Lewmar 40ST Wavegrip - put together wrong? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2011 Thread Starter

Lewmar 40ST Wavegrip - put together wrong?

OK, I'm working on the winches and I'm stumped on the 40's. This is my first time doing them on this boat. Whoever did them the last time was a hack.They are loaded with grease like you would a wheel bearing (including the pawls). The spacer that should be between the two sets of roller bearings according to the schematic I have is MIA on both winches. (http://www.pyacht.com/graphics/Lew_WG_40st.gif item #19).

I have 2 issues.
1. I can't figure out how to remove the set of gears that the spindle sits in. The schematic shows them already removed. This is a 2 part deal and the smaller gear is on the bottom with the larger one on top. The cutout in the side of the spindle sleeve is big enough if the larger one was on bottom but not when it's on top. Did some one get these in backwards before or am I just missing something. I don't think there is enough clearance to seperate the two while they are inside the case/sleeve.

2. The spindle on the port side winch will not pull out. It's as if the pawls are locked in the expanded state. I can turn the gear and spindle so the pawls must be moving. Kinda confused on this one.

Thanks in advance
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-2011

Go to the Lewmar site and click on the ocean st winches, there is a video telling how to take the winches down for service. Hope it helps you, it did me.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2011 Thread Starter

Alas these are not Oceanwave winches and don't really have much in common with them. One thing that doesn't impress me about Lewmar is their lack of any support for earlier models.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2011
STARBOARD!!

I have 42ST's; the picture looks almost the same for mine. The way you remove the gears is to first remove the spindles. If you can't get the spindles out you will need to tap on them with hammer and a flat blade screwdriver. Once they move upward you will be able to pull them out easily. I wish they had used a shoulder bolt here. The gears should then slide out laterally from the side.

Be sure you also fully disassemble the self tailing head off of the winch drum and grease the slip ring and all of the mating surfaces of the aluminum to the drum, the aluminum to aluminum surfaces on the jaws, and the bolt threads and heads for the bolts. Everything should be well packed with grease in there so that salt water can't intrude and cause galvanic corrosion. I have one winch with an upper jaw that looks like swiss cheese. Luckily it is still OK on the mating surfaces and the sliding surfaces.

If you look at that photo again; the spindle on the left in the photo has the larger gear on the bottom; smaller gear on top. The spindle on the right has the larger gear on top, smaller on bottom. You should be able to estimate the width of the spacer by wear marks on the spindle if they are still visible; otherwise, measure the length of the outer race on the drum and then subtract the height of the two stacked bearings. This should get you close; maybe subtract .050 or .1 inch for clearance at the top. Then get a plastic tube of suitable size to cut for a replacement spacer.

Use Lewmar Gear Grease. You can buy it in the ~5 oz tub, it's cheaper that way; but it's still super expensive. Don't know if you can find Calcium Sulphonate grease elsewhere cheaper, but I will be looking for a different source next time I need to buy it.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 04-12-2011 at 12:18 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-09-2011

Hi how did you make out with your winches. I also have older Lewmar #40 that I am trying to clean up. I don't believe they have ever been taken apart to clean. So I got everything apart except the center shaft that holds the internal gears. I removed the key, but can only get about 1/8 inch play in the shaft. I assume that this shaft should come out for cleaning. The gears inside are real gummed up, so I need to be able to clean the old grease. Thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 05-09-2011

That may not be your winch in the picture , There are 4 different 40st winches made in the early 80's they are
a/ Black Top cap with 6 socket Hex headed screws
b/ Black top cap with 4 socket Hex headed'' screws
c/ Black top cap with 4 x cross head screws
d/ Chrome top cap - No screws
I have been in contact with [email protected]
to order the parts for mine . the only people who seem to have the correct parts & knoledge (they are in england)
post #7 of 8 Old 05-09-2011

Mine is B Black top cap with 4 Hex headed screws.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-09-2011

Success!!!!!! I got all it all taken apart. The grease was no longer grease but a sticky slug. I basicly had to chip it all all. Now on to the next one.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in