Your anchor is too big - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 Old 04-01-2014 Thread Starter

Your anchor is too big

I see a lot of people here talking about oversized anchors here. Can somebody explain this too me? It seems they are saying they don't trust the manufacturer of the anchor enough to trust their sizing guides. Why not just purchase an anchor that works flawlessly like a Rocna or other new gen??? So your 35lb CQR worked for ten years of cursing but now that you have a new gen... you are going to 45, seems like a lot of rampant paranoia.
bigdogandy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 04-01-2014
Banned

Re: Your anchor is too big

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I...seems like a lot of rampant paranoia.
That's the best formula for strong retail demand there is.
billyruffn, hotdogs and zeehag like this.
post #3 of 52 Old 04-01-2014

Dock

Remember that movie Fear is the Key?

Just think what would happen if an anchor company purposefully underestimated the size anchor boats need and some boat dragged ashore... The lawyers would have afield day.
So the companies probably also factor in a safety margin.

I but at the top end of the scale. And if on the boarder I would go up a size instead of down a size.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 52 Old 04-01-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

I have a 23 foot boat.. but I fall above the 2500 pounds they recommend for that size boat So I would go for the next size up. I do not see myself needing more than a 15 pound anchor

Art Haberland

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 52 Old 04-01-2014

Anchors are typically sized for "normal" conditions. I have a Manson Supreme 45lb and a Mantus 60lb on the bow. An over sized anchor like the one I have is used for abnormal or storm conditions.

Coastal cruising is pretty good with one anchor but anyone who is off cruising should consider at least two. We have three.
benesailor likes this.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 04-01-2014 at 11:42 AM.
post #6 of 52 Old 04-01-2014

I alway thought if your anchor was too big for your boat it would not set right. The boat need to be able to set the anchor...no?

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #7 of 52 Old 04-01-2014
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"Why not just purchase an anchor that works flawlessly like"

Because none of them are flawless. In some conditions, every anchor will fail and by using one that is "too large" there's less chance of that happening. The rode will break instead, or the anchor chocks, or something else.

What's good enough for lunch or a dinner trip ashore, is plenty good enough. Unless you want "one size fits all" that can also withstand a hurricane, which is when "oversize" begins to count.

Rule of thumb: If you can lift the anchor, it's too small. (G)
post #8 of 52 Old 04-01-2014
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

BF-

The short answer, is that the sizing guides are not that accurate. They are a vague, general guideline.

For example, a sizing guide that recommends a 22lb. modern anchor, for a 30 foot boat, displacing up to 8,000lbs, doesn't consider or include people, provisions, and equipment that could easily take the boat over the guide's recommendation.

Then factor in that the sizing guides *might* be written for up to 20kt breezes.
Forget hurricanes, what about that summer squall that rolls through with 35 kts of breeze?

Howeverrrrr...there is truth in what you say. Some people up-size their anchor and rode well beyond the range of common sense, relying on the "iron mountain" strategy.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #9 of 52 Old 04-01-2014

I prefer to use a heavier than normal anchor, and I prefer to use heavier than normal all chain rode, for the following reason:

Bottom characteristics especially around islands that are subject to constant 'surge' can quickly change, or scour out all the 'soft stuff', sand, etc. and what was good holding, a year later can now be 'poor holding'. When in light to moderate sea and wind conditions, and the next anchorage is many many miles away, the extra heavy weight of the anchor and perhaps a few hundred pounds of chain dumped on top of the anchor sometimes makes the difference between a good night's sleep or staying up all damn night doing an anchor watch. I do this a lot on the Bahama and other 'banks', and dont care if I do drag, sometimes several miles; as in such conditions/bottoms the MORE weight/mass you have down the less the amount of drag .... and the longer you can get 'a few winks'.

;-)
jrd22 likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 04-01-2014 at 11:51 AM.
post #10 of 52 Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Why not just purchase an anchor that works flawlessly like"
Because sometimes you do sometimes choose to anchor in less than ideal bottom conditions which prevent 'flawless' performance of any anchor. Anchoring in areas of scoured-out marl or 'cochina' bottoms with only 2-3 inches of rounded (fish chewed) coral reef sand on top can sometimes be a bear

Last edited by RichH; 04-01-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in