Standing Rigging, DIY or pay a Professional? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

Standing Rigging, DIY or pay a Professional?

Guys I really wish the search feature worked better here! I'm sure this has been brought up more than numerous times. Sorry for that...

I've read a few articles and have pretty much accepted that I may not want to undertake this at this time. My sole is nearing completion and I really want to sail before summer slips by. I'm sure I could do the work, but I really hate to possibly spend more to do it myself - learning curves can be expensive. If I decide to pay someone, who does it that is close to Dayton, OH? Are there any Ohio guys on the boards that can recommend a reputable marina?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus

Last edited by LandLocked66c; 06-24-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-24-2010
Telstar 28

Take the mast down. Remove the rigging. Send it to riggingonly.com. Get new rigging back. Install. BTW, the POST in my sig has info on searching sailnet using google.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-24-2010

Try SSMR in St Pete B4 taking your rig down. I got a lot of advice from Knotty!

post #4 of 15 Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Take the mast down. Remove the rigging. Send it to riggingonly.com. Get new rigging back. Install. BTW, the POST in my sig has info on searching sailnet using google.
That won't work completely, I'm lengthening my mast. The PO dropped and bent the mast. I'll be adding back the 16 or so inches, so the rigging will have to be done from scratch. The current rigging is jury rigged and will obviously be to short.

I'll check out your write up on searches, thanks SD.

post #5 of 15 Old 06-25-2010
Courtney the Dancer

Contact Knothead on this forum, you will get excellent advice and he will be able to make whatever you need. You don't need a local rigger, I've gone that route before too. I had Knotty do our lifelines and he made it really easy and explained all the possible complications. It couldn't have been easier and they were perfect. I also had him make up some new sheets with snap shackles spliced in for my father's boat and he researched which line was best and did a beautiful job, and got them shipped in time to arrive for Father's day. Prices are very reasonable too. No connection, affiliation, etc, just a very satisfied customer.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #6 of 15 Old 06-25-2010 Thread Starter

Excellent, I'll give him a call.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-25-2010
Pearson 303

Another vote here for Steve (aka Knothead) and Jen at SSMR Rigging. Here is a bit about my recent experience with SSMR: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...es-review.html

Last edited by SVCarolena; 06-25-2010 at 09:42 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-25-2010 Thread Starter

So I could ship him my junk so he can see what he's dealing with. Then he could send my shrouds and stays long if I provided enough info on what length is needed. I could then finish it with sta-loc?

post #9 of 15 Old 06-25-2010
Banned

Knothead is definitely the best option. Without a doubt.

Throw him a PM.

(PS - I just can't figure out why Dog keeps hyping some online mooks over a fellow SN member. That's wrong in so many different ways - especially knowing the kind of guy Knot is. Bad form dude.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-25-2010 at 11:40 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-25-2010

i wouldn't use stay loc i'd go with Hayne on the bottom a little more money but the mandrel can be used over and over and water does not stay captive in pocket like others so no crevice corrosion in there the uppers can be wagged because you can;t get salt up in side unless you get knocked down.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in