SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/93113-air-head-composting-toilet-similar-mfg.html)

Skipper Jer 05-01-2013 01:16 PM

Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

I've been following these composting toilet threads for a while now. My boat needs a toilet, and I'm convinced it will be a composting one. I'm just not about to spend almost a grand for a plastic bucket with a stirring stick. Just not gonna do it. So I guess I'll have to build one, can't be that hard. I have a few questions. In the picture above why is there a lid covering the collection chamber? If its to provide a seal why not put a gasket on the backside of the seat and the surface of the lid that mates with the seat? That would form an air seal. Second, why are these units taller than a porta-potty or a conventional water toilet? I understand the purpose of the stirring stick is to break up the solid material and mix it with the peat moss or coconut fiber.

wolfenzee 05-01-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy2000 (Post 1023870)
Congrats, I'd say you made out like a bandit. You should've been wearing a bandanna over your face when you picked it up.:p

But of course this post is worthless without pic's.....

I've gotten good at that, like the pair of bronze Barient 2-speed winches ($140), RayMarine RL_72 Plus ($125), Dickinson stainless barbeque and wood stove ($0), 180% Genny w/ roller furling gear, 180% Genny hank-on, 35' luff Yankee, 25' luff Yankee, 35' luff working jib (total $450), all new 1/4" 316ss standing rigging ($250), Tamaya no2 Sextant ($40), Flat compass w/5" card and bronze binnicale ($200), 7" bronze bell ($0), running & stern lights 4 1/2" w/bronze cap $50, etc....

troy2000 05-01-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainmeme (Post 1023895)
I've been following these composting toilet threads for a while now. My boat needs a toilet, and I'm convinced it will be a composting one. I'm just not about to spend almost a grand for a plastic bucket with a stirring stick. Just not gonna do it. So I guess I'll have to build one, can't be that hard. I have a few questions. In the picture above why is there a lid covering the collection chamber? If its to provide a seal why not put a gasket on the backside of the seat and the surface of the lid that mates with the seat? That would form an air seal. Second, why are these units taller than a porta-potty or a conventional water toilet? I understand the purpose of the stirring stick is to break up the solid material and mix it with the peat moss or coconut fiber.

Judging from pic's at C-Head's website, it looks like Sandy (the owner) tried attaching the sealing lid to the toilet lid at one time. I can think of a couple of reasons that might not have turned out to be practical, including the precision needed to make the lid fit properly. For example, just a small shift in the plastic bolts attaching the toilet lid and seat could have moved the sealing lid enough to keep it from doing its job.

Sometimes simple solutions are so practical there's no sense getting fancy.... it isn't exactly a hardship to grab the lid and set it out of the way, and I'd say it beats having to use a coffee filter every time you go.

And unlike the Air Head or Nature's Head, the C-Head does happen to be the same height as a standard toilet.

You're right; it isn't really that hard to build your own - assuming you have a work space and the time, and are reasonably handy with tools. In fact, it sounds like a good idea. But in my life, time to fiddle around building stuff instead of buying it has been shrinking for years now. When I retire I'll theoretically have plenty of time, but I'm hoping to have my boat in the water by then. Taking on sub-projects along the way would just complicate things....

troy2000 05-01-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfenzee (Post 1023900)
I've gotten good at that, like the pair of bronze Barient 2-speed winches ($140), RayMarine RL_72 Plus ($125), Dickinson stainless barbeque and wood stove ($0), 180% Genny w/ roller furling gear, 180% Genny hank-on, 35' luff Yankee, 25' luff Yankee, 35' luff working jib (total $450), all new 1/4" 316ss standing rigging ($250), Tamaya no2 Sextant ($40), Flat compass w/5" card and bronze binnicale ($200), 7" bronze bell ($0), running & stern lights 4 1/2" w/bronze cap $50, etc....

If one'a dem winches disappears, I don't know nuttin' about it. OK? So don't come boderin' me...:D

wolfenzee 05-01-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy2000 (Post 1023906)
If one'a dem winches disappears, I don't know nuttin' about it. OK? So don't come boderin' me...:D

I made the winch mounts out of 2" thick silver bali (90bf was given to me by the same guy who gave me the 7" bronze bell), the only way to get them out is with a chain saw.

troy2000 05-01-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfenzee (Post 1023910)
I made the winch mounts out of 2" thick silver bali (90bf was given to me by the same guy who gave me the 7" bronze bell), the only way to get them out is with a chain saw.

I'm not da only guy in da world what owns a chainsaw, y'know? I'm just sayin'....;)

But in reality, I'm probably more envious of the BBQ, the wood stove and the brass bell.

troy2000 05-01-2013 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A pic of the C-head in use. Well, right after use, anyway... this is supposed to be a family-friendly forum.:)

katsailor 05-01-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copacabana (Post 962371)
Most boat guys sit to pee anyway, don't they?

I hope this helps.

Ahhhhh NO

troy2000 05-01-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katsailor (Post 1023972)
Ahhhhh NO

If I'm in my underwear, and sometimes if I'm just wearing pants instead of coveralls, I'll sit. Otherwise it isn't that hard to use a C-Head standing up, as long as your aim is reasonably good.

miatapaul 05-01-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy2000 (Post 1023989)
If I'm in my underwear, and sometimes if I'm just wearing pants instead of coveralls, I'll sit. Otherwise it isn't that hard to use a C-Head standing up, as long as your aim is reasonably good.

Yea, and how many drinks you have had! But everyone knows real sailors sit!:laugher

I really like the idea of the C-Head, just not sure if I like the home depot parts element to it. In some ways they look more finished than an air head or a Natures head, but the stirring mechanism looks a bit homebrewed. I plan on living aboard in the winter when pump-outs are not really available and I don't see taking a boat with shrink-wrap 3 miles out!