Dismantling a Harken furler - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-05-2014 Thread Starter

Dismantling a Harken furler

I recently bought a 1984 used Harken furler, series 1, very cheap. The lower bearings are stiff, but I figured I could dismantle the unit and refurbish it. I easily took the outer bearing off the lower swivel after removing the circlip, and was surprised to see the ball bearings appear to be nylon, or plastic or something similar.
But I’m completely baffled as to how to get at the inner bearing races. There doesn’t appear to be any retaining clips, only two little oil holes in the one piece housing.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Who would be mad enough to convert a perfectly good Ketch into a Brigantine Schooner?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Read about this major refit at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Also items for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-05-2014

Re: Dismantling a Harken furler

Have you tried contacting Harken?

btw the ball bearings are 'Delrin', I believe.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 10 Old 01-05-2014

If it's the same furler I think it is, those two oiling holes have an allen screws inside. Try poking around with an allen key and see if you feel something.

We have three rules;
No screaming.
No bleeding on the sails.
No slobbering on the charts.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-05-2014 Thread Starter

Hi Dog Ship,
You were almost right, but what you said prompted me to remove the two little plastic plugs, by screwing a self tapper into them and pulling with a claw hammer. There is no allan key, only a hole giving access to the ball bearings, (which are either Delrin or Torlon—some sort of plastic material).
I will give a little background for those who might be interested:
This furler is for my foremast staysail, (Brigantine schooner), and I wanted to utilize a long turnbuckle top stud—which cost an arm and a leg—to carry the gooseneck of the staysail boom. The thread sizes were different and left handed, between the Harken shaft, and the turnbuckle stud, and I couldn’t turn that on my lathe, so I turned the stud down to fit snug into the shaft and welded it to the shaft. I immediately knew something was wrong when the bearings started to smoke, but I didn’t for one moment think they would be made of plastic!!
Anyway, they melted themselves to the shaft, hence the stiffness in rotating.
This was last Friday night, and there is absolutely nothing on Harken’s site or anywhere else I could find on the web which explained how the inner shaft was fitted inside the one piece outer housing.
I removed the two ½” diameter “oiling plugs” which turned out not to be oiling plugs at all, but holes just big enough to pop the bearings in and out of their sockets.
These two pieces can be seen on the photo, including the “garden pea” bearings, 12 balls to each bearing.
The uppermost ring of bearings dropped out of the hole easily enough, but not the lower balls, which were fused to their grooves. These had to be individually drilled and waggled out of the hole, which took a total of three hours for twelve balls.
Then the last of these was out, the inner shaft came out of the outer housing to reveal all.
I damaged the inner bearing surface with the drilling, but nothing which can’t be cleaned up with my needle files.
So this is where we stand, and tomorrow I phone Harken to find out why the fitted plastic bearings on a headsail furler, instead of stainless balls, which I will probably use as replacements.
So I guess the moral is: “you live and learn” and that’s why I’ve taken the trouble to write this, to hopefully save someone else making the same mistakes.

Who would be mad enough to convert a perfectly good Ketch into a Brigantine Schooner?
. Also items for sale.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-05-2014 Thread Starter

Sorry, forgot the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Harken.jpg  

. Also items for sale.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-05-2014

I have a small side question and problem with a furler on a 1984 C&C 33 Mk11. The genoa, when raised, pulls the furler up, off the deck.
Do you see in the assembly, a part that is designed to hold the furler down, on the Harken? The circlip?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-05-2014 Thread Starter

Sorry Sony2000, I don't know enough about these units to advise on that. I'm just trying to put my unit together again properly, so I can forget it and move on to the next item on my never ending list.

. Also items for sale.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony2000 View Post
I have a small side question and problem with a furler on a 1984 C&C 33 Mk11. The genoa, when raised, pulls the furler up, off the deck.
Do you see in the assembly, a part that is designed to hold the furler down, on the Harken? The circlip?
Try this link: (slow to load.. be patient.. I think you need pg 13-14-15 or so)

Harken Mark1 Owners Manual

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-06-2014 at 01:01 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-06-2014

Thank you Faster. That is a very nice find, for me.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-06-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks Faster, I also downloaded the manual which I couldn't find anywhere before. It's quite informative, but it still doesn't tell you how to actually remove and replace the balls.
By the way, they cost a dollar each from Harken.

. Also items for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in