Ice on Lake Superior in June - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 175 Old 03-24-2014
Captain Obvious

Re: Ice on Lake Superior in June

Those "void of space" days, now that was cold. None of this "atmosphere" crap to keep you warm. I walked up hill both ways. LOL
bljones and MikeOReilly like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 175 Old 03-24-2014

The longer the winter, the more fun the summer and less demanding we are of the sun. Gotta love the north country. What else we gonna do,move to the tropics?
post #63 of 175 Old 03-24-2014
'81 H22 & '86 Legend 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnCamie View Post
The longer the winter, the more fun the summer and less demanding we are of the sun. Gotta love the north country. What else we gonna do,move to the tropics?
Bob, the tropics aren't all they're cracked up to be. Too many people down there crawling over each other like rats in a cage. Here, you can sail up to the Slate Islands and get a nice anchorage where it's cool at night and you can actually sleep, the fishing is good, and you won't see anybody else for days at a time.

Meanwhile, down in the tropics you're bleeding sweat 24 hrs a day. And there's so many boats in an anchorage you don't even need a dinghy to get to shore. You can walk to shore by hopping from one boat to another. Oh, and don't forget to tell the dingbat that dropped hook right next to you about what you think about him running that Honda EU2000 flat out on the stern deck so he can run his A/C unit.

Be happy with what we got here. Folks down south got it a lot worse. And, while few of them could survive up here anyway so there's little chance they will invade, it's best to let the lower latitude people think they got it made.

post #64 of 175 Old 03-24-2014

I like your attitude! And I believe whole-heartedly with your sentiments. Made a major mistake a few years ago and introduced my wife to snorkeling and the tropics. My life has been more difficult since then. Will show her your reply. Just wish it was warmer here. After living in Panama for a year, learned to love the tropics, but hate the jungles. They are hand in hand,too. Winter has lost its appeal for me.
post #65 of 175 Old 03-24-2014
'81 H22 & '86 Legend 37

Snorkeling is fun, no doubt. But for us it can never match a sunrise in the Slate Islands on a cool morning with fog in the cove, loons calling, and cooking breakfast over a campfire on the shore.

The lower latitudes can be a nice break for 2-3 weeks in the middle of winter. But much more than that and my wife starts wondering when we're going home because she's had enough of "paradise". We took off two weeks this year and went sailing in the Keys and my wife starts getting irritated after the first week because it's too crowded down there and it's all a big developed tourist trap. And they got regulations about where you can even even drop an anchor for fear of disturbing a fish.

It's good to spend some time there. It makes you appreciate what you have out your back door once you get back home.
post #66 of 175 Old 03-25-2014
Old enough to know better

Hey the way I figure it the ice is just floating there to cool off the beer, enjoy it!
post #67 of 175 Old 03-25-2014
'81 H22 & '86 Legend 37

post #68 of 175 Old 03-26-2014
Captain Obvious

To answer my own question - What is steering the jet stream? This is from AccuWeather today -

"According to AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Jack Boston, the reason behind the record-breaking winter is due to a blocking high pressure ridge over Alaska, the Yukon and the Northeastern Pacific Ocean. "That system deflected the jet stream across the North Pole, down through Canada and into the United States," he said, citing unseasonably low temperatures as a result of this burst of arctic air. The cool air from the North meets with the jet stream and moisture in the South to create storm systems, and this is the main reason behind this year's heavy snowfall totals, Boston said.

Toledo, Ohio, experienced their snowiest winter ever, with a record breaking snowfall of 84.8 inches. Weather data for the city has been collected since the late 1800s, according to AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Brian Edwards.

I did find this image to describe the jet stream -

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-26-2014 at 06:44 AM. Reason: bad link
post #69 of 175 Old 03-26-2014
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
To answer my own question - What is steering the jet stream?
I don't care .... just make it stop.
bljones likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #70 of 175 Old 03-26-2014
Old soul

Nice image Sal. I like to go to the actual prediction charts like this one:

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/526_100.gif

The 500 hPa panel easily shows the significant air flows, and the jets streams (of which there are many). From this I can see my area (Northern Ontario) will start to get slightly warmer over the coming week, although not really warm (and not where is should be).

Guess my boat will remain inaccessible for a while yet.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in