Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape - Page 45 - SailNet Community
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #441 of 446 Old 11-14-2018

Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Yes, you should. Maine Sail who started this thread, sells it on his website. The link is in the OP. Not only are you assured of getting the proper quality, but I think he deserves the business for having provided the free value of the instruction in this thread.

I've purchased several rolls from him. I admit, I did purchase some hardware store variety to make a temporary sticky plug that I could remove on a project. It was intentional to have something cheap and disposable. It was clearly an inferior product.
I agree. I had bought some butyl tape from an RV store (on Amazon, I think) and it was kind of OK. Then I bought from MaineSail and I much prefer that one. A roll lasts a long time but when I run out I will surely buy from him again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #442 of 446 Old 11-14-2018

In Maine's description of how to use the butyl tape to bed hardware, he points out not to turn the bolts when tightening the nuts. What if the bolts screw into a backing plate and there is no choice but to turn them? Is butyl still recommended in that case? Background: I need to rebed a couple of stanchions that are attached with bolts that screw into backing plates that seem to be embedded in fiberglass. Thanks -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #443 of 446 Old 11-15-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
In Maine's description of how to use the butyl tape to bed hardware, he points out not to turn the bolts when tightening the nuts. What if the bolts screw into a backing plate and there is no choice but to turn them? Is butyl still recommended in that case? Background: I need to rebed a couple of stanchions that are attached with bolts that screw into backing plates that seem to be embedded in fiberglass. Thanks -
Make the "cones" a bit longer, really knead them into the threads and tighten slowly....

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #444 of 446 Old 11-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Make the "cones" a bit longer, really knead them into the threads and tighten slowly....
Thanks, I'll try it out. I still have some of your tape lying about.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #445 of 446 Old 04-08-2019
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

What is the "best practice" for installing Beckson Deck plates? I don't know if they're ABS or Polypropylene plastic or ???

Can I use Bed-it butyl with Beckson Deck Plates? They are on the top of the amas (floats) on my Trimaran. The prior owner used some kind of silicone sealant, which didn't adhere to the trim ring at all.

Thanks.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Last edited by jblumhorst; 04-08-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #446 of 446 Old 04-08-2019
al brazzi

I would use a non hardening caulk like lifecaulk, you absolutely done need 4200 or god forbid 5200 3M but there are lots of non silicone marine caulks available. Butyl requires you "squish" some out while tightening so its not suitable for softer fittings such as this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in