composting toilet report - Page 21 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 443 Old 08-15-2010
Salty

We were on the fence and decided to go with the AirHead model as a result of a few design considerations. It seemed NaturesHead requires the removal of the seat unit to empty the liquid tank, whereas the AirHead liquid tank is easily accessible. In addition, the AirHead seat is more of a residential size and is much more comfortable than our previous marine head.

We have had this unit approximately 3 months, and I must admit I was very skeptical. This unit, so far, has proved itself a good buy. We have not had a single issue nor have we had to dump the solid tank as of yet with moderate use. The liquid tank must be dumped about every 2-3 days for the wife and I...and could go longer if I wasnt too lazy to go topside.

As for installation, I plumbed the vent to a Day/Night Nicro solar powered vent and currently do not see the need to install the 12v fan. To summarize, this has been a great purchase. There is a matter "getting used to it" but that seems to be a more than fair trade off to pump outs, clogs and rebuilds.

MSter
1983 Morgan OI 416
S/V Shamrock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 443 Old 08-15-2010
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

BlackJ, if you're still looking www.epa.gov/owmitnet/mtb/comp.pdf is the URL.
post #203 of 443 Old 08-16-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRelyea View Post
J

I originally vented the head through the old holding tank vent but found that to be too restrictive. Now I've got it vented through the holding tank deck pump-out fitting. I dremeled out the center of the fitting's cap and hot-glued screen onto it. I get a small amount of rain water through the screen and down the hose which is easy to deal with. I use the built in fan on the Nature's Head.

Total run for the vent hose is about 10 feet ... I'll get pictures next time I'm down to the boat.
Quick question--what is the location of your head? Forward? Aft? Other?

Thanks again for the info, RonRelyea, it would be great to see some pictures if it's convenient.

Best,
J

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I

post #204 of 443 Old 08-16-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSter View Post
...As for installation, I plumbed the vent to a Day/Night Nicro solar powered vent and currently do not see the need to install the 12v fan. To summarize, this has been a great purchase. There is a matter "getting used to it" but that seems to be a more than fair trade off to pump outs, clogs and rebuilds.
MSter, thanks for the info as well. I'm also interested in your installation. Is your head forward or aft (or somewhere other than that)? Where did you end up mounting the vent?

I'm just information gathering, so we have the best chance at a working install.
Thanks!
-J

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
post #205 of 443 Old 08-16-2010

Installation

J ... here's my floor plan .... pix to follow
post #206 of 443 Old 08-16-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRelyea View Post
J ... here's my floor plan .... pix to follow
Ahhh, aft head I see. Our head is forward, just aft of the V-berth, so the toilet would be facing athwartships as opposed to fore and aft. So that's a concern (no using it while on port tack). I'm having a hard time figuring out where we want to run our vent line, since the cabin top (quite curved) would be the best location, and it's near the mast where one works on sails, etc.

I know we can make it work, just not sure exactly how yet.
-J

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
post #207 of 443 Old 08-16-2010

Just wanted to say that after doing a bunch of research and combing through this thread, my wife and I (full time liveaboards on our current boat for three years) are going to take the plunge and get a composting head.

We have a Lavac right now which it seems is the best of the "wet" systems. It's been incredibly reliable, but I can already feel the reduced flow as the lines are getting clogged up again, and there's a small hole in the top of the holding tank that's letting vapors out on occasion.

Had to close the deal on either redoing the plumbing and getting a new holding tank, or going down a different road completely. I absolutely will chine in with all my feedback.

Keep the water on the outside, you on the inside, and the stick in the air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #208 of 443 Old 08-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelheart View Post
Just wanted to say that after doing a bunch of research and combing through this thread, my wife and I (full time liveaboards on our current boat for three years) are going to take the plunge and get a composting head.

We have a Lavac right now which it seems is the best of the "wet" systems. It's been incredibly reliable, but I can already feel the reduced flow as the lines are getting clogged up again, and there's a small hole in the top of the holding tank that's letting vapors out on occasion.

Had to close the deal on either redoing the plumbing and getting a new holding tank, or going down a different road completely. I absolutely will chine in with all my feedback.
Since you liveaboard full time, let me know what you do with the uncomposted material.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #209 of 443 Old 08-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Since you liveaboard full time, let me know what you do with the uncomposted material.
Will do. From what I'm hearing, we're expecting "80 sanitary uses" out of the system, which I figure is somewhere in the ~1.5-2 month range for two people.

My rationale, for what it's worth:

I'm not expecting it to be a wonderful experience, but neither is changing out head plumbing and knocking deposits clean from the fittings. I'm fine with a slightly gross job once ever 60-90 days compared to an excruciatingly gross and painful job every 2-3 years.

I also have a new daughter who would never be able to flush a marine toilet for years (arm strength), and will certainly drop all kinds of things in that should never go into a marine toilet, increasing the frequency by which I'll need to clear it out.

I'm trading a bag of problems for another bag of problems, but having lived with wet systems for ~8 years, I'm ready for a new bag. I can always go back if it gets that bad; no one's chopping off his/her arm.

Keep the water on the outside, you on the inside, and the stick in the air.

post #210 of 443 Old 08-16-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelheart View Post
Just wanted to say that after doing a bunch of research and combing through this thread, my wife and I (full time liveaboards on our current boat for three years) are going to take the plunge and get a composting head...
We will certainly be interested in hearing about your installation, rebelheart. Please provide updates down the road.
Cheers,
J

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in