Amazing Cruising Boat / Amazing Value!! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 09-17-2013

Re: Amazing Cruising Boat / Amazing Value!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Now that's an overpriced boat!
You've sure got that right...

If I were gonna spend $300K for a boat, I'd at least want to be able to see where the hell I'm going from behind the helm, or be able to sail the freakin' thing after dark :-)

Can that pedestal possibly grow any more 'tentacles'? And you've gotta love the way all that instrument wiring is just sort of dangling there... That whole stupid cluster is just one errant snagged tether, or a crew losing their balance, from going TU...

T37SOLARE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 09-18-2013
baDumbumbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
I dunno...I left my spare change in the pocket of the pants that went to the dry cleaner. Right now this is more my idea of affordable...
I had an Albin Vega years ago - really well built. Might have to go and take a look at this Ballad ;-)
Snag it! Albins are still the best value on the street for bottom feeders like us. We paid $2250 for our Ballad last year -- another owner dreading haulout & storage fees. The one you linked has the Yanmar upgrade, which is v. helpful. Some photos in the ad would be nice. These are simple boats, but be aware the chainplates often leaked -- consequences of which we are still unwinding.

Buccaneer18, Grainnia
SJ21, Diarmuid
Albin Ballad 30, Fionn
post #13 of 22 Old 09-22-2019

While this is an old thread, this is the boat we just purchased. It is an amazing vessel. While there has been many upgrades, they are now coming to the end of service life. What I have discovered is the neglect of routine maintenance by previous owner (after Sea Return). The broker was bragging about how he was getting ready to sail on an extended cruise and the boat was a “ready to go” boat. My broker said he would buy the boat if I didn’t, the surveyor was just plain incompetent; lesson learned - don’t trust any of em! We moved on and so far have discovered: frozen seacocks, leaking bilge pump hose, plugged water lines, leaking through hulls, cracked chain plate which was covered by caulk - this is so far! All the spares mentioned took up every drawer, cabinet, and any other storage nook available. We will continue to fix her up and get her back to her former glory. Moral of story, upgrades and add-ons don’t mean sh*t if maintenance isn’t done regularly. Just sayin!

post #14 of 22 Old 09-23-2019 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomte View Post
While this is an old thread, this is the boat we just purchased. It is an amazing vessel. While there has been many upgrades, they are now coming to the end of service life. What I have discovered is the neglect of routine maintenance by previous owner (after Sea Return). The broker was bragging about how he was getting ready to sail on an extended cruise and the boat was a “ready to go” boat. My broker said he would buy the boat if I didn’t, the surveyor was just plain incompetent; lesson learned - don’t trust any of em! We moved on and so far have discovered: frozen seacocks, leaking bilge pump hose, plugged water lines, leaking through hulls, cracked chain plate which was covered by caulk - this is so far! All the spares mentioned took up every drawer, cabinet, and any other storage nook available. We will continue to fix her up and get her back to her former glory. Moral of story, upgrades and add-ons don’t mean sh*t if maintenance isn’t done regularly. Just sayin!
Really pretty sad that a boat can fall into disrepair a quickly as they do and can. Sad, and I am sure Bob would be pretty upset to see her in this condition.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #15 of 22 Old 09-23-2019

Dock

This post is not about this specific boat. Just a generalisation.

Buying a 1980s boat for 2.5 times to cost of a 2005 boat seems Crackers to me. It's still a 1980s boat.
Buying spares you never need is a pre-1980s phillisophy. JIT works much better, gives you living space and saves you bulk money.
Each to their own.

I was just parked next to a boat in Belgium where the owner was telling me all the thibfs he had done to his new-to-him boat over the last 4 years. All I could think about was that he's been working on his old clunker doing irrelevant jobs while I have been crossing icreans, exploring whole continents and living a life of bliss.

I hope the new owner gets this boat into the ocean and forces the boat to give him life, not visa versa

Bon voyage!
SanderO likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 09-24-2019 at 03:23 AM.
post #16 of 22 Old 09-24-2019

Mark what is JIT?
post #17 of 22 Old 09-24-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Mark what is JIT?
Just in time.....referring to purchasing

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #18 of 22 Old 09-24-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
This post is not about this specific boat. Just a generalisation.

