composting toilet report - Page 40 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #391 of 443 Old 06-06-2012

Re: composting toilet report

Composting waste at home is not universally illegal. You can go online and see which states allow composting waste but the info is dated. Florida and Arizona are compost friendly states but it varies from municipality to municipality.

If you don't want to compost your waste back at home, you can burn it instead or sterilize and discard it or you can dump it off shore anytime. All these methods are legal in most areas and virtually unenforced where illegal unless you are a public nuisance. Speeding is also illegal.

Contrary to what most people believe, the "green" community has mixed emotions about composting toilets because they allow the development of sensitive areas where water is either restricted or not available.

Holding tank systems are by far and away the greater offender when it comes to polluting. CMTs are a great way to store waste economically and safely but CMTs are not for everybody.

Last edited by fireboat52; 06-06-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 443 Old 06-06-2012
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Here in the Northeast, AFAIK in all the NE states, you can't burn your waste or even your lawn rakings much less your ordinary trash. Violates air pollution codes.

Floriduh, of course, is famous for being one of the most forward-thinking and socially concerned states in the union. A true bastion of exemplary public policies.

Last edited by hellosailor; 06-06-2012 at 06:45 PM.
post #393 of 443 Old 06-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Lawrence Kohlberg has a scale of levels of moral thinking. It says, briefly, that most people reach a stage of "conventional morality" after passing through their completely self-centered stages whereby they think along the lines of "what's good for one is good for all," or some other means to go with the crowd, authority, compliance. A small percentage of independent thinkers about right and wrong rise above blind compliance and make moral decisions based upon reason, common sense, fact. Sometimes they break the law which is, of course, an ass. Conventional morality very often ignores fact. This conversation is a good example.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 06-06-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: grammar

post #394 of 443 Old 06-06-2012

Okaaay then . . . . any other on topic questions?
post #395 of 443 Old 06-06-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboat52 View Post
Okaaay then . . . . any other on topic questions?

WOW - when I started this thread some years ago I had no idea it would get so long and would have so many terrific contributors.

I'm still using my two composters and loving not having to deal with pump outs and holding tanks. One question for you, fireboat, what is the best way to deal with the little fruit-fly-like critters that occasionally populate the main compost holding compartment?

genieskip
Northeast
J40
post #396 of 443 Old 06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieskip View Post
WOW - when I started this thread some years ago I had no idea it would get so long and would have so many terrific contributors.

I'm still using my two composters and loving not having to deal with pump outs and holding tanks. One question for you, fireboat, what is the best way to deal with the little fruit-fly-like critters that occasionally populate the main compost holding compartment?
Here in hawaii I would leave a Gecko in your boat, would eat the critters and give you good luck. And environmentally correct I should add.
post #397 of 443 Old 06-06-2012
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Venus flytrap or other carnivores if you can grow 'em. Flypaper if you want fast results.
One of the great inventions of the 20th? 19th century, best thing since the wheel or fire.

Banned as unsanitary in some cities, but it certainly does the job.
post #398 of 443 Old 06-06-2012

Fruit flies, sewer moths, etc, are sometimes a problem with CMTs. Actually there are several types of small flies that can find their way into the collection container. There are several factors that increase the likehood of the problem; location, time of year, ventilation, etc. Screens help but if you are in an area where the are common (like two slips away from the marina dumpster) or if you keep a lot of fresh fruit (particularly fruit with soft or porous skins) onboard, they will eventually find their way into the collection container.

It takes a week to ten days for the eggs to develop into flies. The best remedy is to empty and clean out the collection container as soon as you see them. This is the downside to CMTs that hold a large amount of waste. Just emptying the container won't get rid of the eggs. Some brands, you can put a fly trap inside the housing and some brands you can empty the collection container and then tie to a line and submerge it overboard for an hour or so or else just hose it off on the dock if you are in a more secluded area. You will get some residual waste in the water, but no more than the pump out hose does when they purge the line by dropping it in the water after pumping out the holding tank.

I have only had a fly infestation on board one time during the year we used our CMT (I have used it ashore for an additional year now for research). I neglected to empty the collection container before we went ashore for several weeks because of my back problems. It is not a big problem, everywhere, all the time and it can be controlled.

If you are in an area where flies are a problem, you can mix diatomacious earth with your medium and it will kill any larva. It works mechanically, not chemically. It is non-toxic to humans and you can get it at garden supply stores. Another advantage of emptying the collection container every week is that with some systems, you may not need to ventilate the collection container. You will use more medium, but peat moss is cheap and may be worth the trade off if venting the system is problematic. Some people have said that the peat moss was infested with fly larva. That is possible I guess but I suspect the came in from the outside. If you consistantly get flies from the same batch of peat moss, buy some new or else use sawdust. Cypress sawdust is the best in my opinion because it holds a lot of moisture, but is can be hard to find.

Last edited by fireboat52; 06-07-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: grammer and explanation
post #399 of 443 Old 06-07-2012 Thread Starter

Thanks, fireboat, I'll give the diatomaceous earth a try, even before they return. How much do you recommend putting into the airhead as a preventative?

genieskip
Northeast
J40
post #400 of 443 Old 06-07-2012

If you google "diatomaceous earth composting toilets" you will get a lot of good info. The amount you need to use can vary. Fill a red pepper shaker with DE or make your own shaker from a peanut butter jar or the likes and sprinkle it on the surface of the medium after each use for three or four days.

It should also be pointed out that flies need moisture to lay their eggs in, so dehydrating CMT systems will work better at keeping flys away.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in