SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Galley Maid Alcohol tank (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/588-galley-maid-alcohol-tank.html)

windydays 01-16-2001 10:46 AM

Galley Maid Alcohol tank

We recently purchased Ericson 30 with galley maid alcohol stove - stove works fine but pressure tank should be replaced. Unable to find replacement tank. Suggestions please!

munchimike 01-19-2001 02:53 PM

Galley Maid Alcohol tank

AHOY!!....dump the stove!!!!! IMMEDIATELY!!!! I''ve seem too many burnt eyebrows etc. from those suckers!!!My bet is that for your needs a pushpit hibachi and a coleman folding campstove will serve you better......Rev. Mike

eknebel 01-21-2001 02:31 PM

Galley Maid Alcohol tank

If you let the stove preheat properly, the pressurized alchol stove is a good choice for boats, since alcohol fires can be put out with water(unlike coleman white gas stoves). Any alcohol tank from any stove manufacturer should work fine( I think the pressure limit on the galley maids was 40 psi?, but anything more than 15psi gives a steady flame.
Does the tank have a hole? gasket problem

majoun 03-12-2001 04:33 PM

Galley Maid Alcohol tank

When lighting an alcohol stove, use sterno or a similar canned heat product for the preheating. You simply smear on a small amount with your fingertip. No spillage. Significantly reduced danger. Can be purchased at Walmart. Jerry

autmleaf 08-24-2010 01:40 PM

We are going to replace the Galley Maid alcohol stove when finances improve, but will still use it carefully. Any idea where to get a replacement gasket for the tank?

mitiempo 08-24-2010 03:29 PM

The tank is only a pressure tank and one from a kerosene stove will work just as well. All it has to do is feed fuel to the stove - the stove does the rest.

oceanscapt 08-24-2010 03:30 PM

I sailed with the Galley Maid acohol stove for 8+ years and had no problems with it. It does burn with an invisible flame, produces far less heat than other types of fuel, and is getting harder to find alcohol at reasonable prices.

So, if it ain't broke, why replace it?

The trick to staring the stove is to put a bit of fuel in the bowl and light it. The fuel will heat the burner. Make sure the tank is pressurized (I think I had it at 5-7psi) then turn on the burners one at a time.

As for the fuel container, mine was fine but I did see one rig where the owner used one of those syrup containers that you find in soda machines. He had it modified so he could attach a hose, but said the wide mouth made it easy to fill, it held a lot more fuel than the original, and being stainless, worked quite well at the low pressure. Hope that helps.

SlowButSteady 08-24-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchimike (Post 1688)
... a coleman folding campstove will serve you better......Rev. Mike

Never, NEVER, NEVER use a "gasoline" (i.e., Coleman fuel) stove on a boat. You may get away with it for a while, but you would be seriously tempting fate by doing so. Alcohol is a far safer fuel.

Rants to the contrary may begin, and will be ignored, now.