Hi Mod fittings - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-29-2012 Thread Starter

Hi Mod fittings

I am planning to replace all standing rigging on my boat. Plan to use Hi Mod mechanical fittings on the lower wires and maybe uppers. Looking for comments on the Hi Mods:
1. Have you ever had a failure?
2. Did you use a sealant in the fitting (like silicone)?
3. Should I use Hi Mods on the upper wire fitting or go with a swage fitting?
4. Any other comments?
Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-29-2012
Super Moderator

Re: Hi Mod fittings

We have Norseman's, Sta-Lok and Hi-Mod fittings on our boat. Wanted to try them all. I like the Hi-Mod's the best and the Norseman's the least. Don't know of any failures of any of them but I am sure you can find them.

Hayn does not require a sealant in the Hi-Mod fittings just a thread locker during assembly. I used swages on the upper end and mechanical on the lower ends..

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-29-2012 at 01:54 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-29-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
We have Norseman's, Sta-Lok and Hi-Mod fittings on our boat. Wanted to try them all. I like the Hi-Mod's the best and the Norseman's the least. Don't know of any failures of any of them but I am sure you can find them.

Hayn does not require a sealant in the Hi-Mod fittings just a thread locker during assembly. I used swages on the upper end and mechanical on the lower ends..
I see the Hi Mod instructioins say no sealant required (only locktite), but will salt water be held by the fitting, or can it drain out (so as to not cause corrosion)?

Why not use mechanical fittings on the uppers instead of swage?

For swage fittings is a sealant used before swaging? I know some swage fittings looks like some type of sealant is in the swage.

post #4 of 19 Old 11-29-2012
DrB

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

I literally just got my entire rig redone and the rigger that I used said he thinks Hi-Mods are absolute junk. I think he gave me Noreseman's after much discussion. I did a lot of research on the various fittings when we discussed and he said Sta-Lok or Norseman only. There was a reason why he said a lot of DIY riggers use Hi-Mods (I can't recall), but he would never put them on any boat that he did.

As far as the rigger, when I asked who to use for a rigger around my area, everyone gave me his name.

YMMV
wdwright1967 likes this.

If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-29-2012

Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
I literally just got my entire rig redone and the rigger that I used said he thinks Hi-Mods are absolute junk. I think he gave me Noreseman's after much discussion. I did a lot of research on the various fittings when we discussed and he said Sta-Lok or Norseman only. There was a reason why he said a lot of DIY riggers use Hi-Mods (I can't recall), but he would never put them on any boat that he did.

As far as the rigger, when I asked who to use for a rigger around my area, everyone gave me his name.

YMMV
Well, it would be helpful to know WHY the guy believes that HiMod fittings are 'junk.' Without that information, this statement is not very informative.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-29-2012
Super Moderator

Quote:

YMMV
May want to ask him to qualify "junk".. I know lots of professional riggers who use Hayn Hi-Mods as well as piles of other Hayn equipment. I got mine from my local rigger who is very well respected in this area. The only complaint with them is that they are actually tougher to do than a Norseman or Sta-Loc when installing them at a boat. In a shop, with a vise, they are easy but not so much without the right tools. My head stay has a Norseman because it was easier to build on-site than a Hi-Mod but the darn thing is all rusty....

Carl Hayn is one of the most reputable guys in the industry and I've never know him to produce "junk" if he was he'd have long ago been out of business...

As for "junk" my Norseman's rust so badly that I need to treat/clean them with Spotless Stainless once or twice per season. The Sta-Loc and Hayn's stay free of rust..

From left to right: Sta-Loc, Norseman & Hi-Mod (all the same age)

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 Old 11-29-2012 Thread Starter

FWIW,
Before buying the Hi Mod, I did a lot of research (every sailing publication I could find). Everthing I found said the Hi Mods were best, although all were good. Nothing was called junk (at least among Hi Mod, Norseman, and Sta Lock).
post #8 of 19 Old 11-29-2012
Super Moderator

Quote:
the rigger that I used said he thinks Hi-Mods are absolute junk.
YMMV

Here's what the current "Godfather of rigging" Brion Toss has to say...

This was in regards to a question froma guy re-rigging an Oyster 55 and wondering about using Hayn Hi-Mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brion Toss (From his own forum)

Hello,

Especially with the fairly large wire you need, Norseman is out of the running. Harder to form, weakens the wire more than the competition. I'm very reluctant even to install them any more.

Sta-Lok is a very good second choice. Fairly easy to form with big wire, easily sealed, fairly strong. And great customer support from the importer, Sailing Services.

Hayn, though is the winner. They make the only terminal that is 100% strength efficient. Sta-Loks typically break in the 90's -- and has anyone seen any Norseman results higher than the 80's? -- and they are very easy to assemble, as you do not bend the yarns, and there is a nifty castellated spacer for the yarns to settle into during assembly. Also the prettiest terminal. Many places sell them for much more than the competition, but if you shop around you can get comparable prices.

As for the wedge issue, Hayn is also quite strong on customer service. Give 'em a call.
Fair leads,

Brion Toss
I think Brion Toss like Nigel Calder, Steve D'Antonio and other "experts in their field" has a pretty good track record....

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

post #9 of 19 Old 11-29-2012
DrB

I will ask, but if IRCC

something about the assembly process and the need to be very careful not to over torque that they were more susceptible to galling.

DrB

EDIT - I think the rigger I used had a very bad experience with earlier Hi-Mods and that made him against them today. He is a Navtec man and this is what he wrote back.

"Hi mods are awful, used them once, never again. They don't use Navtec, they use Hayn ends. Good stuff, not the best." - Translate however you want.

In another email they wrote this:

"The wire we use is type 316 Mil Spec, and has the highest rating we can find. We use Sta lok turnbuckles and Norseman mechanical ends for our big boat offshore customers. The upper ends are Navtec type 316 swaged by our own Electric Hydraulic swager. We have done work for the US Navy and other high end military and commercial applications. We are at the highest end of the certification given by the industry. To your point, the quote is done as if it were my Pearson 10M with my family on board.."

If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.

Last edited by DrB; 11-29-2012 at 05:22 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-29-2012 Thread Starter

Re: I will ask, but if IRCC

Quote:
something about the assembly process and the need to be very careful not to over torque that they were more susceptible to galling.

DrB

.."
The Hi Mod instructions state "do not over torque or threads will gall."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in