Lifting Keel Yachts - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 100 Old 01-09-2016

Re: Lifting Keel Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
You have a very nice boat Fallard. For our lifestyle a bit small. Want to clock 180-200m days. As Bob says nothing like lwl.
There are times I wish my boat were bigger, both inside and along the waterline, but life is full of compromises. This is the biggest sailboat I could find and afford that will float at my dock at a normal low tide. BTW, my best time in transit was 72 hours for the 540 miles from Ft. Pierce to Beaufort, NC, but the Gulf Stream probably had something to do with getting 180 miles/day on average for 3 days. The motor was only on for 3 hours during that leg.

Boat speed is only one of the factors in boating. Having the boat 150 feet from my front door is very convenient and I keep that in mind when dealing with the smallish interior.

You might appreciate the convenience of having your boat close by from the thumbnail showing the view from my front porch. Bigger is not always better, though. Can you imagine trying to get a bigger boat underway from my dock to the channel ~400' away in the second thumbnail?
Attached Thumbnails
P1030165.jpg   P1010563.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 100 Old 01-09-2016

That is way cool. Flip is living on the thing for months on end when every bit of space is appreciated. Life is comprise. Seems like we are both blessed being able to comprise about boat issues. Has sobering experience today making think about how blessed we are.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #83 of 100 Old 01-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Hey and another thing about owning a center board boat is when marinas are full we always find a spot over in the shallow end of the marina where deep draft boats can't go.
We had an incident a few years ago while motoring dead upwind toward Cuttyhunk--that was, until my professionally-rebuilt raw water pump stopped pumping. I tried beating against an increasingly foul current, but it was obvious that we wouldn't make the harbor until well after dark.

Well, time for SeaTow, who took us under tow 6 miles out. The tow skipper asked me what my plan was, since there were no moorings in inner or outer harbors, the anchorage was pretty full, and there were no more "sailboat slips" at the one and only Town Dock. That's when I told him I could float in 2' and could go anywhere he could take me. I was prepared to anchor in shallow water, but he got me the last open dock space, which had 3' at low tide.

Working from the dock the next morning made all the difference. Once I identified the problem, I had local help to identify a parts source on the mainland (New Bedford) and arrange for pick up by the local water taxi operator who was making a run that morning. I had parts in hand and had completed the repair by lunchtime.

post #84 of 100 Old 01-10-2016
Beneteau 411

I'm really favoring one of the Beneteau's with lift keel configuration (ie, 311, 323, and 31). I've been searching for awhile to find out how the keel is designed from both an operational and material standpoint. Specifically I'd like to know:
  • It uses a screw to raise and lower the lift keel but is there also a cable involved?
  • What happens when you run hard aground? Is there a sacrificial element? If so, can it be reset?
  • What is the material of construction of keel (trunk) and lift keel? I read somewhere that it's cast iron with epoxy coating

Any Beneteau owners out there who can answer the above?
post #85 of 100 Old 01-11-2016
Barquito

Here is another lifting keel boat:

The C&C Mega 30. And it's trailerable.

Valiant 32
post #86 of 100 Old 01-11-2016
Anarchist in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Here is another lifting keel boat:

The C&C Mega 30. And it's trailerable.
A decent boat if you can stand the looks of it.
Faster and cb32863 like this.

Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse.
post #87 of 100 Old 01-12-2016
Beneteau 411

Today I'll be looking at my first Beneteau 31 with lift keel in order to compare against the Beneteau 323. While it's a lot newer it does seem to have 2 downsides compared to the 323:
  • Reduced headroom (5-10 compared to 6-2)
  • Deeper draft (3-1 compared to 2-7)

On the positive side, the Nav Station seems to allow for addition of future (yet to be determined) electronics while the 323 has very limited capability for future additions.

Update: Viewed the 31 as planned. All of the above proved true. All other things equal, I prefer the 323. Of course, all other things are never equal

Last edited by prroots; 01-13-2016 at 08:58 AM.
post #88 of 100 Old 01-15-2016

Dock

prroots --

Sorry, I have not been on for a week or two, so I missed your questions. I have a couple of documents describing the lifting keel mechanism that would be happy to email to you if you PM me. I have a great Beneteau brochure on the lifting keel in .pdf format, which Sailnet does not accept as an upload format. As I mentioned a while ago, I love my Beneteau 323. We have touched bottom with the lifting keel down and it simply kicks back with no damage. The one time we hit really hard, it sprayed a drop of grease out of the trunk in the cabin. We have also run aground on a sandy bottom a couple of times -- our channel is totally unmarked, and the sandbar moves ever year. We have had no ill effect whatsoever. The twin rudder setup is something particularly nice. The keel is cast iron with epoxy. Raising and lowering the keel requires more patience than strength. It is 100 turns, generally the job of the admiral. Only annoying when single handing. Of course unless the wind is quite lively, I often just leave it up. There is a slight penalty in leeway, but the boat handles fine, and I have never seen a boat that tracks any better.
post #89 of 100 Old 01-15-2016

Dock

Beautifully filmed!
post #90 of 100 Old 01-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cande View Post
Beautifully filmed!
Huh? What film?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Tags
southerly , yacht delivery

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in