Waterproofing/protecting wood - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-31-2010 Thread Starter

Waterproofing/protecting wood

Basic question ..

What do you usually use to waterproof wood ? I'm not talking about wood on deck that will be exposed to the elements all the time, or even anything external, I just mean oil or something you can put on a piece of wood so that it doesn't absorb water from spills when you are making dinner, that kind of wood protection. I just want the water to bead up and not stain the wood. I usually use tung oil in woodworking, but it is pretty pricey.

Thank you in advance!

What are you pretending not to know ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 05-31-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-31-2010

Season new unfinished cutting boards and countertops with edible cooking oil, like corn or vegetable oil (but not olive oil). Rub it in three times a day for the first three days, and then re-season the surface every three months or so depending upon how often it gets wiped/ washed down.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-31-2010
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Basic question ..

What do you usually use to waterproof wood ? I'm not talking about wood on deck that will be exposed to the elements all the time, or even anything external, I just mean oil or something you can put on a piece of wood so that it doesn't absorb water from spills when you are making dinner, that kind of wood protection. I just want the water to bead up and not stain the wood. I usually use tung oil in woodworking, but it is pretty pricey.

Thank you in advance!
Wind,

I'd personally stay away from any tung oil based treatment for any food prep area -- tung oil's pretty toxic.

Walnut oil is a good sealer, and can be rubbed in very well. You can buy it prepared/extracted, or you can simply get busy cracking walnuts and wrap the meat in a piece of cloth and extract the oil yourself. We used to use leftover Xmas holiday nuts to oil wood pieces.

Another alternative is to use a wax -- Johnson's will do the trick.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-31-2010 Thread Starter

Thank you for the tips! Those are good suggestions.

I will let you know how it turns out

What are you pretending not to know ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in