composting toilet report - Page 23 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 443 Old 10-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Any feedback on the "squatter version"?
I talked to the owner of Nature's Head at the show and he said he is aware of the issue of the unit being a tight fit with smaller boats and boats that have riser platforms. He said they've considered making a shorter version but would only be able to reduce the height by 2-3 inches. He seemed receptive to my feedback and it sounds like if more people request a shorter unit they may actually start making one. I'd encourage anyone who wants a shorter unit to contact Nature's Head directly and let them know.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 443 Old 10-10-2010
On the path of basic life

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Thanks 4arch
post #223 of 443 Old 10-11-2010
Unpaid Intern

We bit the bullet today at the boat show and ordered an Airhead. Nature's Head was not an option due to various configuration issues. So the Airhead is our choice.

We're at that point where we need to rebuild our current toilet (and since it's an old, cheap toilet that really means replacing it) and replace all the hoses. If we're going to do that, well, we're going to try something new. I'll let you know how it turns out when we install over the winter.
-J

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I

post #224 of 443 Old 10-29-2010

we built our own dry composting head, so we could make it the correct size to fit our space. It was also much less expensive. We used the Seperatt privy kit from Eco Vita Ecovita Privy Kit
we replaced the styrofoam seat with a real toilet seat and used rubber gasket material to make it air tight. We live aboard (on our tug not the SJ28) and have had no issues with the toilet, it works great, no smell and easy to maintain.

SJ 28 "Troublemaker"
Tug Iver
post #225 of 443 Old 10-31-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsailing View Post
we built our own dry composting head, so we could make it the correct size to fit our space. It was also much less expensive. We used the Seperatt privy kit from Eco Vita Ecovita Privy Kit
we replaced the styrofoam seat with a real toilet seat and used rubber gasket material to make it air tight. We live aboard (on our tug not the SJ28) and have had no issues with the toilet, it works great, no smell and easy to maintain.
Do you by any chance have any pictures of the install? It would be interesting to see another approach. Thanks!
-J

1984 Sabre 34 Mk I
post #226 of 443 Old 11-01-2010

Basically we just built a wooden box and used containers that would fit the height we needed. Most people use a bucket (like the kind you get at home depot with the lid) but that made our unit too tall, so we ended up using a stainless steel pot from a restaurant supply store and a small plastic kitty litter container jug. I don't have any photos hosted online, I don't like the free photo hosting sites, so sorry, no photos.

SJ 28 "Troublemaker"
Tug Iver
post #227 of 443 Old 11-02-2010

How many gallons of pink stuff do I need?

to winterize my Nature's Head?????

JUST KIDDING!!!!!
post #228 of 443 Old 04-25-2011

Thumbs up composting poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Would it be possible to run a poll asking how members feel about composting heads?
I get the impression that a whole lot of people are grossed out about the idea and it might be informative to get a real picture of people's attitudes... poll?
Let's do a poll! I'm in and can't wait to change out our current system. Does everyone know about the book Humanure? very valuable information.

All we need now are willing thermophillic composting facilities up and down every coast-line waiting for our valuable bucket contents!!! Maybe there will be a composting facility section in the various cruiser guides or this web-sites?
post #229 of 443 Old 05-16-2011

Pee Smell

We use tea tree oil. A drop in the empty pee jar. and a drop in the squirt bottle for rinsing. fffresssh. Our composter is the best money we have spent so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheers!
Skipper Joe
post #230 of 443 Old 05-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilStump View Post
We use tea tree oil. A drop in the empty pee jar. and a drop in the squirt bottle for rinsing. fffresssh. Our composter is the best money we have spent so far.
Thanks Gil, I've never heard of the stuff. Where do you get it?
How often do you empty the receptacle now? I find that I have to empty mine just about every day when it's still less than half full. It would be nice to be able to get a couple of days out of it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in