Nav Station Blank Plate - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-31-2009 Thread Starter
I'd rather be sailing

Nav Station Blank Plate

We're looking to convert a portion of our nav station to support additional instrumentation. I'd like to put a face plate on the area so we can create a clean look, with all of the instruments (VHF, SSB, ST70 and NASA Barograph) mounted into it. I'm assuming the black plates I see on new boats are black anodized aluminum? Does anyone know anything about them, and where I can buy blanks? We can mill it to the appropriate size, which will be 11 x 17.75, but I need to find a piece to start with. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chris

s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob *****in'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-01-2009

FRP is a lot easier for most to work with...
McMaster-Carr

Just a suggestion.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-01-2009

When I redid my electrical panel it was black powder coated aluminum. Anodizing can scratch very easily and if you rub another bare metal against a mark will be left. I like aluminum because I can, if need be, put threads in it to mount stuff. If you are going to pursue this course, get the aluminum, mill it to size, then bring it to a custom bike or car shop. They should be able to powder coat it for you.
________
Web shows

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:32 AM.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-01-2009

Over the years I've made quite a few control panels, and Ihad stuff poweder coated and black anodized. I think its more of a choice of what look you want, they'll both hold up pretty well. However despite the fact I can do this myself I don't think I would. If you look in the experimenter electonics magazines (Circuit Cellar Ink comes to mind) you'll find advertisements for companies that produce one off face plates. They can not only cut and finish, but silkscreen legends on them too.

Gary H. Lucas
post #5 of 11 Old 11-02-2009 Thread Starter
I'd rather be sailing

Thanks... I was hoping there might be sources of the panels, blank, out there. I need to get this project started and finished this week

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-02-2009

The panel our boat came with is black starboard or equivalent. Looks good, easy to work with.

post #7 of 11 Old 11-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
We're looking to convert a portion of our nav station to support additional instrumentation. I'd like to put a face plate on the area so we can create a clean look, with all of the instruments (VHF, SSB, ST70 and NASA Barograph) mounted into it. I'm assuming the black plates I see on new boats are black anodized aluminum? Does anyone know anything about them, and where I can buy blanks? We can mill it to the appropriate size, which will be 11 x 17.75, but I need to find a piece to start with. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chris
Chris,

How are you guys? We need to catch up and speak and see about meeting down south!

Anyways, I just redid all of my panels/electronics. We used 3/4 inch plywood (of your choice) covered in a sheet of black melamine. It is VERY easy to do and very inexpensive. It looks goot too. I will show pics when I bring the camera back (it is a tthe boat now). You can buy all the stuff at Home Depot.

Talk soon,

Brian
post #8 of 11 Old 11-02-2009
Nearly an Old Salt

Frontpanelxpress.com

Note I agree re anodizing, its scratches very easily, and can discolour with age( mine did where sunlight fell on it). poweder coat is much stronger.

The plywood melamine isnt bad either, it can be a bit of a nuisence to mount switches and stuff that cant handle think panels.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-02-2009 Thread Starter
I'd rather be sailing

Thanks all... I think for the moment (since we're looking to get SOMETHING done quickly) we're going to (don't laugh) go with 0.25" aluminum that's spray painted flat black. The aluminum is only $15 and the rigidity is good for the mounting of the VHF and SSB. Ultimately, I think we'll be looking to powder coat aluminum. CD - we thought about melamine but wanted flat as opposed to glossy, plus there are some limitations with regards to thickness on the instruments. We can't find a source of black starboard that's cost effective and available. So... for now, aluminum and spray paint . I'm going to check out frontpanelexpress though...

post #10 of 11 Old 11-02-2009

Both Arborite and Formica panels are available in both glossy and flat finishes.
!/4" or 3/8" plus the laminate is plenty strong enough.
Brian

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in