Buying a 1980s boat for 2.5 times to cost of a 2005 boat seems Crackers to me. It's still a 1980s boat.
Buying spares you never need is a pre-1980s phillisophy. JIT works much better, gives you living space and saves you bulk money.
Each to their own.

I was just parked next to a boat in Belgium where the owner was telling me all the thibfs he had done to his new-to-him boat over the last 4 years. All I could think about was that he's been working on his old clunker doing irrelevant jobs while I have been crossing icreans, exploring whole continents and living a life of bliss.

I hope the new owner gets this boat into the ocean and forces the boat to give him life, not visa versa

Bon voyage!
Mark,

Mark, I enjoy your posts and have learned much from them. In many cases your wisdom and wit are amazing.

But in this case, not everyone has the same goals as you.

Some actually enjoy fixing things. There are many who fix old cars restoring them, refurbish antiques, buy and flip houses restoring them to historical standards or modernizing them. Fixing up an “old clunker” as you put it may be his passion. He seemed by you post to be proud of what he’s done.

Many of us find solace and fulfillment in accomplishing projects and that fulfillment is every bit as important to them as striking out visiting continents and ports of call is to you. Maybe this gentleman you spoke of has those personal goals. It doesn’t make your goals better or more correct. He obviously is satisfied with his choice. Maybe doing what he does in refurbishing his clunker does give him life and purpose. I can understand that There is a certain sense of accomplishment when you take something which has been let go and bring it back to current standards. He has something he can look at now with a certain sense of accomplishment.

Often times it’s hard to understand something we don’t hold important to us. That being said, ridiculing or sarcasm about how a sailor chooses his goals or what he chooses as goals should be accepted as his/ her personal choice on what he/ she chooses to do with their short time on this planet.

Let’s be more open minded.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #19 of 22 Old 09-24-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Mark,

Let’s be more open minded.
I am not ridiculing anyone. Moreover I put on the top of the post I was generalising.

My opinions are opinions and there's nowhere in the world written my opinions must be open minded.
If that was a law the parents of the teenager in the UN would have had to re-written her speech.

Mark
RegisteredUser likes this.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
post #20 of 22 Old 09-24-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Mark what is JIT?
JIT - Just In Time - was the biggest change in manufacturing since Henry Ford. It quickly carried into many business areas.

Instead of having an inventory stockpile of parts to build your product, you ensure your supplier can supply you those parts just when they are needed.

Reduced stock growing dust, reduced warehousing. Yes it's imperative to have supliers who can make their parts quickly upon your order and transport them overnight etc. (this reliance imperative is one of the reasons why the USA transport systems are the world's greatest. Don't try in Australia to get something from Perth to Sydney before next summer...)

We see it in retailing with Amazon... It's just reduced stock on shelves it would have to carry if it was Walmart.
More, if I buy off the Internet and it says 1 weeks delivery it might be because they haven't made the product yet.

In sailing things go wrong but we never know which part is going to break. So we carry spares. But which spares? Many long distance cruisers are advised to carry a spare alternator. But why will that break but not the starter motor? Or the toilet pump? So some people buy all 3 as spares. Plus everything else on the boat: I've heard a number of people with spare autopilots $2,000+ and say it's 'redundancy'... You can just drag another whole boat.

Expendables are different, if course. And so are tools... They're the method to fix or install.
But for the parts themselves I think ( my OPINION) is its a waste of money and critical space to carry ANY spare part (unless I know the one installed is on the way out.).

This does mean that you've gotta get back to Port without that bit of equipment.
Then, in remote areas you may pay a lot for shipping of that part (a friend air-freighted an ENGINE from New Zealand to some tin-pot island in the Pacific.
But in the big picture it's cheaper, saves space etc, to cop the higher cost of emergency replacement.
Anyway, many things are not mission critical so they can be replaced when the timing is better.

There is no doubt that these opinions are strongly held. I've the experience to have them and have seen the downside It doesn't mean that your alternator isn't going to explode next time you're off the dock... But it could just as well be your dinghy pop a tube.

JIT works in Industry so it's worthwhile to see if it can be applied in sailing.

Mark
cherylchecheryl likes this.

Sea Life

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in