My Hurth is supposed to.... - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 Old 07-25-2011
Learning the HARD way...

One more thing... While I agree that the BEST way to drain the fluid (again, Dextron III) would be through the plug, I don't do it that way. I use my Oil change vacuum pump
to suck the ATF out from the top in the fall. I suck all of it out, then pour an entire quart of new fresh ATF into the transmission (in addition to displacing moisture, it keeps the seals from drying out too). In the spring I suck the ATF out until I reach the correct level.

There are many posts elsewhere about the fact that the drain plug is steel, and the threaded drain hole, that you cannot see, on the bottom of the transmission case is aluminum (guess which will strip first). Also, it ain't leaking, and I don't want it to start.
deniseO30 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 07-25-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 07-25-2011
Tartan 27' owner

A4 vs Diesel Hurth

Most Atomic 4 setups do not use the Hurth transmission.
With the A4 engine you are supposed to leave it in fwd when sailing as reverse uses the reverse clutch.
IIRC, the Hurth tranny 'likes' to be put into reverse when sailing. Is that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Well, first thing I've noticed; the shift into fwd or rev needs almost no effort now.

Phoxie. I don't think you have a Hurth Trans on the A4

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #33 of 52 Old 06-05-2018

Re: My Hurth is supposed to....

My Hurth HBW50 is slipping in forward. Once in engages it stays engaged.
Someone told me to run paint thinner in it and click through forward and reverse several times until it consistently engages. then drain and refill again.
Sound crazy??

Please send me recommendations.

Last edited by Ron DeRu; 06-06-2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: I should not have put my email in there.

post #34 of 52 Old 06-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Update! changed the fluid. it was dark dark brown almost black. new is red. will change it again in a few weeks. Changed the engine oil too. hot nasty work!
Did you drain from the bottom or took out from the top?
Did you replace the crush washer? I had a hard time finding a new washer (HBW 50), finally a Honda dealer saved me....
post #35 of 52 Old 06-06-2018

First, this thread is 7 years old and the OP sold her boat a couple of years back. Since this is an unrealted query, I'll add to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron DeRu View Post
My Hurth HBW50 is slipping in forward. Once in engages it stays engaged.
Sounds like worn plates or thrust bearing. As they slip, the friction causes heat which expands them just enough to work. Consider it a warning for imminent complete failure. BTDT. In my case, forward was slipping, reverse worked fine. Of course, forward was used substantially more, resulting in more wear.

Quote:
Someone told me to run paint thinner in it and click through forward and reverse several times until it consistently engages. then drain and refill again.
Sound crazy??
Yes

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #36 of 52 Old 06-06-2018

Minnewaska

Thank you for the advise! I'm scheduling a tran replacement. Unfortunately everyone is booked for the summer. Trying to find a work around. For now I have installed a LH prop, so to go forward I put it in reverse. This has worked for me but of course I have no reverse and an emergent situation will be problematic. Seems like 700 hours on a transmission is very little. I'm not impressed with Hurth. Any recommendations?

Ron
post #37 of 52 Old 06-06-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Ron-
I think that "logically" the only thing that paint thinner could do, being a solvent, would be to dissolve any accumulated varnish or buildup that was making the transmission slip. And to quote an old tv show, "Homey don't think so."
I don't think anyone's idea of a fun weekend is to pull out and dismantle a transmission, but you might want to have that pulled and overhauled, so you can be SURE that you won't get stuck someplace when the situation is worse.
Not to mention, who knows what is in generic "thinner" and how seals or other parts might react to it over the longer term.
post #38 of 52 Old 06-06-2018

Control linkage should be in centre of FNR detent when in N Then ensure travel each way is enough to push the cones.
post #39 of 52 Old 06-06-2018

Not sure how buried the gear is in your boat. I could get mine out in 30 mins, if it was on the hard. It took a nearby tranny shop one week to turn around a rebuild. These are very simple gears.

If I had the right presses and calipers, Im convinced I could have done it myself. Rebuild kits are available. Not that I had the time, nor inclination.

I dont think there is anything inherently wrong or inferior with a ZF/Hurth gear. Hours are not always a good indicator. Some gears are oversized for the boat, others are undersized. Does the captain hammer the gear hard to manage current or stop a boat in a slip. Lots of variables.

I bought my current boat with about 400 hrs on the engine/gear. It was showing signs already and crapped out on me around 1000 hrs.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #40 of 52 Old 06-06-2018

Guys, Thanks for all the help.
I already checked for a full throw on the shifter. That's not the problem.
Catalina 34 requires a complete engine lift/removal to get at the transmission.
Furthermore the engineers put the trans mounting bolts INSIDE the bell housing (the turds).
Got one estimate for $6500 to do the job.
Another estimate for $2500 but I don't think they realize the scope of the work.
Another party said trans shops will not rebuild the HBW50 anymore. "too many moving parts, can't warranty the work"
Another party recommended the PRM60D2.

This is a decision above my pay grade,
signed ... screwed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in