holding tank capacity - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-20-2010 Thread Starter
s/v Black Prince

holding tank capacity

I am having to replace the original built in fiberglass holding tank (25 yrs old) with a new tank..any experience out there about what should be the acceptable capacity for a new holding tank on a 37'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-20-2010

Hi,
I use a 48L, because it fits into the locker. You can get bladders (I personally dont use) but they can be taylor made or fit intothe bilge.

So, whatever the bigest size that can fit into the space.

Good luck, it is a Pain!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-20-2010
Telstar 28

I'd second getting the largest tank that will fit. The size of the boat matters less than how many people will be using the head and for how long.

According to Peggie Hall, the average person uses the head FIVE times a day. If you figure the head uses 1.5 pints per flush, you're looking at 15 pints per day for a couple...or basically TWO gallons per day per couple. So a fifteen gallon tank would last about a week.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

post #4 of 12 Old 10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd second getting the largest tank that will fit. The size of the boat matters less than how many people will be using the head and for how long.

According to Peggie Hall, the average person uses the head FIVE times a day. If you figure the head uses 1.5 pints per flush, you're looking at 15 pints per day for a couple...or basically TWO gallons per day per couple. So a fifteen gallon tank would last about a week.
That is about right. We have a 15 gal and it lasts the wife and I just over a week.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

post #5 of 12 Old 10-20-2010 Thread Starter
s/v Black Prince

thanks Don...but I'm curious if you have a manual head, how many pumps do you typically use to flush? The reason for my question is that my system design requires the waste to be flushed above the level of the head thru hose that fishes into the sink cabinent then up to the top of the tank...then tank is emptied then by gravity to thru hull if your offshore. So I'm using 20 pumps to make sure the waste completely empties up and into the tank...but I'm afraid that results in filling the tank too quickly
post #6 of 12 Old 10-20-2010 Thread Starter
s/v Black Prince

anyway, it sounds like a 16 gal new tank, the largest non-custom tank that will fit in the space, will be adequate
post #7 of 12 Old 10-20-2010
Telstar 28

Stiffwind—

You might want to actually test to see how many pumps it takes to clear the waste from the line... 20 pumps may be overkill. If you can use just the minimum number that clears the waste from the line, then you'll maximize the amount of time between pumpouts.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-20-2010 Thread Starter
s/v Black Prince

and that test would be performed how?
post #9 of 12 Old 10-20-2010

We did have a manual, but now we have an electric.

It usually took about 10 to 12 pumps to clear the hoses, but we would flush for water for a few pumps and then use the dry setting for the remainder.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

post #10 of 12 Old 10-20-2010 Thread Starter
s/v Black Prince

Are you happy with the electric head v. manual...or it it just another potential maintenance issue? Was the conversion difficult or expensive?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in