creme and one container of the Collinite paste. We used two of the black pads from Presta plus a quick pad connector for the compounding and 3 of the white 3M 05713 buffing pads for the polishing. We could have used fewer pads but we didn't want to take the time to clean them. We used the Makita 9227CX3 polisher/sander for the actual work. We used a ton of lint free cloths for cleaning up the residual compound (we wet our hull during the compounding so there was a lot of splatter and residue). The polish didn't leave much of a residue since we ran at a much higher speed on the Makita so only needed minimal cleanup. We used circlular lint free applicators for the waxing in addition to more lint free cloths. We used both 3M green and 3M blue tape to cover our boot stripe and our rubrail during the compounding and polish. It took us a day per side for the compounding, one day total for the polishing and about 3-4 hours for the waxing. If anyone has any questions, please let me know! It is WELL WORTH THE TIME!!!

scottyt 07-06-2009 06:44 PM

no questions we just want pics

jarcher 07-06-2009 11:07 PM

Sounds like a good Spring project for me! Are there temperature restrictions about when you can use it?

jackytdunaway 07-07-2009 06:03 AM

pictures are required. Also what did you do on the non-skid