Let's be inventive - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-09-2011 Thread Starter
One of None

Question Let's be inventive

I hate the contortions I have to get into to open or close seacocks. It occurred to me If I had some sort of "adapter" to fit over the stem nut and flat steel handle and fit let's say a standard ratchet handle.. Or that with LONG semi flexible extensions. It could mean less boats sinking by forgotten seacocks.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-09-2011

Just keep them closed.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-09-2011 Thread Starter
One of None

lol

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

post #4 of 12 Old 04-09-2011

When i replaced them in Seafever i went with the Groco BV series because of the much better ability to change the handle position to make each one easy to reach

The bronze handle is definitely up to the mounting of some creative hardware

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
post #5 of 12 Old 04-09-2011
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

When i replaced them in Seafever i went with the Groco BV series because of the much better ability to change the handle position to make each one easy to reach

The bronze handle is definitely up to the mounting of some creative hardware
Nice, very nice indeed.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-09-2011
Courtney the Dancer

I've drilled a 7/16" hole near the end of the handles on some of the more difficult ones and I have a 3' piece of 3/8" SS rod that is bent at 90 degrees at the end. I just hook the end of the rod into the hole (a little difficult to line up on some) and either pull or push. Some do not open 100% if the pull is directly towards me, but it comes pretty close.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #7 of 12 Old 04-09-2011 Thread Starter
One of None

tommays, Groco... NICE!

JRD that's an idea. The most difficult for me is under the galley sink.

My last project!
post #8 of 12 Old 04-09-2011
Senior in age only!!!

Good idea but you need to be careful about the amount of leverage applied.
Old valves can sheer or it,s quite possible to disturb the skin fitting if too much torque is applied.
Might be best to strip and overhaul or replace during haul out.

Safe sailing

The great appear great because you are on your knees. James Larkin, Irish Labour Movement.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-10-2011

I've sheered them. Yup, placing a pipe extension on the lever. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Didn't sink the boat but did end up with an extra haul and replacement. Was a new to me boat at the time, and all I wanted to do was clean a strainer for the generator.

That said, boat builders frequently put them in the most awful locations. For that reason, we don't tend to exercise them, and when you need to they are stuck.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-10-2011

You could install these, a bit pricey, and big but then you wouldn't need to see the valve, they are used in industry to hold back all kinds of nasty chemicals, add the instriment switches and you will know if it is open or closed, just need a bit of air to operate. Would be good for a valve in a very hard place to get to on a normal basis, but could be got to with some removale of cabnetry, or interlocked on a larger boat.
[URL="http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DYNAQUIP-CONTROLS-Ball-Valve-3TPH8"]

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in