Stop, the end, an exit plan for sailing. - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-04-2014 Thread Starter
sunfish?junior?

Stop, the end, an exit plan for sailing.

I am right now at the start. It may seem odd to try to plan so far into the future. It goes against the do it now. Just do it. Sell it all and get out there advice.
Would it make sense to have an exit plan ? Is this a plan needed to finance an exit ? Is a plan just a road block or an anchor that stops us? We have a thread for $500 a month and $3000 a month. What defines the last month ?
I am trying to find out what happens to old salts after the cruise or life aboard? Josh Slocum sailed on. The Bumfuzzle crew got a van. Yes all will pass on
I kind of guess it is the same on the water as on land. You need to know when to sell out or do if you just live out, and pass on aboard the boat. We can never really get away. Unlike a home a boat will not gain any value over time.
Thoughts ?
Kind Regards, Lou
joyinPNW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-05-2014

re: Stop, the end, an exit plan for sailing.

Well I am not fully agreed to you. I suppose if you don't want to sail, rather than selling out the boat I would suggest to rent it (to some known person). Its may be the matter of time that you don't want to sail. Who knows may be after 2 months or so you want it again. And nevertheless its sailing time again.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-05-2014

My plan is to give mine to my kids. I sure wish my parents had given me one.

I sold my house on my last cruise and it was a mistake for me. The next time I go, we're keeping the house, even if we're gone several years. But, we have decided that it makes a lot more sense to just summer at home, and spend 7 to 8 months cruising every year, until we are too old to do it any more. We like our friends here, and our families, here and it's fun to have a foot in both worlds.
jimgo and Lou452 like this.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 03-05-2014 at 07:56 AM.

post #4 of 25 Old 03-05-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

We are not at the exit from sailing point to be sure but we are at the what next point. We very much enjoy cruising but doubt we will do another circumnavigation or something similar. We will see what is it like in the Caribbean for a season but based on our short time there last month it certainly seemed crowded and perhaps a bit of the same old-same old. We might sail to Europe and I am interested in colder spots like Greenland but June does not enjoy cold weather sailing so likely not doing that.

Also, there are lots of things we want to do on-land. We really enjoyed the backpacking/interior travel we did on our voyage (Ecuador/Peru, NZ, Australia, South Africa). There are lots of interesting places that are not accessible by boat.

I think that exit plans fall into two categories: what you will do and financial. Financially we are OK with an indexed private pension and various government pensions (and yes I know we are lucky), a paid for house in a booming real estate market, and some investments, but it is the other category we have not figured out. I think you can and should have at least some idea about the financial what comes after. As to the what to do, not sure you can plan that very easily since your cruising experiences will make you a different person with different perspectives on life and the world.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-05-2014
bell ringer

I don't have an exit plan and don't plan to do one until I see the end as being closer. I think that except for a sudden death I should see the end coming, either health/age or financially wise, quite a ways before getting there. And since the conditions at that time can be so varied I may as well kind of wait to decide what and how to deal with it.
Lou452 likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-05-2014

I'm sure most folks will read this post and say "what?!", just like I did. But wait. I have thought about that. I'm a new boat owner at 57 and my wife is 56 years old. So. I can still climb like a monkey, am in excellent health, (real excellent ambition), and refitting the top end of the boat for years of worry-free adventure around the PNW.

BUT... realistically, I have thought "maybe we'll have 10 years" of good sailing left in us. So much can change that; health, finances, job, retirement, the economy, new war with Russia...

When it comes time to hang a 'for sale' sign on Traveler, we'll know it. We didn't buy her for any kind of investment or return. Would I have had these thoughts in my 30's or 40's? Probably not.

Dave
Lou452 likes this.

Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
post #7 of 25 Old 03-05-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

sail until i am dead
the restis undefined.
Lou452 and harmonic like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #8 of 25 Old 03-05-2014

Sorta in line w/ this thread is what do we do so we CAN go cruising. I'm almost ready to retire and move somewhere less crowded and less expensive. But I'm not sure I want to chuck everything and go cruising full time. Do we buy a small house and keep our "stuff", what little we plan to hold on to there, and go and just cruise part of the year? Do we put our "stuff" in storage and really take the leap and run away? I can see us doing like Killarney and doing inland travel for weeks at a time in various locales. Interspersed w/ coming home some to take care of business, visit family, see the doc, etc.

So what would YOU do?

CS 36M DIANTHUS
post #9 of 25 Old 03-05-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Sail until I am dead.

Yup dat is plan A.

My boat is being 'minded' by a 77 year old who still scrubs hi own bottom using snorkel gear.

I know of two 80+ liveaboards still sailing.
jephotog, zeehag and Lou452 like this.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-05-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

sailordave..i already did...i am out here in lovely weather beautiful countryside and no possessions other than what i have under and around me and nipping my ankles occasionally

much better than having to keep an eye on stuff in remote locations....
besides mebbe ye find somewhere better to be and dont wanna return to where yoiur stuff is stashed......something to consider.....
Lou452 likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in