Clueless Sister-in-law Needs Help! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 10-29-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

Re: Clueless Sister-in-law Needs Help!

I love the 3/4 finger Harkens I've had for 5 years now.

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 10-30-2012 Thread Starter

Thank you guys! I think I finally have enough info to start looking at a few pairs - thanks for the pics of the "flashy" Harkens - those are exactly what I was picturing .
post #13 of 23 Old 10-30-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

Hey, since your buying for three guys, by three different brands, then they can tell them apart and you can report back on a side by side comparison Although you won't be able to report on durability for a LONG time if they only use them once a year.

S/V Lilo
1964 Islander 32
Saint Helens, OR

post #14 of 23 Old 10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
These look cool and are good gloves.

I actually wear a very old pair of Ronstan gloves, not very cool looking but they fit like a ....

I have a pair of these. Tough as nails, have lasted for several seasons now. Totally worth the extra $10 you spend on these, but get them on sale for even better deal.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #15 of 23 Old 10-30-2012

I use leather bicycle gloves. They hold up great. IMO, there is nothing unique about sailing that precludes use of any snug, fingerless, leather glove.

Sabre 38 "Victoria"
post #16 of 23 Old 10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I use leather bicycle gloves. They hold up great. IMO, there is nothing unique about sailing that precludes use of any snug, fingerless, leather glove.
I find the fingers on bike gloves to be too short. I want a glove that will protect my hand from rope burn.when a line runs through.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #17 of 23 Old 10-30-2012
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

How well gloves fit is a very intimate thing, so my #1 priority would be getting the gloves from a real STORE if you can, making it easy for them to be exchanged if you get the wrong fit.

The odds are about the same as would happen if one of them went out to get you a bra. For about the same reasons.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-31-2012 Thread Starter

Okay I'm torn between the Gill 3/4 Pro Racers and the Harken 2083 Reflex Gloves. They both seem to have patented synthetic materials: Proton-Ultra and Dura-Grip for the Gills and Black Magic for the Harkens. Any advice on what's better?

Also - I can't find any reviews for the newest Harkens, while everybody seems to love the Gills. Anybody have any advice on whether to go with the tried and true or to trust Harken to have made a quality pair?
post #19 of 23 Old 10-31-2012

Fingerless gloves are not all the same. Some sports are only interested in protecting your palm, such a cycling, and don't have enough protection on your fingers. You need good protection right up to the knuckle below the tip of your finger.

Not sure how you're going to size a gift. I've had both L and XL that fit well from different brands. Be sure you can return to change sizes, particularly if you're ordering this far in advance of Christmas.

I do like the Gills posted by Jack. I've had them in my hand, ready to buy a few times. I just don't really need another pair. I have three sets aboard. These have held up the best and are most comfortable, but I don't wear them every time I sail.

Accessories : Gloves : Stealth Pro Short Finger : Henri Lloyd Sailing Apparel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #20 of 23 Old 10-31-2012

Well I for one (apparently the only one) can't stand 3/4 finger gloves.
Give me the 3/4 First and thumb and the full finger for the other four.
Much better glove in my opinion. I seem to buy a pair a year and just keep cycling trough them all. Probably have about 6 pairs of various gloves in my bag.

That being said, one of my favorite pair of gloves was from Boat Leather: Boat Leather, Leather Products for the Marine Environment
You can also find them at most boat shows. Great group of fellows, Unfortunately they only make 3/4 finger. I have asked them about full fingers and they simply don't offer them. For 3/4 finger these are my choice.

Courtney is My Hero

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in