The Benefits of Bottom Feeding - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 Old 04-04-2014

Re: The Benefits of Bottom Feeding

I've just about decided that even very used boats are not to low enough standards for me. I want SIMPLE. This means just a porta-potti, no stove except a BBQ, almost no electrical systems except VHF and lights and handheld electronics. I do require a good diesel engine. For sails, I want a boat with a dhow type rig with an unstayed mast, maybe a gaff rig without a boom. This will mean almost no expensive rigging and sails so simple they can be made from polytarp and simple 3 strand lines. Mast should be short so it can be easily dropped to go under bridges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 Old 04-04-2014

Over the last 50 years my family has owned boats, everything from 60' power cruisers to 10' snarks. In total probably 30 boats plus the small ones, I don't think we have ever bought a boat over 20' new. And that only because on smaller fishing boats most of the cost and problems are in the engines, and a repower isn't that much less than just buying a boat from the showroom.

I understand why people buy new boats, but I will never be one of them.

Greg
post #13 of 68 Old 04-04-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

I admit I am a bottom feeder. At age 43, I have owned 1 new car.. the rest were used. Some were gently used, some were basket cases, but all were used can came to me a -lot- cheaper than what they cost the original owner.

Same with my Boats.

While I cannot afford a new boat.. there are very few new boats out there I would want to buy. Yes, I know they are generally much better than older boats. they point better, they have a faster hull speed, and have a wider beam so you can store more stuff and still have room to think... but I find most of them pretty damn ugly.

Give me a pretty double ender, or something with long overhangs and a full keel and I will be very happy. It may take me twice as long to get there, but it just means I get to be happier longer
bljones and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Art Haberland

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 68 Old 04-04-2014

Aesop had a fable about different strokes for different folks so there's nothing new about variations on a theme. Personally I've never bought a new boat but I never considered myself a bottom feeder. I created my chosen vessel by my own labour and talents to the best of my ability. Lived the chosen lifestyle for 40 years and allowed my vessel to make me a better than average income for the last 20.Felt pretty good about it too. Biggest problem was keeping the hubris to tolerable levels. All in all, success enough .What I didn't see coming was health related . So I'm glad I did it my way while I had the time and wish you the same success regardless of methodology.
bljones likes this.
post #15 of 68 Old 04-04-2014

In my observations, most who actually sail do not have a new boat. The new boats are at a dock at a marina in a slip, most of the time. All the best to anyone who buys a new boat and actually gets out there and sails it, I just don't see it happening.
post #16 of 68 Old 04-05-2014

We need pictures of these "depreciated" gems. I can't remember how to post pictures or I'd have done so.
post #17 of 68 Old 04-05-2014

Yup. Jonesy couldn't be more right. At the bottom we all make the most of what we have and enjoy it that much more, because we made something out of nothing. We will have more fun and appreciate what we have more than someone that just threw a bunch of disposable income towards a status symbol just to say they have a yacht. The only thing I ever splurged for was my Harley. It's been paid off for years now and I will never ever pay for something that I cannot pay cash for. That bike will be with me until it dies. Same with my boats and my dog. When you appreciate what you have and what it cost you to get it, that object becomes so dear to you that you would never give it up.
Just my thoughts.....

Not knocking anyone else, but so many regular folks have sailed the world in boats that most people would readily dismiss as 'not blue water capable'. It's all about the person, the boat and luck. The biggest being 'luck'. We all can do whatever we want, but in the end, it just comes down to being lucky. Not catching cancer, not getting dementia, not getting killed by some lunatic, not drowning because you failed somehow sailing your boat or not getting run down on the road by some self-obsessed puke too busy texting to notice you.

It's a beautiful and terrible world out there. It's what you make of it. I'll keep sailing my$300 20' sloop that I have spent hours fixing up because that is all I can afford to do. My time on the water in my boat is so priceless, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Steve

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
bljones likes this.
post #18 of 68 Old 04-05-2014
Noah's Bosun

Old man
Old boat
No mailbox
No bills

No problem
miatapaul, bljones and Ajax_MD like this.

"If the wind will not serve, lay to the oars"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 68 Old 04-05-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

Dear Mr. Jones,

Should I be concerned that I find myself agreeing with you more and more?

Weren't you once banned/almost banned from Sailnet? Am I becoming a fellow loser in Dockers?

Signed
A Concerned Sailor
bljones likes this.
post #20 of 68 Old 04-05-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
A generation ago, a 30 foot cruising boat was what you traded up TO, and you kept her for 20 years, because you'd made it- you had space and luxury, and comfort to cruise or weekend comfortably- it was the boat you never felt you would outgrow...and most didn't.

Today, a 30 foot boat is the marketed as an "entry level" cruising boat, a boat to start with, and trade out of as quickly as possible..
When I was a youngster here at the Jersey Shore.. 30 feet of boat seemed huge and was about as big as most people went. Some had 33, some had 35, but most were around 30.. this was mostly powerboats. Sailboats were usually in the high 20s. Then around 1980 the first "big boat" pulled into the local marina. A huge 45 footer that required dockage at the end of one of the T docks and some dredging to get in and out easily... Wow was that boat huge and it never ever seemed to go anywhere.

Today, Compared to some of the boats I see here at the shore.. that 45 footer is average. It is people like me with their 23 to 30 foot boats who are looked down upon as if to say "that is all you could afford?"
bljones and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Art Haberland

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in