SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Presto 36 Munroe/Parker design, Seaworthy?? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/105404-presto-36-munroe-parker-design-seaworthy.html)

benesailor 11-07-2013 07:42 PM

Presto 36 Munroe/Parker design, Seaworthy??

How far off-shore would you go in this boat?

http://www.parker-marine.com/presto36page.htm
Quote:

Presto 36
Just curious. So far it's a good coastal cruiser. Just looking for some input from the diehards that can do the math. It belongs to a buddy of mine. Possibly planning a long coastal trip.
By the way, the boat in question is cold-molded and extremely stout. It hit a concrete sill head on at 5 knots and received a dent. Would have destroyed my boat.

peterchech 11-07-2013 09:00 PM

Re: Presto 36 Munroe/Parker design, Seaworthy??

Seems to have a relatively low 33% ballast to displacement ratio, and the lead isn't very far down, so I would watch the forecast

mad_machine 11-07-2013 09:00 PM

Sharpies regularly sailed from Florida to the Caribbean.. the only trouble with them is that in rough weather they tend to pound as their bow is only barely in the water and is mostly flat bottomed.

peterchech 11-07-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1116401)
Sharpies regularly sailed from Florida to the Caribbean..

To the Bahamas in calm conditions (a daysail basically), but not much further than that.

They lack righting moment, that's the problem. Not quite self-righting from a broach.

manatee 11-07-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterchech (Post 1116421)
To the Bahamas in calm conditions (a daysail basically), but not much further than that.

They lack righting moment, that's the problem. Not quite self-righting from a broach.

Presto was a modified 'round bilge' sharpie:
"I was lead to make a try for still greater stability...adding a little deadrise, and increasing the depth of hull and bilges to give ample displacement and righting moment. Thus, with slightly rounded bilges, and clean entrance and clearance we arrived at 'Presto'."

"...she never heeled enough to take water over the cockpit rail in the six years that I sailed her from Cape Cod to the Gulf of Mexico, in all kinds of sea and weather. ...She was one of the most wholesome and satisfactory boats I ever owned."
--excerpted from "The 'Presto' Type of Centerboarder",
Ralph Munroe

In addition to being built light and very strong, Reuel Parker's boat has an arc bottom, and the bow stays in the water, as seen here . Since the original Presto traveled between New York and Biscayne Bay on her own bottom, assuming competent handling by the crew, you should have no problems going anywhere you want in this boat.

benesailor 11-08-2013 07:05 AM

thanks for the input guys. The comments seem to reaffirm my thoughts.

bobperry 11-08-2013 09:32 AM

The original Presto desighn was known as a great sea boat. It remains one of my all time favorite designs. It was light years ahead of it's time.

benesailor 11-08-2013 10:14 AM

Thanks Bob, while I'm not necessarily sold on the design compared to modern boats; It is a great boat and has some distinct advantages. (shallow draft, Easy handling). I guess i'll hold out on my reservations until i see how this boat handles in a blow.

manatee 11-08-2013 10:57 AM

Read "The Commodore's Story", by Ralph Munroe & Vince Gilpin, for first-hand accounts of Presto's abilities. Never mind the used copies at scalper's prices, buy it brand-new for $19.95 at the Historical Museum of Southern Florida, *here*.

Eye candy:
Presto(nee Exuma 36)'s slightly bigger sister, Teresa (Exuma 44) in the Bahamas.

Nassau
Parked

benesailor 11-08-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

ead "The Commodore's Story", by Ralph Munroe & Vince Gilpin, for first-hand accounts of Presto's abilities. Never mind the used copies at scalper's prices, buy it brand-new for $19.95 at the Historical Museum of Southern Florida, *here*.
Another book to my collection :)