Outboard quit after wet sail - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-21-2009 Thread Starter

Outboard quit after wet sail

I went sailing Sunday and my 12hp Tohatsu quit just as I reached the channel back in to my home harbor. It's an older model (late 80s or early 90s I think) but has been very reliable for me. After using it successfully to get out of the harbor in the morning and motor into and out of anchorage for lunch, it started right up, ran for about a minute, then quit. After that it cranked normally but would not catch.

A very similar thing happened last year, both times I neglected to raise the outboard out of the water while sailing in seas of 2-3 feet. My father's theory was that the wiring got wet, I was thinking a problem with the fuel supply. When it happened last year, the next weekend I went down to the boat, cleaned the spark plug & fuel filter and the engine started right up, though I did not try the engine before executing those tasks, so I'm not sure if that helped or if it just needed to dry.

Any ideas what's going on? I'd like to understand (and avoid) this situation in the future, especially since the channel to my mooring is narrow and usually directly to windward when returning in the afternoon. I will be at the marina this weekend and I'm hoping the engine will start.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Cal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-21-2009
Misanthrope

Mid 80's or older...Your symptom screams water in the fuel, but, it could be anything from a bad ground to a bad CD, exciter, or trigger. The electronic parts are no longer available(except the CD) due to its age. I would test for fire on the plugs. If you have fire then it has to be a fuel system issue.

Elvin
Solution One Maritime
post #3 of 6 Old 07-22-2009 Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll do the spark test this weekend then check the fuel.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2009

With a Tohatsu and many other outboards, You may find it will kick off and run when you next try it. Just overall dampness under the cowing.

Always keep a spark plug wrench and possibly one plug and a clean cloth in a dry bag on board. If it does not start quickly Remove the plugs and wipe them dry with the cloth, clean around the spark area as best you can. Wipe down as much of the wiring as possible and unplug and replug anything with an electrical plug. If you have a water trap in your fuel line dump it and re-prime. Fresh gas is always a good thing.

Reinstall the plugs, prime and choke the engine but be careful not to flood it. Start and let it run at marginally higher RPM than idle. If it now runs smoothly your ready to go.... until it get wet next time when you have to repeat the same process. This process works best when the sun is helping dry things out but does work most of the time for one of my dinks with a similar dislike for wet conditions.

I prefer a sailboat to a motorboat, and it is my belief that boat sailing is a finer, more difficult, and sturdier art than running a motor.... Jack London
post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2009
Telstar 28

I'd highly recommend putting a fuel/water separator filter in the fuel line if you're using an external tank.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-28-2009 Thread Starter

It started right up on Sunday. It must have been the dampness RC suggested. I got extra plugs and will look into getting a water separator (though probably not till next year). Thanks all.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in