DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor - Page 17 - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 174 Old 03-07-2017

Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

There is a valve and a spring on the air inlet with a lever that operates the valve when you push on the purge button. When you breathe in the diaphragm pushes on the lever and opens the valve. Some people say you can replace the spring with a softer spring or cut the spring down but the easiest thing to do is remove the valve completely. It then becomes a free flow air delivery. I did this with this cheap Chinese octopus regulator. It is perfectly safe if you follow the three rules mentioned. It also pays to attach the hookah air line to a belt or harness with the regulator hose going over your shoulder so the hose doesn't pull on the regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 174 Old 03-07-2017
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Breathing on a free-flowing 2nd stage is no fun. For less than $100 you can buy a regulator designed to work in a hookah. But if saving a couple of bucks is that important to you...
post #163 of 174 Old 03-07-2017

Yeah, I don't think I want bubbles roiling up around my face constantly. I would rather just spend the money to buy a regulator made for this.

post #164 of 174 Old 03-07-2017
Freedom Chip Counter

First time I've ever looked into hookah reg...is there any advantage to a higher / lower psi? Or is it just to match your air supply?

Tartan 31
post #165 of 174 Old 03-07-2017
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
....is it just to match your air supply?
Yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstbttms For This Useful Post:
scubadoo (03-10-2017)
post #166 of 174 Old 03-07-2017

As I said, you can change the spring in a 2nd stage to lower the psi, but the hookah I use is 160 LPM and about 17.5 psi. so I don't want to restrict the flow. When you breathe normally, without holding your breath, you breathe continuously. With the free flow regulator air is coming down the hose at 160 lpm. You breath in and the exhaust valve closes and you fill your lungs. Less than a second later you breathe out and your exhaled breath with the fresh air is exhaled. then you start the process again. Most of the bubbles occur when you exhale, unless you hold your breath, which you shouldn't. I don't feel that restricting the air flow and putting a strain on the little compressor to stop the bubbles for less than a second is worth the extra cost. If you don't like the bubbles, on my regulator the exhaust valve exits in to a box shape that sits under the regulator in front of your chin with openings at each end, so it would be easy to silicon in two 3 inch tubes to divert the exhaust to the side of your face.
post #167 of 174 Old 05-06-2017

I'm almost afraid to post here...lol

I'm cert. and have 2 hookah systems, one store bought expensive one, and 1 diy unit.

I metal detect and stay down for quite a while. would have to check my logs but I know it's over 500 hours on hookah alone.

I won't post the ebay link but look for the 12v oil-less compressor with 2 tanks the blue one, about 200 bucks has a built in regulator. it builds pressure then shuts off. some say that saves battery...
get breathing air hose, I have a couple hundred feet of it I use.
get a few second stages, and a little plumbing hardware to mate the hose to the regulator. think pressure washer...
I have used sla's and deep cycle batteries it depends on how far I have to haul this crap to get to where I'm going to dive.

To tell you the truth sometimes it's easier to just dive on the bottle.... But time limited....

I know there's a hot spot I dive at quite regular I load up everything so I can stay down most of the day... under 5' of water.... I take a break every 2 or 3 hours.... but I might be down for 8-10 that day.

So it can be done safely... But if you have no idea of how this stuff works spend the coin for a proven system. I know it's been said before but get cert. A few hundred dollars is pretty cheap insurance.

Bob
post #168 of 174 Old 07-03-2017

Question Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

Ok. I am new to this community chat thing. This is what I am getting out of this discussion. Nobody (with an exception or two) has personal knowledge about the topic. The topic seems to be can a hookah dive system be engineered from a commercially available compressor? Yes you know the dangers of a scuba novice jumping in the water with compressed air from any source is a potential path to a very dangerous situation. Great your money for a dive class was well spent. Now who can get back to basics. A decent hookah gig all color coordinated, cute little diver down stickers and a punchy logo that has the word "diver" in it is going to cost $800 on the cheap end. Okay let's start with the proper regulator and hose. WHAT does a "experienced" diver need from there to make a better rig for much less money ($200-500 without the paint job and stickers)???

Who here wouldn't really like to know?
post #169 of 174 Old 07-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZXMZX View Post
Nobody (with an exception or two) has personal knowledge about the topic.
There are several exceptions, with personal experience, and they have posted quite useful information. They are typically then told that they are crazy, by people who do NOT have personal experience. Up to you to decide who to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZXMZX View Post
WHAT does a "experienced" diver need from there to make a better rig for much less money ($200-500 without the paint job and stickers)??? Who here wouldn't really like to know?
I think a number here already know.

You need an oil-free compressor that can deliver adequate air-flow. What "adequate" means, and whether it is run by 12 volts, 110 volts, or a gas engine depends on your specific requirements. You need air hose that is rated specifically for breathing. You need a regulator second stage. Depending on your compressor it may, or may not, have to be able to work with less air pressure than a "normal" second stage. You probably should have a filter on your air hose; this may not be absolutely REQUIRED, but there is no doubt that it is a good idea and well worth the money.

That's it. Not really all that complicated. If you buy cheap stuff you can probably do it for less than $500. That cheap stuff may not last very long in a marine environment. If you want quality gear that will last then you may have to go over $500. Still, either way, it is not all that complicated. Just some people like to make it SEEM much more complicated.

Last edited by denverd0n; 07-03-2017 at 09:58 AM.
post #170 of 174 Old 01-01-2018

HI guys I am another aussie that used the Boyu acq910 uses a 12v deep cycle battery- runs for ages
For info on setups google" Keene Intro to Hooka"
You need an oil free compressor
The Boyu is high flow low pressure I use 2 compressorsb (160 l/min each- at the surface)
My air reservoir is a failed scuba tank- yes I know but I am assuming it is unlikely to fail at 18psi- and if it does it will leak not explode at 18 psi remember it was designed- and could probably still take 2000 psi
Use a 5 micron filter
Certified air breathing hose- you can get it on Ebay
I think there are 2 sizes- I use the larger size as i figure it will decrease the resistance
ALSO NEED A CHECK VALVE!!!!!
cheapo Chinese reg and adjusted the intake - basically it is free flowing - can live with that
Don't use a BCD
One diver to 25- 30 feet, 2 divers 10-15 feet
We also have a commercial Hookah max petrol unit
Have dive ticket- and yes all the precaution as if it were scuba- IT IS compressed air
On the DIY really only shallow 10 -15 feet for two of us. Bottom times not a prob - the battery starts to slow and up you go BUT go up slow!!!
With the deeper dives we carry each a bail out with an occy, like a catalina s19 and BCD
Make sure your quick release couplings cannot undo, make sure your air at intake point not contaminated with petrol( gas) fumes or exhaust fumes etc
Graham

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in