The Benefits of Bottom Feeding - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 68 Old 04-07-2014
Senior Moment Member

Re: The Benefits of Bottom Feeding

I bought my latest boat (30') after an intensive 8 month search. I got it for a very good but not dirt cheap price - I looked at several of the same model that were cheaper. After I sold off all the COTB that I didn't want, I had cut the net cost almost in 1/2.

I just paid my moorage bill for the coming year and it was only a couple of $100 less than I have in the whole boat. This for a fully capable blue water boat - it would require little more than provisioning before heading offshore.

Can't do it much cheaper than that.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 Old 04-07-2014
Shanachie, Bristol 30

The problem with bottom feeding is that some people look only at price.

They don't have the skills to know the rigging is shot, the stuffing box hoses are about to split, the keel bolts are rusted, the engine is on its last legs, the through hull hoses are about to give way, the fuel tank is leaking, etc.

So they buy the 4K boat and end up either sinking another 10-20K into it, walking away from the boat altogether or putting their lives in danger by sailing it in an unsafe condition.

I can stand at my dock and see a dozen sailboats like that.

Yeah, there are great deals out there sometimes, when people just want to get rid of a boat and don't care what they get. But there are many more boats that are cheap for a reason -- 30 years of neglect that can't be remedied without a sizeable amount of money.

This is especially true when the sailboat was built to a price point to begin with. It wasn't all that seaworthy when it was new because of gate valves, concrete ballast, undersized rigging and chopper-gun fiberglassing.

Now all of that stuff is corroded, weakened and stressed.
JimMcGee, bljones and eoffermann like this.
post #43 of 68 Old 04-07-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

I own a timber boat and, since timber boats are even less desirable on the Used Sailboat market than regular plastic boats and hence worth less $$$, perhaps that makes me a bottom feeder deeper than most around here...

From my lowly position at the bottom I am constantly reminded of a famous quote by Naval Architect Colin Mudie:

"One day I shall have two boats exactly the same. I shall sail in one and look back at the other to extract the last ounce of pleasure from my labour. And if it happens that I cannot have two lovely boats and become bitter, I shall sail around in the ugliest of boats I can find, looking at everyone else's nice boat, whilst they have to avert their gaze from mine."

Replace "ugliest" with "cheapest" and perhaps that will make you feel better whilst enjoying the view looking upwards.
bljones and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office

post #44 of 68 Old 04-07-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananchie View Post
The problem with bottom feeding is that some people look only at price.
That's Darwinism. A bottomfeeder in it for the long haul knows what to eat and what is too far past it's best before date. Bottomfeeders who don't, aren't bottomfeeders for long.
Successful bottomfeeding isn't about price- it is about value.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 68 Old 04-08-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
That's Darwinism. A bottomfeeder in it for the long haul knows what to eat and what is too far past it's best before date. Bottomfeeders who don't, aren't bottomfeeders for long.
+1 on that. Spoken like a true bottomfeeder!..
christian.hess likes this.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office
post #46 of 68 Old 04-08-2014
Captain Obvious

Great writing Brian. Put aside childish ways and all that. But even my 18 yo self wouldn't think of a 50 year old guy with a boat and a hot wife as a failure.

Sailboats can be had cheap, I'll give you that - but of course its keeping them that is expensive. Its the cost of docks and yards that kills old boats.
bljones likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #47 of 68 Old 04-08-2014
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Due to economic conditions of the past 10 years, the "bottom" has been redefined.

In more prosperous times, my boat would have sold for $10,000 (which still isn't a lot, in the yachting world). I bought it for $4,000.

As Jones says, I knew that it was "safe to eat":
Dry core in the decks and cabin, strong engine, solid rigging, a full suit of sails, electrical system fully functional, and not a total pile of spaghetti.
All of the amenities work- fresh water, stove, toilet, etc.
30 feet, sleeps 6, still competitive in the racing scene?!?!

That's not bottom feeding, it's practically theft!

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #48 of 68 Old 04-08-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

Yes, but nothing shouts "CLASSY" like a shiny brand new financed boatshow boat, a mortgaged McMansion in the suburbs, and a financed Lexus SUV in the garage!

It announces to the world, I am a 1st class consumer, the most gullible in the crowd, undoubtably superior to those who cannot afford my monthly payments!

Now, where is that lowly mechanic to service my inboard diesel, since I don't know my way around a toolbox...

Last edited by jameswilson29; 04-08-2014 at 08:28 AM.
post #49 of 68 Old 04-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
AMEN bro!

I always look at best value and almost never at the price...as a means to see if Im getting a good deal or not. Of course I have a budget when shopping for boats but Im all about value and actual work that has been done to the boat over just looking at rock bottom price...

you couldnt of said it better really
bljones likes this.

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 68 Old 04-08-2014

Send a message via Yahoo to sailorsam69
Smile Re: The Benefits of Bottom Feeding

Hey all!!
About a year ago my girl and I bought a 1964 cal 28 for $3500. As of today we have done alot of work on her. She was well kept, but not sailed for 10 yrs. PO used her as a PB AAGHH. My take on all of the "new vs old" talk is quite simply this "I want to be able to afford a brand new 37 ft boat" I don't want a brand new 37 ft boat, i just want to be able to afford one. So we bought a 50 yo boat, spent about $6,000 and many hours of work/school, getting her to OUR idea of safe and seaworthy. We now have a beautiful, seaworthy, safe boat. We know every inch of her and can repair or replace anything on her. It's comforting to know that Murphy's law won't stop us from sailing. i think Sailing is one of those things that is either in your character or it's not. if it is you'll find a way to get out on the water, if it's not you might get that status symbol that sits at the dock.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in