SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Old merc outboard stuck...

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  blueranger 
#1 · (Edited)
After 3 hours hanging over my transom I come humbly to this forum for help with my head-scratcher. I have an older (1980s) mercury OB 7.5hp. Has forward, neutral, and reverse. Runs like a top; starts right up and goes through the gears no problem.

Today I pushed the engine to the right to insert the fuel line and somehow the engine locked in that position. This is a totally manual outboard. There's no trim, no power up and down or side to side. But something is keeping it locked to the right (starboard) side. I looked for any kind of switch but nothing. It has a little level labeled "Troll" that I have no idea what it does but playing with that didn't solve anything.

It feels exactly like when you turn the steering wheel of your car too far in Park and it locks. Anyhow I couldn't figure out the problem, a search of the net didn't turn up anything and I couldn't find any answers in my SELOC Mercury Outboards repair manual. I'm desperate. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.