SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   favourite marine battery (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/86758-favourite-marine-battery.html)

floridajaxsailor 04-27-2012 10:35 PM

favourite marine battery

a bit like asking us musicians which mics we prefer, the list is endless, and opinions of the stubborn bend

however, sound off on a mid range battery of high quality that uses the latest cell technology...

perhaps if it is kosher can u post your price paid

cheers:)

mitiempo 04-27-2012 10:45 PM

Re: favourite marine battery

The latest technology is Lithium Ion batteries - at very high prices currently.

AGM is more affordable and has advantages as well as disadvantages.

Flooded are the most forgiving of charge voltages and mild abuse and also the best value - in particular 6 volt golf cart batteries in series or series/parallel.
The best of these at a reasonable price is Trojan. Rolls/Surrette is the best ignoring price.

floridajaxsailor 04-27-2012 10:52 PM

interesting Brian!

wow I googled some Lith Ions, $1000 for a battery
who would have thought back in the Sears Automotive days...
yet the technology is remarkable
-JD

Minnewaska 04-27-2012 11:03 PM

Unlike anchors, you can't simply swap one type for another (flooded, gel, agm) There are alternator, charger, wiring, regulator issues. It gives me a headache. Some swaps would ruin the batteries, others would ruin the alternator, if you don't get these right.

Also, what is most important? Longevity, deep cycling, max amp hrs, winter storage, maintenance, etc. My headache is coming back.

mitiempo 04-27-2012 11:04 PM

AGM batteries are not that new, early 70's, but many are changing to them.
They are expensive compared to flooded batteries but bargains compared to Lithium Ion. They have advantages - no water adding, can be laid on their side, and accept much more currant than flooded. But they have their charging issues and for a large bank common on cruising sailboats really require an upgrade to the charging system.

My preference is tried and true flooded batteries. The maintenance isn't more than a few minutes a month and they will often outlast AGM batteries.

souljour2000 04-28-2012 01:00 AM

The one that's got charge...:)

chef2sail 04-28-2012 01:57 AM

Lifeline AGM GL-4CT 6 volt- Ive seen them as low as 259 including shipping but you must wait for a deal. Usually $300 a piece. 5 year warrenty....first year unlimited...then prorated.

To use these AGM it oinly makes sense to buy if you match charging system to them.

Dave

SimonV 04-28-2012 07:01 AM

West marine gels 2005 still going strong.

NautiC25 04-28-2012 08:18 AM

Had some WM batteries and they failed fast. I bought two Interstate 27's and they've been going strong for a while now on a solar charger. They were a great value with local representation. I thought being able to return to the actual store for warranty claims was the most important thing.

I didn't go with anything fancy because you can almost buy several of the Interstates for what you pay for the others.

tommays 04-28-2012 09:07 AM

Costco