Bandsaw trick, Well we don't have a woodworking forum! - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 01-23-2011

Yep band-saw/router and scraps of white oak make a nice new hatch mount

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 01-23-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 01-23-2011

The glue-ends trick I did on some cut logs that were too nice for firewood. Since I have no immediate plans for them, and they're going from living in the woods to piled up in the corner of a heated/cooled shop, I painted them so they won't split. They'll probably sit there for a decade or so. Should be dry by then! If it was something I wanted to use soon I'd go to the Amish lumber yard and get something already dried. They have an amazing selection of local woods and exotics. Prices are reasonable too.

Keep the expenses low and the good times high.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
post #13 of 19 Old 01-23-2011

Toe Rails?

This sounds like the kind of thread I should ask this question.

I am planning on replacing the toe rails on a 60s vintage Allied boat. How does one make the toe rails conform to the outline of the deck.... are they typically steamed or are the pulled in cold. Also are they typically formed as one peice that has been scarfed together or are the peices assembled in place?

post #14 of 19 Old 01-23-2011

In the past when steaming wood I would allow extra length ( with larger steam box ) which would be cut off tho eliminate any end splitting, also grain is important, as grain runout is not good

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Friends don't let friends do stupid things alone
post #15 of 19 Old 01-23-2011
Banned

Doug,

Forgot this. A moisture meter will tell you if the wood is really
wet, but only on the surface. Many pieces will still be wet deeper
down, they may look dry but will feel heavy. I weigh each piece
on an accurate digital readout kitchen scale, then re-weigh a month
or so later. When the peice no longer looses weight it is ready
to work with. Yesterday I pulled 6 pieces from the freezer, put them
on the bench to weigh after the frost melts. I forgot to go back
down to weigh them. This morning I found 3 of them had developed
cracks just overnight. I will have to discount those.

Dabnis
post #16 of 19 Old 01-23-2011 Thread Starter
One of None

If I remember right the timing for steaming is 1 hr steam per inch of thickness.
Re-sawing, yes, always have a wedge handy to keep the kerf open.
Tommays! So that's how you match a hatch to the deck! Thanks!

Oh the steamer we have (unused now) is turkey fryer burner and stainless steel beer keg, with copper pipe soldered in the plug, and a radiator hose (automotive) into the insulated 12" round sheet metal pipe with caps. and a rack inside to stack the ribs. whew! did make steam! Had to use gloves to reach in!

Salty, you would need a very long steel pipe, pvc goes too soft. preparation is everything.how to get the toe rail in place and clamped to stay is the big problem. slight curves are quite easy just by soaking wood for many weeks, I've never tried bending teak.. has me wondering now.. it's oily.. I guess that would make it easier to bend.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #17 of 19 Old 01-23-2011

humph,wouldn't a chainsaw work just as good
post #18 of 19 Old 01-23-2011

If I was doing a toe rail I would build a 14' steam box out of 1.5" foiled insulation board and at that length you would need 2 steam sources, Wagner wallpaper steamers, a couple of propane fired kettles on a camp fire stove or a setup like Denises would work great, however, I think advantage goes to Denises setup cause you have to use a freshly emptied Keg

I would have everything I needed to fasten the rail ready. I would have laid out a couple lengths of rail material and do all the pre-cuts, holes for fasteners and the lap joints at all ends. then I would steam one length at a time, when it was ready ( couple hours ) I would start at one end and fasten & bend as I worked my way around. You've got to move along pretty deliberately as the longer it takes to achive the bend, the more springback you'll have to deal with

PS;
Where's Charlie, you know he's got good tips

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Friends don't let friends do stupid things alone
post #19 of 19 Old 01-23-2011 Thread Starter
One of None

A few years ago when visiting mystic seaport museum I was watching the crew planking the Amistad replica with I think was 2" white oak I didn't see it but I'm sure they were steaming some of those those planks lol

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in