Words of Wisdom; Words of Warning - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 04-10-2014 Thread Starter
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

Words of Wisdom; Words of Warning

Hi, Haven't been on Sailnet in quite awhile - we sold the boat and became landlubbers asfter 15 years of living aboard and cruising. But we're still keeping our website (The Frugal Mariner: Home Page) going.

I had an idea for a new page that might help keep other boaters from making the same mistakes that we have. I'm going to call it Words of Wisdom; Words of Warning. And I'd like the help of all of you on SailNet.

I'd like you to post some of the stupid things you've done on your boat (admit it, we all have) which after you did it, realized how dumb it was.

I'll get it started.

Saltwater Suzi and Cap'n Larry

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-10-2014 Thread Starter
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

Re: Words of Wisdom; Words of Warning

One of the dumb things I did (there are many) working in a deep cockpit locker seat - I climbed back out and the seat slammed closed... and LATCHED! I was very lucky it didn't happen when I was in there. But after that, I always teid the seat open so it couldn't happen. I told a friend about the incident, and he related to me that it had happened to him, too - but he WAS trapped. The boat was on the hard, and he pounded on the hull for hours before someone came to his rescue.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 Old 04-10-2014 Thread Starter
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

Another dumb thing I did - while backing down on the anchor, I didn't take prop walk into consideration and caught a crab trap float in the prop. The water was about 45 degrees and I had no wet suit - we were in the middle of no where - but were able to get a marina on the radio who arranged for a diver to come find us. We were new to cruising at the time - so this was a lesson hard learned - and expensive!

post #4 of 27 Old 04-10-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Excellent Post.

I do have one. I know of a well seasoned Captain has been telling his crews not to put water into the fuel tank for about 40 years. On one particular day, he put water in the fuel tank. ....................LOL

To avoid doing dumb thing, I use the DuPont approach for years. They have the "Take Two" rule. Take 2 seconds (or minutes, or hours) to think about what you are about to do.

Remember, DuPont made their fortune selling gun powder in the old days. LOL

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-10-2014
Barquito

Welcome back to Sailnet! Your articles are some of the best on this site.

I've never done anything dumb on my boat.

Valiant 32
post #6 of 27 Old 04-10-2014

ajajajaja

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
post #7 of 27 Old 04-10-2014

Ooh! Ooh! I've got one (that I'm willing to share)

We were pulling into a newish anchorage on a weekend. I sent my wife forward to drop the hook, since she was uncomfortable at the helm in this scenario.

We slowly motored forward until we saw the shelf of sand (depth drops from 15 feet to 6 feet within about a 10-foot span). My wife waited for my signal, and dropped the anchor. It wasn't tied to anything. Totally not her fault - see below.

Long story short, we used the backup anchor for a great day of swimming, and then, before we left, used the GPS track to go back to the original drop spot, and found the anchor. No harm done.

Cause of problem? We take the primary anchor off the bow for racing, and put it back on when we're done. The crew put the anchor back in the roller, and lashed it down, but did not fasten the chain back to the anchor shackle. Presumably they were tired of unscrewing the shackle 2x per week...LOL.

I've learned to pay closer attention to the way we leave the boat when we're done racing, especially the safety equipment, no matter HOW hard the beer is calling me.

Andy
post #8 of 27 Old 04-10-2014
First String

The vast majority of time, close quarters maneuvering at low speed is fine. But the strong currents in Beaufort South Carolina can greatly reduce the margin for error. We recently received a great lesson and saw an example of exactly what can happen if you are not experienced with river sailing. My sailing partner Jim got to the marina early and packed and readied the boat for our afternoon day sail. He de-berthed her and repositioned her on the face dock. The problem was the direction she was faced put her back to the wind and her stern in the current. A new moon phase that weekend made for especially swift currents with a flood tide.
Here’s where we got into trouble. I was at the helm. Jim was at the ready on the dock, ready with the lines. I fired the trusty 2gm Yanmar diesel and warmed it up. I checked my position. I was nervous. I had an instinctive feeling this departure was not right. He untied the bow first, at my command and shoved it out a few feet, then the stern and jumped on board. I yelled wait Jim!!! Were not right I yelled! Jim, get the boat hook, I screamed! I had no steerage at all. We began to pick up speed with the outgoing flood tide. I had a huge sinking feeling in my stomach. We have 4 boats down the dock and we are now cross ways of the dock moving sideways to the dock with our bow toward the dock. We were now headed straight, well “sideways” from the other docked boats. I have a folding prop on the boat and this prop gives almost no reverse propulsion. In desperation, I threw in into reverse and gave it my best shot. Jim could not find the boat hook so he sat down on the bow with his feet hanging over in the hopes to push off the oncoming boats with his feet. With what seemed a lifetime and after pushing off 2 moored boats, we were able to finally get the bow into the current and find some steerage. It was so dangerous... We had no less than 5 possible insurance claims that day. Not to mention the near heart attack I had and broken legs that Jim could have received I learned! “Oh yes”. I learned the hard way, just how volatile a situation can become when you have no experience in close quarter maneuvering in a swift current with a large vessel. I know a lot more today about Close quarter maneuvering; in fact I have been practicing on the face dock over and over again. I spend a considerable amount of time studying the tides and wind next to the marinas dock. For now on, before I unhitch the boat, I know just what the boat is going to do. Just thought I would share my near miss in the hopes that someone might read and get inspired to practice in close quarters with your boat before something bad happens. I read and read and practice. I’m doing the best I can, not to get hurt or hurt anybody. I take full responsibility for this near miss. I was at the helm. I knew better. I knew it was wrong when the stern line was taken off. Won’t happen again under my watch.

Thanks LT
post #9 of 27 Old 04-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
One of the dumb things I did (there are many) working in a deep cockpit locker seat - I climbed back out and the seat slammed closed... and LATCHED! I was very lucky it didn't happen when I was in there. But after that, I always teid the seat open so it couldn't happen. I told a friend about the incident, and he related to me that it had happened to him, too - but he WAS trapped. The boat was on the hard, and he pounded on the hull for hours before someone came to his rescue.
Happened to be too. Luckily wife was around to let me out because it was over 100 degrees in there at the time. I now secure the seat before climbing in.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

post #10 of 27 Old 04-10-2014
Senior Citizen

Using 5200 in places where 4200 or butyl tape would have been much more appropriate.
-CH

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in