composting toilet report - Page 20 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 443 Old 04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilStump View Post
We liveaboard. We partially empty ours every two weeks into a biobag and toss it in the garbage. The remainder starts "cooking" the new stuff. If we had one of them weirdo land housey things, we'd start a composting pile. As it is, I don't feel too bad about 3 gallons in a bag that will biodegrade and let our #2 combine with all the diapers and banana peels and rotting carcasses leftover from the weekends BBQ. And if we ever get our old boat 3 miles offshore, bloop!

If you are tired of the stench of old hoses and the extra hole in the boat, and the nasty nasty holding tanks, get one. It rocks.
I probably will get one eventually. I'm just trying to figure it all out and justify the cost of a plastic bucket with a toilet seat on it.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 443 Old 04-22-2010

why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT View Post
leave compost in finishing drawer for 3-4 weeks

That doesn' seem practical for a live aboard couple.
Would you need to empty the finishing drawer more often than the manufacturer recommends?
If so, why?
Of anyone that has installed one, I have not heard that this is an issue.

My Cruising blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes
post #193 of 443 Old 04-22-2010
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

The US EPA has a PDF file online about composting toilets. No pun intended, but the "bottom line" is that most of what are being sold as composting toilets for boats? Aren't.

The EPA recognizes two kinds of composting toilets. One, where the waste gradually fills a bin so that what you are removing is typically a year old, as it progresses down from the toilet. After a year in the proper conditions, it has composted and is no longer hazardous sanitary waste.

The other, requiring AT LEAST TWO BINS or composting units. You use one, the either swap it out or move ot the other, and ALLOW THE FIRST BIN TO COMPOST for at least a full month. Longer depending on conditions.

So...composting toilet for boats? Unless you have two of them, or two bins and space to swap them out, it is nothing more than a cedar bucket with aspirations to be something more. And what comes out of it, is still "sanitary waste" that requires the appropriate permit and special handling to be disposed of, or buried, ashore.

I know, waste is waste and a "dry head" may still be more convenient than a holding tank full of wet waste. But as far as I can see--the things being sold as composting toilets, for single installation on boats, just aren't going to generate any kind of sterile safe compost.

Of course, they're way easier to find than plain old cedar buckets. :-)

post #194 of 443 Old 04-22-2010

perhaps the old traditional holding tank is replaced with a "holding bin" (also vented) that partially composted peat and waste is moved to until it composts fully.
Just a thought.
If it can be done late enough in the process, its shouldnt be too hard to manage. Still preferable to a wet storage I would think.

My Cruising blog:

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes
post #195 of 443 Old 04-22-2010
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Replace it with two holding bins, each with a liquid separator, and you've got a valid composting system. Just remember--each bin needs to have temperature and ventilation and liquid separation managed, and be large enough to hold all your waste for somewhere between one and three months to allow that compost time to ripen.

I'll go with a holding tank, and peeing in a urinal. (Ladies, turn away. Sometimes men use the sink.)
post #196 of 443 Old 04-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The US EPA has a PDF file online about composting toilets. No pun intended, but the "bottom line" is that most of what are being sold as composting toilets for boats? Aren't.

The EPA recognizes two kinds of composting toilets. One, where the waste gradually fills a bin so that what you are removing is typically a year old, as it progresses down from the toilet. After a year in the proper conditions, it has composted and is no longer hazardous sanitary waste.

The other, requiring AT LEAST TWO BINS or composting units. You use one, the either swap it out or move ot the other, and ALLOW THE FIRST BIN TO COMPOST for at least a full month. Longer depending on conditions.

So...composting toilet for boats? Unless you have two of them, or two bins and space to swap them out, it is nothing more than a cedar bucket with aspirations to be something more. And what comes out of it, is still "sanitary waste" that requires the appropriate permit and special handling to be disposed of, or buried, ashore.

I know, waste is waste and a "dry head" may still be more convenient than a holding tank full of wet waste. But as far as I can see--the things being sold as composting toilets, for single installation on boats, just aren't going to generate any kind of sterile safe compost.

Of course, they're way easier to find than plain old cedar buckets. :-)
Do you have a link to that PDF? It would be very useful.

"There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats." -- Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

post #197 of 443 Old 08-15-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

So now that summer is underway and approaching Sept. What's the word on the composting toilets? Stinky or better than sliced bread?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
post #198 of 443 Old 08-15-2010

non-stinky

Chronology:
- installed Nature's Head in spring
- used by two guys for two weeks continuously
- used by me weekends thereafter
- I neglected to put a screen on the vent hose and got a fruit fly infestation
- emptied and cleaned the solids bin (it sat unused for two weeks prior) smelled like potting soil ... put the compost in my compost pile at home
- if I didn't get the fruit flies, I would still not need to empty it
- I basically live at the Marina most weekends - definitely don't miss the pump-outs!
- would definitely do it again!
post #199 of 443 Old 08-15-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRelyea View Post
Chronology:
- installed Nature's Head in spring
- used by two guys for two weeks continuously
- used by me weekends thereafter
- I neglected to put a screen on the vent hose and got a fruit fly infestation
- emptied and cleaned the solids bin (it sat unused for two weeks prior) smelled like potting soil ... put the compost in my compost pile at home
- if I didn't get the fruit flies, I would still not need to empty it
- I basically live at the Marina most weekends - definitely don't miss the pump-outs!
- would definitely do it again!
So did you end up using your existing vent hose outlet for the holding tank as planned? If you don't mind me asking, where is that vent, and where is your head in relation? We're very interested in installing a composted head this winter, but I'm still trying to work out the logistics of how we would install our nicro vent or use the existing vent line, so I'm very interested in how others have done the project.

Thanks!
-J

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
post #200 of 443 Old 08-15-2010

Composting Head vent

J

I originally vented the head through the old holding tank vent but found that to be too restrictive. Now I've got it vented through the holding tank deck pump-out fitting. I dremeled out the center of the fitting's cap and hot-glued screen onto it. I get a small amount of rain water through the screen and down the hose which is easy to deal with. I use the built in fan on the Nature's Head.

Total run for the vent hose is about 10 feet ... I'll get pictures next time I'm down to the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in