Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg. - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 165 Old 08-27-2014
Old enough to know better

Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

I can't get over that a guy who's last name is Trot is in the toilet business. I am sure he got teased a lot as having the trots. Perhaps it is like the inventor of the toilet being Mr Crapper. (not sure if is true or not, don't really care)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 165 Old 09-03-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

The moderators spent considerable time discussing the posts about the Airhead product after receiving a complaint from the owner of the company that his email was posted without his permission and that the posts were damaging to his company's reputation (among other requests).

It was decided to replace the thread minus the text from the owner's email instead of deleting all posts responding to the Airhead comment. We feel that the remaining portions tell the story without it just fine.

Several issues were part of the discussion. Among them, that the original poster did break forum rules by registering just to air a grievance and posting it multiple times. However, he provided solid reasons for his displeasure. In his message to the moderators the company owner never said that the exchange didn't occur.

Also, the owner had the opportunity to defend his reputation (and still does) but instead chose to ask that the posts be removed.

So, the thread is returned as noted above and we will moderate as needed.

Note - New information received has resulted in furter editting. (tdw)

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Last edited by tdw; 10-07-2014 at 06:25 PM.
post #143 of 165 Old 09-03-2014

Donna,
Thank you for the explanation. It's clear that you and the other moderators made a thoughtful decision and I have no desire to second guess it.

I did, however, want to ask a clarifying question. The owner of the company complained that his email was posted without his permission. Was that part of the consideration?

I've always thought that emails were like letters. Once they are sent, they belong to the recipient, not the sender. And the sender has relinquished any control unless otherwise specified in the email. Is that incorrect? I'm just wondering in general about posting an email that one has received.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD

post #144 of 165 Old 09-03-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
.. The owner of the company complained that his email was posted without his permission. Was that part of the consideration?

I've always thought that emails were like letters. Once they are sent, they belong to the recipient, not the sender. And the sender has relinquished any control unless otherwise specified in the email. Is that incorrect? I'm just wondering in general about posting an email that one has received.
Yes. That was part of the discussion. I tried to research it to the best of my ability and it seemed there was always a "but..." or "it depends [on this or that situation]" and frankly it started to get beyond my pay grade here. Because we didn't have access to the original email in its original form, we had no way of knowing if the company attached a privacy statement to the email.

We felt that removing that text didn't take away from the essence of the post.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #145 of 165 Old 09-03-2014
Old enough to know better

Well, I can see why he did not try to defend himself here. It rarely turns out well, because of the emotion the owners of the small companies have and it is very hard to take criticism about something you have put your life's blood (and in this case a more than a little other body fluids/solids) into. It is hard to not get emotional, as can be seen in the past from anchor manufactures that tried to do it. I have seen cases where it works, but you have to be very professional to do it correctly. If there was any truth to the emails (and it does not sound like he was saying that they were fabricated) then there really is no defending it anyway. It is an example of the emotional ties small companies have towards there products. I do plan on using a composting toilet, and this thread may in fact sway what direction I may go.

Now we only see one side of this, but it sure seems like he should have just sent a new upper unit and been done with the whole ordeal. Could not cost him more than $20 including shipping. Taking it personally the way he did just made for an upset customer. Everyone knows a happy customer will tell a few people, an unhappy one will tell many more. This is a case of that.
post #146 of 165 Old 09-03-2014

I went with the C-head and will be installing this week or next. It will be vented to the outside. The question is where to place the vent. I'm leaning towards placing the vent aft of the cockpit while other owners of have placed the vent directly over the head which on the Nor'sea is next to the cockpit. My reasoning for placing the vent aft of the cockpit is any odors are not passing over the occupied cockpit. The downside of an aft vent is a longer hose which reduces airflow.

Any body have thoughts on the vent placement?

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #147 of 165 Old 09-03-2014

I ended up connecting the vent to the hole used for the former waste pumpout. I didn't see any point in putting another hole in the deck so I ran the hose to the existing hole and put a cowl vent over it. In conditions that might put the deck awash, I just screw in the old vent cap.

Been using the system all season with no problems. Some of the best money spent on the boat.

So, the vent is in front of the cockpit, but it hasn't been a problem odorwise. Also, our slip neighbor has a composter and we haven't noticed any odor from them either.

Please note that ours is an airhead and theirs is a natureshead. I don't think that would be different from the c-head.
post #148 of 165 Old 09-03-2014
Old soul

Re AH owner letter; under the Copyright laws of the US I believe the writer automatically owns all rights to any work created, and that would include a letter. Their may be an implied grant of rights, but legally, unless someone grants permission for a republication, that right remains with the copyright owner. So I would say the short answer is the AH owner does have the right to restrict publication. I think you made the right legal call Donna.

That said, it is unfortunate the fellow did not want to at least try and offer a counter explanation. I've always thought highly of AH and would have purchased one if it had fit in our head. This event certainty gives me pause.

Re venting: capt. a properly functioning composted will not produce any offensive odours, so I don't think it matters where you place the vent. In addition, you'll still be exposed to the vent stream when you run downwind, won't you?

Why go fast, when you can go slow

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #149 of 165 Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Sailor View Post

The problem I find is people who haven't used them, won't use them. The men pee over the side, and hold their poop, the women cross there legs and ask to stop ashore. Women, in particular, never want to come back. So it turns a yacht into a day sailor and turns people off to sailing.
This sound odd to me.
I can imagine a couple people.

How many different groups of people behaved like this?

Did you have a regular crew member with you that maybe without your knowledge somehow gave the new people from each group the idea that it was a problem.

I would think that since a head is a new experience for any new person the details of how it worked shouldn't matter much.
MikeOReilly likes this.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #150 of 165 Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
I went with the C-head and will be installing this week or next. It will be vented to the outside. The question is where to place the vent. I'm leaning towards placing the vent aft of the cockpit while other owners of have placed the vent directly over the head which on the Nor'sea is next to the cockpit. My reasoning for placing the vent aft of the cockpit is any odors are not passing over the occupied cockpit. The downside of an aft vent is a longer hose which reduces airflow.

Any body have thoughts on the vent placement?
I wouldn't worry about the longer hose. We installed a Nature's Head a few weeks ago and vented to the pump out. In our case, between the twists and turns, it was almost 24 feet of hose. The air is pushing out just fine.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

Tags
air head , composting toilet , head , waste odors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in