pump out problem - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-07-2010 Thread Starter

pump out problem

I went to pump out the holding tank the other day and nothing happened. I opened the top of the holding tank and sure enough there was stuff that needed to be pumped. I tried several times but nothing would come out. I put the hose overboard to see if the pumpout was sucking. It was. I ran water into the suck-out port to see if it was clogged. nope it went in, but not out. I opened the tank again and left the cap off thinking that if the vent was clogged, air could go in thru that. Nothing. I ended up sucking everything out thru the top of the tank. What is happening, or not happening, and what should I do to fix it?
Thanks y'all,
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-07-2010

Sounds like your vent isn't the problem which is usually the case. If your pumpout fitting is on the top of the tank, I'd guess it's the pick-up tube inside the tank which is either leaking or broken.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-2010

The only thing possible is that the pump out line is getting clogged or maybe collapsing when you try to put the suck to it. If you don't see an obvious collaps it could be that the tubing has seperated inside. At any rate replace the tubeing and i bet it will fix your problem.

Mitch

post #4 of 9 Old 07-07-2010
Senior Slacker

Sounds like the dip tube may have fallen off the fitting on the top of the tank.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-07-2010

eek. Sounds like much of the reason I went to a composting toilet. Couldn't be happier. Creepy smells are gone, and no more pumpouts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheers!
Skipper Joe
post #6 of 9 Old 07-07-2010
Learning the HARD way...

Likely an air leak between the tank and the vacuum pump.

Check the fitting of the pumpout (I've had this happen to me). Splash a bucket of water over the hose and the deck fitting as you are trying to pump out the holding tank. You will likely hear a slupring noise from the vacuum leak.

My bet is it will either be the deck fitting, or the end of the vacuum nozzle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #7 of 9 Old 07-07-2010
Telstar 28

It might be the pumpout fitting on the tank, but it depends on the tank. Some use a top fitting with a dip tube, others use a fitting located on the side near the bottom of the tank. Without knowing what kind of tank you have it is hard to say if this is the problem.

It could be the hose that goes from the tank to the pumpout deck fitting. If it wasn't the right type of hose or the hose has failed, then it could be collapsing under the vacuum. If that is the case, you wouldn't get much out of the tank, if anything. When were the hoses last replaced? What kind of hose was used?

Ed's suggestion of a leak between the tank pumpout fitting and the vacuum pump is the most likely one. Either the deck fitting isn't fitting right or is damaged, or there is a leak in the hose or tank.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2010

Just went though this, we actually had a split hose between the tank and deck fittng.

I don't know at what point in the life of this boat it happened but somewhere along the time line radiator hose was used for sani lines, I've also work on a couple other (older boats ) that also have radiator hose

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Friends don't let friends do stupid things alone
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceyp View Post
what should I do to fix it?
Thanks y'all,
Bruce
Rip it all out and go with Gil's suggestion, a composting head. You'll never be sorry.
Except for the cost.
I look forward to when the Chinese start making them. The price is sure to drop to a reasonable level.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in