composting toilet report - Page 38 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #371 of 443 Old 06-04-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

Re: composting toilet report

It's amazing how many people are afraid of poop...

Why is it, it's ok to throw away diapers, but not "composted" toilet waste??? At least it's dry and odorless...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #372 of 443 Old 06-04-2012

Some people (actually a lot of people) are what Jenkins calls fecophobic. It should be pointed out that with compact "composting" toilets, the waste is, in fact, not composted. The composting process under ideal conditions takes six months to two years to become completely free of any biohazard and that is from the day of the last deposit. But with only a couple of people using a composting toilet regularily instead of being open to the public for use, a composting toilet on a boat or even a homestead has little danger of spreading disease to it's users if minimal sanitary practices are used. No more than a holding tank system for sure and since repairs are virtually non-existant, you could say "less" dangerous. If handled correctly, you never have to come into physical contact with your waste again after you have used the toilet.
post #373 of 443 Old 06-06-2012

Sometimes forum discussions can be a lot like a composting toilet. People stirring up a lot of crap but if you dig through the mixture, you can find some kernels of truth and good information. Also like poop, the discussion tend to dry up in the sunlight of truth.

As a former Army Special Forces medic charged with setting up base camp sanitation and as a retired Firefighter/Paramdeic with years of antiseptic practice, and as a five year live aboard cruiser and composting toilet user, I have some notion of what I am talking about and I do consider myself something of an expert on the subject of compact composting toilets.

I write this, not to toot my own horn, but it is hard to stand by and watch bad information (like bacteria) being passed from one person to another (fecal cranial contact, if you will). I would gladly answer any serious general questions about compact composting toilets. I will not compare brands to each other but I will discuss the process, how to use one and why it can be a superior system compared to holding tank systems in many cases. Don't be shy.
gdt35 and arf145 like this.

post #374 of 443 Old 06-06-2012
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

OK, fireboat. Here's the biggie. Since there are no composting toilets, and the devices using that name still generate a bucket of sewage, sanitary waste, whatever you prefer to call it, what are the proper, legal, and sanitary ways to disposing of that "it ain't compost yet" waste?

As opposed to using a pump-out station, where there's a process to dump the sewage into a regular and approved sanitary waste system?
post #375 of 443 Old 06-06-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
OK, fireboat. Here's the biggie. Since there are no composting toilets, and the devices using that name still generate a bucket of sewage, sanitary waste, whatever you prefer to call it, what are the proper, legal, and sanitary ways to disposing of that "it ain't compost yet" waste?

As opposed to using a pump-out station, where there's a process to dump the sewage into a regular and approved sanitary waste system?
He has covered this in the posts above...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
post #376 of 443 Old 06-06-2012
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I would say touched on it, but not covered it. Taking a bucket and tossing it in the dumpster, or burying it, would not address the legal issues. Not to mention, consuming a $5 bucket non-bio-degradeable each trip, or the many places where that plastic bucket is required to be washed out and placed in the recycling.

Let's suppose you are in LI Sound, or on the Chesapeake or Biscayne Bay or in the Keys. Now, what so you do with a bucket full of sewage? I'd say mail it to your Congresscritter, but that's illegal to put in the US Mail, too.
post #377 of 443 Old 06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulfromNWOnt View Post
@pdq:

I work in water/wastewater. When I consider the arguments here about environmental responsibility when it comes to sewage, I usually just chuckle. But in the interest of clarity, a lake or ocean is a very large ecosystem that will have no trouble absorbing the effluent from the typical density of recreational boaters. Some may have higher densities and larger issues, but I'm talking averages. If you peed in your neighbours pool, he might get uptight if he found out, but realistically it would only cause his chemical/filtration costs to go up. Remember, urine is water with a nutrient content which can either be chemically inactivated or filtered.

As to the 'other' waste product being discussed. Don't eat it, it's not good for you. If you mix it by hand, make sure you wash them very well before eating your sandwich. If the thought of it being dumped under a random tree or a dumpster upsets you, then you might want to watch pet owners very carefully when they're out walking fido.

I love interweb debates. :/
Good point. BTW, what is the legality of disposing of baby diapers (or grown-up diapers- Depends) or pet waste in garbage cans or dumpsters?
post #378 of 443 Old 06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboat52 View Post
Quick lime and a five gallon bucket is fine for a single bumboat guy but try to get a lady to sit over a rising pile of encrusted desolving poop. The best "bucket" method should be attractive on the outside and disguise what is going on on the inside by having no sewer smell and no visible growing pile of s*** under your butt. Quick lime is dusty and also a health hazard. (Google "Is quicklime dangerous?") If you get it in your eyes , it can blind you and there is really no other use for it onboard.
I have used just lime (not quick lime), it works without the health issues and is cheap- buy a large bag at the hardware store.
post #379 of 443 Old 06-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Yes, and concerning illegal disposal of poop...what the heck are we going to do with all those messy seagulls. They flout the law right in front of law enforcement on a regular basis, occasionally sending down poop bombs in aerial attacks. I say LOCK 'EM up along with racoons, squirrels, fish, insects, fido, ***** cats, and those lousy sea otters, and the whales!!...well, where are their composting toilets, huh?

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #380 of 443 Old 06-06-2012

I went through a ton of diapers on two children without ill effects

Baby diapers seem to get dumped at every rest stop on the eastern coast of the USA without ending the world

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 06-06-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in