Presto 36 Munroe/Parker design, Seaworthy?? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-07-2013 Thread Starter

Presto 36 Munroe/Parker design, Seaworthy??

How far off-shore would you go in this boat?

Quote:
Just curious. So far it's a good coastal cruiser. Just looking for some input from the diehards that can do the math. It belongs to a buddy of mine. Possibly planning a long coastal trip.
By the way, the boat in question is cold-molded and extremely stout. It hit a concrete sill head on at 5 knots and received a dent. Would have destroyed my boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-07-2013

Re: Presto 36 Munroe/Parker design, Seaworthy??

Seems to have a relatively low 33% ballast to displacement ratio, and the lead isn't very far down, so I would watch the forecast
post #3 of 13 Old 11-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

Sharpies regularly sailed from Florida to the Caribbean.. the only trouble with them is that in rough weather they tend to pound as their bow is only barely in the water and is mostly flat bottomed.

Art Haberland

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Sharpies regularly sailed from Florida to the Caribbean..
To the Bahamas in calm conditions (a daysail basically), but not much further than that.

They lack righting moment, that's the problem. Not quite self-righting from a broach.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
To the Bahamas in calm conditions (a daysail basically), but not much further than that.

They lack righting moment, that's the problem. Not quite self-righting from a broach.

Presto was a modified 'round bilge' sharpie:
"I was lead to make a try for still greater stability...adding a little deadrise, and increasing the depth of hull and bilges to give ample displacement and righting moment. Thus, with slightly rounded bilges, and clean entrance and clearance we arrived at 'Presto'."

"...she never heeled enough to take water over the cockpit rail in the six years that I sailed her from Cape Cod to the Gulf of Mexico, in all kinds of sea and weather. ...She was one of the most wholesome and satisfactory boats I ever owned."
--excerpted from "The 'Presto' Type of Centerboarder",
Ralph Munroe

In addition to being built light and very strong, Reuel Parker's boat has an arc bottom, and the bow stays in the water, as seen here . Since the original Presto traveled between New York and Biscayne Bay on her own bottom, assuming competent handling by the crew, you should have no problems going anywhere you want in this boat.
mitiempo likes this.

=====================
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=====================
"The skipper should be the calmest person on board. It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,

=====================
post #6 of 13 Old 11-08-2013 Thread Starter

thanks for the input guys. The comments seem to reaffirm my thoughts.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-08-2013
grumpy old man

The original Presto desighn was known as a great sea boat. It remains one of my all time favorite designs. It was light years ahead of it's time.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #8 of 13 Old 11-08-2013 Thread Starter

Thanks Bob, while I'm not necessarily sold on the design compared to modern boats; It is a great boat and has some distinct advantages. (shallow draft, Easy handling). I guess i'll hold out on my reservations until i see how this boat handles in a blow.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-08-2013

Read "The Commodore's Story", by Ralph Munroe & Vince Gilpin, for first-hand accounts of Presto's abilities. Never mind the used copies at scalper's prices, buy it brand-new for $19.95 at the Historical Museum of Southern Florida, *here*.

Eye candy:
Presto(nee Exuma 36)'s slightly bigger sister, Teresa (Exuma 44) in the Bahamas.

Nassau
Parked

=====================
=====================
"The skipper should be the calmest person on board. It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,

=====================

Last edited by manatee; 11-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-08-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
ead "The Commodore's Story", by Ralph Munroe & Vince Gilpin, for first-hand accounts of Presto's abilities. Never mind the used copies at scalper's prices, buy it brand-new for $19.95 at the Historical Museum of Southern Florida, *here*.
Another book to my collection

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in