SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tiller extension or no tiller extension

10K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  CaribDream 
#1 ·
My interest in sailing is in day sailing and cruising. While I completely understand why people get into racing, it's just not my thing. With this in mind, I was totally against tiller extensions. I guess in my mind I always associated tiller extensions with very wet boats which required a lot of hiking. I also had this picture in my head of tiller extensions being this awkward floppy extra piece. When I first started learning to sail, I had a blast with a Laser, but I just never did get used to the tiller extension.

All this being said, I installed an extension on my American 14.6 today. While I don't have to hike this boat, I thought it would be useful to be able to sit more forward to better trim the boat (I'm 200-220 depending on the time of year). I also feel under heavier wind, if I go a bit forward, I get my weight at the widest part of the boat. This would have been handy a week ago in 22+ knot winds. Lastly, I figured an extension would help when I am ready to singlehand the boat.

I'm curious to know what other's think about tiller extensions on non-racing boats used for dinghy day sailing.

#2 ·
Even a non racer needs to be able to clearly see jib telltales (if applicable), waves, advancing wind puffs, traffic, much of which is more easily kept on top of if you're a bit 'out of the boat' or at least out on the rail.. Also the boat trim aspect as you mention. Dealing with a 'floppy' extension is just a matter of practice, and in conditions where it's not needed you can usually snap it down to the tiller itself or remove it..

Reactions: CaribDream
#3 ·
As you noted with dinghy sailing where you position your weight on the boat is quite important.
If a tiller extension allows you to optimally get your weight positioned then it is a good thing. Sailing your boat flatter and better is good thing whether racing or not.
I also agree that tiller extension sticks can add just one more moving part into the cockpit that can get fouled on a sheet or broken. They can be removed (usually) though if they are in the way.

#5 ·
They surely tend to get fouled in sheets and flop around but to be able to move around the cockpit, I'd think one would be almost essential so as to change sitting positions. Have never had one on a larger boat but as long as it has a quick way to fold it back/secure it or to disconnect it, it'll probably be a welcome addition. I'd prefer a tiller instead of the pedestal which is a complicated mechanical monster. A tiller gives more feel for what's going on with the rudder.

#7 ·
I can't imagine being forced to sail a tillered boat without an extension. It gives you far more mobility in the cockpit, and allows you to sit outboard more where you have a much clearer view ahead. I have never found that it gets fouled in sheets, and in the rare time that I don't want to use it I can just lay it down on top of the tiller where it is out of the way.

#8 ·
i agree with ShockT. with my tiller extension on my 30ft nimble express. i can sit on top of the coaming & see ahead better. it folds back on the tiller when not in use.

#9 ·
One uses a tiller without an extension?!?!?!? really?

as said above, have had extensions on the 8' pram I sailed as a teen, lasers raced with hull #s 600-800, a 12' sloop, 21' trailer sailer, and my 30 Jeanneau I currently have. would not do with out a tiller extension of my preferred choice!

Can someone tell me how one sails with a wheel. Never sailed one with a wheel that I was driving any how!

Marty

#10 ·
Can someone tell me how one sails with a wheel. Never sailed one with a wheel that I was driving any how!

Marty
Simple, Marty.. you fasten the tiller extension to the top of the wheel and hike hard!! ;) :)

#13 ·
Tiller extension. Yes. It allows you to move. Often you can sit on the extension for a moment, or place it under the elbow, to get both hands free. They are as much for cruising as racing.

Awkward? Practice tacking, over and over, until the system is mastered. Generally the method is to get it vertical and pass it behind the sheet as you move across; instinctive once mastered. Also, having a place to rest it (hooks on the tiller) when you really don't want it is nice. On catamarans we hook it to the cross bar. If adjustable in length it can be used to make an ajustable tiller lock.

#15 ·
I have an American 14.6 also and use a tiller extension. Also installed a Tiller Clutch. Maybe a bit extravagant for this size boat but allows me to let go of the tiller and move around for short bursts of time to grab those items I thought I secured before I left the dock. Also handy for allowing a sailor to jump up to the bow and douse the jib when that bowline he thought he tied to the head of the mainsail comes undone on the first tack. Not that that’s ever happened to me (cough, cough) heard about it from some old salts at the dock…

#16 ·
lakesnbays:1092666 said:
I have an American 14.6 also and use a tiller extension. Also installed a Tiller Clutch. Maybe a bit extravagant for this size boat but allows me to let go of the tiller and move around for short bursts of time to grab those items I thought I secured before I left the dock. Also handy for allowing a sailor to jump up to the bow and douse the jib when that bowline he thought he tied to the head of the mainsail comes undone on the first tack. Not that that's ever happened to me (cough, cough) heard about it from some old salts at the dock…
LOL. Well we all know none of us make embarrassing mistakes around here :eek:

I was actually thinking about dousing the jib. Even with my tiller ext I don't think I can reach it to quickly haul it down. I've heard the roller furling for this boat adds a considerable amount of the rigging time which turns me off. So... I see how you handle it, I'm wondering how I will. I'm thinking put the boat in irons, cleat the main sheet with the boom centered, and QUICKLY yank down the main. Then release my jib sheets and at that point I should be able to let go of the tiller completely to go forward and bring the jib down.

I have found getting the main down asap is extremely important with this boat because as soon as I turn into the wind I instantly lose headway and the boat spins in place sending the boom all the way to the shroud and me for a near-swim.

#20 · (Edited)
That sounds kind of dangerous. When I want to lower the main, I come up on a close reach, release the mainsheet and lash the tiller to keep the boat on course. Now I can go to the mast to lower the main sail while the boat sails itself to windward. After I get the main lashed to the boom, I can sail back to the dock with just the jib.

#18 ·
I have an O'Day 17 and I would be lost without the tiller extension. I also have a tiller tamer installed which helps hold the course while I raise or lower sails.

On the subject of dousing the jib, I run a 1/16" nylon line from the head of the jib down through the hanks and through a turning block on the deck back to the cabintop. When I want the jib down, release the halyard, pull the dousing line and the jib slips down the forestay with my having to go forward.

#19 ·
The most fun I've ever had with a tiller extension was on my Alcort Sailfish when I was a kid. I was all over that boat. I even stood up to sail it in a blow (with one foot at the base of the mast) before I'd heard of windsurfers.

As an old geezer I use one on my 24 Mirage. When I single-hand I like to sit on the coaming so can watch the telltales on the genoa or relax on the bridge deck. I also let Slocum (the name I gave my tiller pilot) take the helm if I want to concentrate on tweaking the sails.

I also used a line on the jib of my Rebel 16 to douse the sail. It worked well only when luffing up. After pulling the sail down I'd pull one sheet tight to keep at least the foot on deck or pull the clew back to the mast by pulling both jib sheets. It depended on how much time I thought I could afford away from the tiller. The Rebel had a clip on top of the tiller to accept the extension.
-CH

#21 ·
Not sure I understand what you mean by dangerous. The boat would be in irons, making next to no headway. Main sheet is cleated so the boom can not swing and strike me, and both sails pulled down completely depowering the boat. At this point if no one is around I can take my time tidying lines. If there are others around I motor off.

#22 ·
Florida Sailor:1092691 said:
On the subject of dousing the jib, I run a 1/16" nylon line from the head of the jib down through the hanks and through a turning block on the deck back to the cabintop. When I want the jib down, release the halyard, pull the dousing line and the jib slips down the forestay with my having to go forward.
I love this idea. I'm definitely going to rig this setup. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.