Spade rudders vs blue water passage making - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 09-11-2018

Re: Spade rudders vs blue water passage making

I'm really enjoying the discussion here guys. Please keep it up so I can learn from those with the expertise to provide good insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter
One of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
I hate to bring an old thread back to life but would like to add something and also ask something.

My old boat, a Hunter 376 made in 1996 had a very low aspect rudder with a fat 6" composite post that insured it never stalled, however it was very unbalanced causing the boat to be hard to handle going fast and healed 20 degrees. I added 2" inches to the leading edge and everything changed. It was an awesome sailing boat with a perfectly balanced rudder. I could be healed over 20 degrees with 8 degrees of weather helm going 8 knots in the water and I could steer with 1 finger. I could let go of the wheel and it would stay put at 8 degrees of weather helm. The autopilot amp use dropped from 3-4 amps to 1-2 amps. I love spade rudders for having this ability to be balanced and I sailed mine for over 30,000 miles without any problems, including a 4,000 mile leg.

Now I am buying a large 55' Whitby with a long keel and a skeg hung rudder with 3 attachment points. I looked at Autopilots for sale that are recommended for the 54,000 lb boat and they burn about 7.5 amps. I'm like, darn, wish I could balance this rudder. But if I read this right, somebody on this thread took their skeg off and put on a balanced spade rudder. That has me going hmmmmmm. Should I consider such a thing?

On the other hand, I have read that the skeg rudder will track better. Is that true for quartering seas of say steep 10'?
Why are you buying a Whitby 55 that you obviously want to " fix" if you were so in love with a H376?

All because of a matter of 2 or 3 amp draw on the autopilot....

It's like comparing a ballerina to a sumo wrestler
capta and lillia28 like this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-11-2018 at 09:49 AM.
post #33 of 41 Old 09-11-2018

Did not say I like my Hunter better than the Whitby, just the balanced rudder. I doubt I will make a change to the rudder on the Whitby after thinking about it more because I think it would move the CLR forword making the boat unbalanced without the skeg.

edit: and it is not a difference of 2 or 3 amps, but 6 amps an hour, totaling 144 more amps a day just for the AP.

Last edited by FranklinGray; 09-11-2018 at 10:07 AM.

post #34 of 41 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter
One of None

This? http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=7509

Wouldn't it also have a genset and or larger battery Banks?
I'm seeing a modified fin keel and skeg Rudder I'm not seeing a full Keel or as you call that long keel, was that an option like on the W42?

And this
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5333

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-11-2018 at 10:15 AM.
post #35 of 41 Old 09-11-2018

yes
post #36 of 41 Old 09-11-2018
Master Mariner

There would need to be a considerable amount of very expensive 'shoring up' of the internal rudder supports inside the boat, too.
We've got a 53' boat and if we want to (read; not being lazy), we can balance the rig rather easily, even with a skeg hung rudder and steer with one finger. Perhaps your problem with the old boat was sail trim, not the rudder?
Minnewaska likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #37 of 41 Old 09-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Perhaps your problem with the old boat was sail trim, not the rudder?
Perhaps you have never heard of the term Power Reaching.
post #38 of 41 Old 09-11-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
Perhaps you have never heard of the term Power Reaching.
Actually, I haven't, so I went online and lo and behold every nautical or sailing glossary I found, including Wiki, apparently hadn't either.
If however, you are talking about overdriving a boat on a reach, dragging a big barn door to leeward, once again I might suggest you'd get just as much speed (perhaps more) and put your boat through a whole lot less stress if you could to learn to trim the helm out of the boat.
But of course, you obviously don't think so, therefore I'm just as obviously wasting my time responding to your reply.
If one day you get the opportunity to sail a hundred plus foot gaff schooner on a broad reach in a good breeze you could bring up the term 'power reach', but let me assure you it would just be an understatement!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #39 of 41 Old 09-11-2018

C is right. The key to speed is no drag from steering. Any steering input slows the boat regardless of rudder design. Overpowering by not reefing often slows the boat. Flat is fast as you’re not digging a hole in the water with your leeward side.
Go racing or follow your days work and see for your self if C hasn’t given you a good tip.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #40 of 41 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter
One of None

It's an older terminology https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...trimming-64018

My last project!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in