Safety while sailing the world - avoiding becoming a victim of crime - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 75 Old 04-23-2014

Re: Safety while sailing the world - avoiding becoming a victim of crime

You can't just look at the crime rate for a state, county, or city. You have to look at particular locales and what the crime rate is on a particular block or street.

This was the basis of one of the most successful policing techniques, "cops on dots", that was used to reduce crime in New York, New Orleans, Washington, D.C. and Miami.

The phrase comes from the large city maps you see in every police headquarters conference room, with dots of different colors to denote different crimes. The theory was, you concentrate your officers on where the crime was occurring. It doesn't make sense to evenly dispurse your police forces between four precincts, for example, when one precinct is responsible for 90 per cent of your crime.

Cruisers can use this too. It comes down to, there are always going to be high crime areas, and low crime areas, even within a very small city or town, pretty much where ever you go (I traveled to and worked with police officers in Switzerland, a very law abiding country, and all of the officers told me there were places in Switzerland, that you could go at night, and get in trouble very quickly; they even showed me some of them).

If you stay out of those areas, in whatever place you are cruising, visiting, or living, you are much, much less likely to be a crime statistic.
JimMcGee and christian.hess like this.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 75 Old 04-23-2014

exactly! even in the best cities, towns or countries there will be always a bad place or bad person or groups of persons...thats why general stats are of no help

so when I see people saying ahh the murder rate in mexico is what makes me not want to go there is to me, NONSENSICAL

as a cruiser that is
Group9 likes this.

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #73 of 75 Old 04-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post

Boroko, do you know where these events occurred in Brazil? I've never heard of a case involving sailboats anywhere on the coast south of Rio and only a few cases that occurred in Bahia. The Amazon on the other hand ....
Sure. One was in Natal. Reported by the French boat 'See You Later Alligator'. I hope to see a crew member from the other boat tommorrow. If I do I will report back.

Yes, I have heard the southern Brazilian coast is much safer... bur one needs to transit the risky north coast to get there from the Caribbean.
Hmmm, speaking of Brazil...

What a surprise, Fortaleza lies within a few degrees of the Equator... :-)

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
christian.hess likes this.

post #74 of 75 Old 04-24-2014

Yeah - even Annapolis has a few bad areas. Wander up to Clay Street or into the projects* after dark and you might end up missing cash and cell phone. Well at least a nice smartphone, I am pretty sure the homies would throw a flip phone right back to you

* projects aren't so bad as before. For many years the Annapolis po-po thought the federal government should patrol the hood since they built it and the fed though Annapolis should patrol it since it was in the city limits. When the criminals started getting out of the projects into high $$$ areas that all changed right quick, we got a new chief of police, and crime went down.

Belize is often considered dangerous, but most of the time I was there the main danger was if you got stuck or injured you might starve before seeing another person, not that you would get attacked. We actually ended up rescuing some peopel stuck on a jungle road with a broken down truck. OTOH Belize City wasn't someplace to wander around looking like a wide-eyed tourist.The guidebok actually suggested using a cab to get from one end of the block to the next

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
exactly! even in the best cities, towns or countries there will be always a bad place or bad person or groups of persons...thats why general stats are of no help

so when I see people saying ahh the murder rate in mexico is what makes me not want to go there is to me, NONSENSICAL

as a cruiser that is

Joe Della Barba
Coquina
C&C 35 MK I

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 04-24-2014 at 09:44 AM.
post #75 of 75 Old 04-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Hmmm, speaking of Brazil...

What a surprise, Fortaleza lies within a few degrees of the Equator... :-)

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Jon, this is unfortunate news indeed. Cruisers are advised not to anchor out in Fortaleza, but to stay in a marina. There are a few other "hot spots" in the northeast of Brazil as well and the Amazon is not without risk. A little information gathering ahead of time is essential for cruisers arriving in Brazil. That said, the southeast and south of Brazil are perfectly safe for cruisers. I have never locked my boat and have never heard of an attack on sailing boats (there have been a few robberies involving expensive power boats however).
christian.hess likes this.

VindŲ 50

Tags
crime , guns , pirates , safety , sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in