Depthfinder transducer - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2011 Thread Starter

Depthfinder transducer

hi!,i have an old dephfinder that i've become quite fond of,this spring it stopped working i'm almost sure the problem is with the tranduser,i happen to have a new transduser of an unknown brand or model but is of the exact size and appearence as the old one only with a slightly different plugin plug,i'm thinking of splicing the old plugin onto the new transduser[i don't suppose i have anything to lose] but i was wondering what are the chances that its compatable,any thoughts by anyone? btw this is a old backup dephfinder that i like better than my primary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-26-2011
Beneteau F310 ~ APOTHIC

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
hi!,i have an old dephfinder that i've become quite fond of,this spring it stopped working i'm almost sure the problem is with the tranduser,i happen to have a new transduser of an unknown brand or model but is of the exact size and appearence as the old one only with a slightly different plugin plug,i'm thinking of splicing the old plugin onto the new transduser[i don't suppose i have anything to lose] but i was wondering what are the chances that its compatable,any thoughts by anyone? btw this is a old backup dephfinder that i like better than my primary
I believe that Airmar makes most of the transducers out there. You may be able to send them the specifics of your wires / plugs and get an authoritative answer. I would put the chances at slim if the plugs are different. Sure would be nice if there could be a simple standard for wind, depth, and speed transducer wiring.

Beneteau F310 ~ Apothic
PYC, Lake Ontario
post #3 of 6 Old 05-26-2011 Thread Starter

yeah i know my spelling is terrible,the finder is on my boat some distance away and i can quite remember the brand and the new tranducer has absolutely no idenifying numbers or marks,the plugin is very simular but not exact

post #4 of 6 Old 05-26-2011

I'm no expert, but did recently replace my transducer with a new in-hull one.

What I learnt was that transducers may look the same, but they operate at different frequencies (and I think different power levels). You need to discover the frequency your depthfinder uses, and match it.

As cghubbell said, pretty well all transducers are made by Airmar, and either sold directly or rebadged by the 'finder manufacturer. if you know the name and model of the 'finder, give Airmar a call. They may be able to advise. And/or try and research it on the web - it's amazing how many 20 or 30-year old manuals can sometimes be found!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2011 Thread Starter

i kindof suspected that,but as the finder is very old and i already have the new transducer,i doubt i really have anything to lose by just trying,thanks guys lol even a blind hog will sometimes find a few acorns

Last edited by sawingknots; 05-26-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: add
post #6 of 6 Old 05-26-2011

Just remember to keep the head of the new transducer in the water (I dangled it over the side of the boat for testing). Apparently if a transducer is exposed to air when turned on, that can kill it. Urban myth? Dunno, but I wouldn't risk it!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in