The Benefits of Bottom Feeding - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 68 Old 04-09-2014
Senior Moment Member

Re: The Benefits of Bottom Feeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
"Sturgis"?, been there, but not during "Bike week" or whatever it is called. Never had a "real" street bike but am wondering what happens if you bring a Japanese made bike there?

Paul T
Watch the TV show - lots of metric cruisers there.

Somehow I can't see a sailor fitting in no matter what kind of bike they were on.

A couple of weeks spent with thousands and thousands of stumbling drunk, hard core bikers - paradise on Earth

From watching a bit of the show I was reminded of the old line about the IQ of a mob - take the lowest IQ present and divide by the number of people.

At Sturgis it would appear to end up at about the 8th decimal place.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 04-09-2014
Freedom Chip Counter

[QUOTE=SloopJonB;1719529]

A couple of weeks spent with thousands and thousands of stumbling drunk, hard core bikers - paradise on Earth
QUOTE]

Lot's of nice bikes and people, but as Sloop says ...thousands of stumbling drunks....many that should not be on bikes. I always get a chuckle seeing the thousands of "hardcore" bikers trailering their rides into (or just outside of) town.
bljones likes this.
post #63 of 68 Old 04-10-2014
Above 5 knots

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Because you bought them NEW!
I looked for used... I'd have settled for sails half the age of the boat... no go. Now that I've had new, OH boy... maybe that's how the ball starts rolling... you buy 1 thing new, and it snowballs.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

post #64 of 68 Old 04-10-2014

Dock

Happy bottom feeder here! I turned an immediate (if unrealized) profit on my first boat. Pulled the trigger knowing that I could sink it, sell the trailer and make a few bucks.

Doing some work on it, not more than I want to. Will sail her until I outgrow her then see what else is out there.
post #65 of 68 Old 04-10-2014

With two kids, future colleges etc and a wife who wouldn't sail but like Needless Mark up stores was a bottom feeder for decades and enjoyed the hell out of it. Hell I even enjoyed stepping back and seeing a clean bottom I sanded and painted myself.
With kids taken care of and long term savings put aside became a middle feeder. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Wonderful to have a boat that performed and could take out across blue water. Wonderful to have my head higher then my butt most often.
Now being an old fart knew just want I wanted in a boat and finally have the time to spit up the anchor. Ah that new boat done just the way you want it. Think it will sure be nice to be a top feeder and enjoy the hell out of it. Still going to paint my bottom in a couple of weeks. Still so much to learn about maintenance and they say "when you stop learning you better have dirt in your face". However,nice to think she not coming out of the water for a couple of years, no major repairs/maintenance and she'll see new top waters every month or two on the never ending cruise never seeing bottom waters.
Never owned a new boat until now. As said to Mikey "try it you'll like it".

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #66 of 68 Old 04-10-2014
Senior Moment Member

My problem with new boats is that there's nothing to do onboard but sail them.
outbound likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #67 of 68 Old 04-10-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
My problem with new boats is that there's nothing to do onboard but sail them.
Huh?!? Nobody sails a new boat.. you'll scratch the gelcoat - and besides, new, stiff, sails make too much noise flogging in the breeze and are too slippery for your stiletto-shod guests to handle.

No.. new boats are permanently tied up to marinas and used for lunch and dinner parties and as a hangout to impress your friends. Hence the big-screen TV and cinema surround-sound.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office

Last edited by Classic30; 04-10-2014 at 07:27 PM.
post #68 of 68 Old 04-10-2014

Hey Classic- if you ever come the upside up part of the globe I'd love to take you sailing. Seems a lot of new boats splash and take off cruising. Remember for many the new boat is the only new boat they will ever own. It's bought after several old boats. Its bought with a purpose. Commonly to see what life is like in other time zones. Spoke to multiple owners of the hulls of the prior few years . Nearly all owners have been out of their country of origin. O and its wicked cool to see the screen of your chart plotter up on the flat screen. So far have put a hole in the luff of the main, cracked a batten car, scratched the stainless in a small spot when a block worked loose, have replaced lines due to wear and so on. No injuries were done in the slip. Its a sail boat. This past year cried I couldn't sail it more but hope to soon feel better about that.
Classic30 likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in