When does the fun start? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 08-23-2012

Re: When does the fun start?

Boats need care, always and forever. The sun, the sea, all the elements are wearing down every part, all the time. I have a list of things to be done. Lists, actually: what keeps me from sailing, what I can do later... you need to prioritize. You don't have to do everything before casting off the lines, and you never will. Maintenance is not mere drudgery. It's a puzzle, a challenge and the reward when something behaves the way it's supposed to. I freed up a stubborn water pump while rocking and rolling offshore. I emerged from under the sink covered with sweat and wearing a big smile. You don't have to be a mechanic to keep a boat. I am the poster child for that. I take it one project at a time, one step at a time. Buy books, post to Sailnet. Join a group for owners of your model of boat. One more thing, for the sake of safety, you want to be at the helm with an awareness of your boat, its systems, how they work, how they interact. That's huge.
jameswilson29 likes this.

[SIGPIC]New at boat ownership.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
about it. Join the conversation. Advice welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 08-23-2012
Seattle Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstuller View Post
Looking at the forums it is obvious that the gear & maintenance forums have far more viewers than any other forum. It is a safe assumption that most boat owners spend far more time on maintenance than sailing.
What's wrong with this picture? What is causing all these maintenance problems that steal time from actually using your boat?
Faulty premise. The logic suggests that because members are searching the gear and maintenance forums that translates to what they are doing when at their boat. I would submit that I don't need anyone to tell me or help me to know how to have fun on my boat. Went out for a nice 3 hours race last night with 5 friends and didn't need to post any any forum to figure out how to do that. I did, however, need to seek out help to fix the control unit wiring for my autopilot last week. That took an hour to fix, but a perplexing problem like this may result in many helpful (and probably a few unhelpful) posts.

My only concern is why I am taking the time to respond to this thread instead of releasing the dock lines and taking off....

PDean
CS 34
Seattle, WA
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
post #13 of 28 Old 08-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Looking at the forums it is obvious that the gear & maintenance forums have far more viewers than any other forum. It is a safe assumption that most boat owners spend far more time on maintenance than sailing.
What's wrong with this picture? What is causing all these maintenance problems that steal time from actually using your boat?
I think the people on the maintenance forum have the well kept boats and the people who AREN'T on the forum are out sailing the scruffy boats.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

post #14 of 28 Old 08-23-2012

Quote:
Your premis is wrong IMHO. I do not think it is a safe assumption at all. People are more likely to post about G&M because they need info. When you are out sailing, what are you going to post about? I don't consider looking at new gadgets like chartplotters and radar work. That's sailing related fun that I can do when I'm not at the boat.
post #15 of 28 Old 08-23-2012

I woudn't want to add up the hours spent maintaining/fixing the boat v. actual sailing time under way. But that's not the point. I got my own boat so I could spend time on the boat regardless of what I'm doing. And so I can set things up just the way I want them.
Their are two types of people who sail. SAILORS; folks who not only love to sail but also find enjoyment in taking care of their boat and just hanging out w/ other SAILORS...

CHARTERERS: Not literally, but people who want to sail but really don't like or want to do the dirty work. They either pay someone to do most of it or ignore it until it breaks.

From my observation the CHARTERERS are also the one's who just hoist the sails and sorta steer towards somewhere. Sail trim? What's that? Hold a steady course? eh.

Not a slam against them, but the people who are really into SAILING take pride in their boats, in their ability to fix stuff and have pretty decent seamanship skills.
I realize this is a generalization but it tends to hold true over time.
I make a point of doing something to improve my boat every time I go out. I've got a huge list of stuff I want to do to tweak things, most of which are not pressing in any sense of the word, just stuff I want to change.

Just my .02

CS 36M DIANTHUS
post #16 of 28 Old 08-23-2012

I look at our boat as an investment. I love the sailing but maintenance is part of keeping value in the boat. Knowing all your systems is invaluable when many times you end up having to repair them yourself....be it for cost, convenience or simply the lack of someone else who is willing able or even anywhere around to do it for you.
There is also the satisfaction in caring for the boat and then having it sail well, be safe and all the systems function well. For our family it is all part of the sailing experience.
post #17 of 28 Old 08-23-2012
Banned

IMHO many people acquire boats that are more complex and bigger than they really need.

But much of the fun of boats is in tinkering. What you see on SN is a lot of the tinkerers who enjoy messing around in the yard.
jameswilson29 likes this.
post #18 of 28 Old 08-23-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQuinn View Post
I look at our boat as an investment...
I, too, see my boat as an investment...a bad investment...
post #19 of 28 Old 08-23-2012

Can't sail while I'm at work, but I can surf the net (and no internet or TV on boat). G&M is by far the most insightful forum. I'll spend more time sailing after work than I will here, so......

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
post #20 of 28 Old 08-23-2012
Courtney the Dancer

If you're not having fun doing the maintenance and repairs you might have bought the wrong boat....
Cal28 and SloopJonB like this.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in