SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Visit to Beneteau Factory (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100301-visit-beneteau-factory.html)

simplicite' 06-09-2013 08:47 AM

Visit to Beneteau Factory

I recently ordered a Beneteau Oceanis 34. I had the opportunity to visit the building site in Marion, SC on Friday and got to see my hull in the production line.

I thought I would share some of my observations:

1. They have a continuous improvement process - even an ideas board where the production staff puts up ideas to improve the process. And they use it. It had ideas on it! This is reviewed daily.

2. The precision of the equipment that cuts the wood and fiberglass is very precise with little room for human error.

3. The QA process is quite extensive. i.e boats float in pools and get "rained" on overnight to check for leaks.

4. Staff is extremely knowledgable and passionate.

5. I had a special requests, I met with the production team and they were happy to accommodate it. (unusual for a production builder)

Overall, I was very impressed. I was able to see my boat and most of the systems before it all get walled in. I recommend a visit to anyone interested in a Beneteau or Jeanneau.

The waiting for my new boat is even harder now!!

MarkofSeaLife 06-09-2013 12:05 PM

Re: Visit to Beneteau Factory

1 Attachment(s)
Must have been good fun to see your own boat being built. Love to have that some day!

deniseO30 06-09-2013 12:19 PM

Nah.. it didn't happen because you didn't tak pics? :D
:worthless:

simplicite' 06-09-2013 12:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 1041666)
Nah.. it didn't happen because you didn't tak pics? :D
:worthless:

They don't let you take pictures of the process. Don't want the secret sauce to get out. But I was able to take some of my hull. I will post them.

rockDAWG 06-09-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplicite' (Post 1041579)
I recently ordered a Beneteau Oceanis 34. I had the opportunity to visit the building site in Marion, SC on Friday and got to see my hull in the production line.

I thought I would share some of my observations:

1. They have a continuous improvement process - even an ideas board where the production staff puts up ideas to improve the process. And they use it. It had ideas on it! This is reviewed daily.

2. The precision of the equipment that cuts the wood and fiberglass is very precise with little room for human error.

3. The QA process is quite extensive. i.e boats float in pools and get "rained" on overnight to check for leaks.

4. Staff is extremely knowledgable and passionate.

5. I had a special requests, I met with the production team and they were happy to accommodate it. (unusual for a production builder)

Overall, I was very impressed. I was able to see my boat and most of the systems before it all get walled in. I recommend a visit to anyone interested in a Beneteau or Jeanneau.

The waiting for my new boat is even harder now!!

Congrats!!!

I am not surprise at all. After all, they are the mot successful boat maker in the world. It is hard for the small time stick boat builders to compete in terms of cost and quality.

Harborless 06-09-2013 06:33 PM

That is so awesome! Ive been to the Boston Whaler Factory in NSB where all the worlds BW's are made and its an awesome experience.
Thanks for the pics! Very cool!

MarkofSeaLife 06-09-2013 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The winches are already on beforew the deck is put on the hull...
and is the teak already on the cockpit floor? or is that a covering?

simplicite' 06-09-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 1041847)
The winches are already on beforew the deck is put on the hull...
and is the teak already on the cockpit floor? or is that a covering?

Yes. The winches are installed prior to the deck being attached to the hull. As is the windlass. That is just covering on the cockpit floor. But the teak is already on the cockpit seats.

fatcatsailor 06-10-2013 12:25 AM

That's awesome. I would have distracted them with my wife and snuck some photos with the cell phone!

JimsCAL 06-10-2013 07:59 AM

Very neat! When is the boat scheduled to be delivered?