Rolly Sasker Sails... Opinions - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-15-2013 Thread Starter

Rolly Sasker Sails... Opinions

I have been looking into new sails recently. I have gotten a variety of diffent quotes from both local ond overseas manufacturers. Well the ones made overseas are about half the price of ones made locally, has anyone had any experience with using either Rolly Tasker Sails or Far East Sails. I am looking at either a crosscur dacron or tri-radial any experience with either would be helpful.

Schock - New York 36
Portsmouth, RI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-15-2013

Re: Rolly Sasker Sails... Opinions

I have a RT cross-cut jib that is 2 years old. Love it! Great value. Great shape, no quality issues.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-15-2013

Send a message via AIM to cjli Send a message via Yahoo to cjli Send a message via Skype™ to cjli

I just bought a Dacron cross-cut main with full batten for my Pearson 31 from Precision Sail. I am very happy with it. Take a look at Precision.

Cj
Pearson 31-2, #146
City Island, NY

post #4 of 18 Old 07-15-2013

Dock

I had a great time in Thailand and went into the Rolly Tasker factory and had them make a new main. I am very happy with it and just love the hand finishing.

The photo below shows us with Mike Tasker and the design crew as we do the deal for a new mainsail. The old main is stretched out on their floor so we were able to work out exactly what we wanted.
We were then able to watch as ours was made!
I know its not possible to do that if you are buying from overseas but I can tell you that Rolly Tasker is the most modern, large sail loft and the teams of workers have been employed for many years.

Its comes with my seal (arf arf) of approval!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
taskersmall.jpg  

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 18 Old 07-15-2013
But if not...

Bought a new RF main and RF jib from Rolly Tasker. Used a local franchise who did all the measuring, talked thru what we wanted same, different, sailing plans, desires, etc.

Very satisfied with results. This is the first season for the new sails so can't speak to longevity yet.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-10-2013

Do you have the e-mail of Rolly Tasker to contact him directly. I need a quotation for mainsail and Genoa.
Regards.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-10-2013
grumpy old man

That's going to be tough. I do believe that Rolly is dead.
jrd22 and JordanH like this.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #8 of 18 Old 08-10-2013

I have a Rolly Tasker main on my 55 ft Tayana and it is the best built sail I have ever owned.

Phil
post #9 of 18 Old 08-10-2013
grumpy old man

I put RT sails on a custom boat I did from Scott Rush's loft in Seattle. Thera are very good sails. I would not hesitate to use Scott and RT again.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #10 of 18 Old 08-10-2013

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2187 View Post
I have been looking into new sails recently. I have gotten a variety of diffent quotes from both local ond overseas manufacturers. Well the ones made overseas are about half the price of ones made locally, has anyone had any experience with using either Rolly Tasker Sails or Far East Sails. I am looking at either a crosscur dacron or tri-radial any experience with either would be helpful.
Many sails are made abroad so that's not necessarily a negative.

Here's a few things to consider

Construction
Make sure you are comparing apples to apples, fabric, thread count, reefs, double vrs triple stitch, reenforcement of clews, well mde batten pockets. There are many subtle cost cutting measures of than cheap labor abroad that mail order sailmakers use to drop the price. That doesn't mean they are bad sails. Many times it doesn't show up in the first 5 years, when all new sails look good.

Customer Service
Local lofts many times will come measure, then when your sails are finished come a fit them on your boat. Thy will adjust them. Mail order wont. If something is wrong or miss cut, they can handle that many times in thir own shops. Try that with a mail order sail. You will lose many weeks sending it back nd forth if thy even are to adjust it in the first place. Warranty from defect is more likely to be corrected from some local or semi local.

Price.
Your sail should last at least 10 years. Of corse his depends on many things. So lets use tht as a base. A 35 foot sailboat main costing $3000 from a local is $300 a year. The mail order sail $2200 or $220 per year. Is the quality peace of mind repairs, warranty, and maybe quality are worth $80. Look at used sails and see how many name brand serviceable sails over 10 years are there. That's a clue to longevity.

iMHO Rolly Tasker has a better reputation than most mil order sail makers. It still isn't the same as local or semi local.

We have two Quantum sails. They were about 25% more expensive than mail order for similar ones. They are very well constructed, made in South Africa, fitted by the local loft who measured, fitted thm when thy arrived, and came back a year later to adjust and insure thy were wearing well. The batten pockets are the best deign and construction I have seen.

You get what you ay for I beleive in sails. To me since its my means of propulsion, and one of the bigger ticket items on a boat, I would not scrimp here looking to save a few dollars on the front end. If you can buy in Sept-Feb when you can get deeper discounts from mt major sailmakers. Don't be afraid to barter with them for extras like daft stripes, numbers etc.
PaulinVictoria and capta like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 08-10-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in