SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   reverse cycle problem (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/97337-reverse-cycle-problem.html)

sailortrash 03-06-2013 08:04 PM

reverse cycle problem

Hi guys I think i just fried my compressor This is the first boat I have had with ac and I am not used to being in water this dirty so I did not clean my filter as much as I should and I think the compressor just froze up from over heating. My question is is it fried or might it cool down and be ok? Thanks in advance.
Jared

DannyboyUpstate 03-06-2013 08:15 PM

What do you mean it was froze? Like the suction line had ice on it? Or the compressor is seized?

Do you have an ammeter?

sailortrash 03-06-2013 08:28 PM

Re: reverse cycle problem

I am trying to figure it out. I was sitting in the salon when all of a sudden is made a sound like a eletrical motor that was getting power but not turning. A look at the raw water filter revealed that it was really clogged so it was getting no water.

DannyboyUpstate 03-06-2013 08:37 PM

Ok, so what that probably means, is the discharge pressure went high, and it ceased pumping gas.

You need to dig in with a meter and possibly a set of gauges.

Did you try letting it sit while you cleaned the filter and restarting it afterwards?

SchockT 03-06-2013 08:43 PM

It is almost impossible to diagnose based on so little information. Compressors don't "fry" that easily. Most will have internal thermal protection that will open the circuit if the windings get too hot. Equipment should also have high pressure safety switches that would shut down the compressor if cooling water flow is lost. In heating mode there should be freeze protection to protect the heat exchanger from freezing and splitting in the event of loss of flow. Having said that, there are manufacturers out there that achieve lower price points by leaving out these fundamental safeties.

Make and model of the unit, what mode it was in when the fault occured, and what it is doing after the flow problem was resolved would be helpful.

deniseO30 03-06-2013 09:55 PM

We need to know make, model and water temp coming in. If it "froze" up it the compressor is most likely still "good" The ice may have damaged the heat exchanger. Clean the filters. make sure water is running freely, ck for water leaks, and all the ice is gone before restarting.

what may have happened; the water froze because in the heating cycle the water is chilled by taking heat out of it. the clogged filter caused it stop moving so it froze. You will want to look for little red buttons to reset.

fallard 03-06-2013 10:04 PM

You might also look for a blown in-line fuse somewhere near the compressor. Mine has an automotive type fuse (with spade lugs) somewhere in the 14-16A range.

boatpoker 03-07-2013 06:35 AM

Much more likely that you "fried" the water pump than the compresser. Check that first.

Capt.Alex 03-07-2013 09:02 AM

The pump and the compressor should have tripped a breaker before self destructing. Take a deep breath, clean the strainer, ensure you have good flow, allow to defrost, reset all breakers, re-start.