Why don't boats have headlights? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 75 Old 04-28-2014

Re: Why don't boats have headlights?

I actually thought that this was going to be a joke thread.

Headlights on a boat

Docking lights...ok

Headlights on a boat
christian.hess likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 75 Old 04-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post

honestly - this headlights for sailing boats is the stupidest thing i heard in a long time...
Yup, I've got to agree with you, there... :-)

What baffles me most, is why anyone would choose a FIXED MOUNT light, facing forward, over a hand held - or at least a swiveling remote control - searchlight... Of what use would such a 'headlight' have in a MOB situation at night, for example? It would not come remotely close to having the utility of a powerful handheld searchlight, having to 'aim' the entire boat - instead of just the light held in your hand - is just way beyond stoopid :-)

Every cruising boat should have a powerful searchlight with the portability of a cordless handheld aboard, in my opinion. Even if one is not anticipating running at night, is it really that difficult to imagine the uses it can be put to as a safety/security/signalling device even at anchor? Has no one else ever been in a situation where someone's tender came untethered in an anchorage at night, for example, and realized how nice it would be to have a 2 million candlepower handheld light to toss in your dinghy, and help with the search for it? In any situation at night with a person or piece of gear in the water, such a light could be one of the most essential tools at your disposal...
copacabana likes this.
post #43 of 75 Old 04-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I think this thread is hillarious...
I'm with you. I think the concept is clueless.

I remember one beautiful night, rowing to shore from the mooring. It was a great summer night with a full moon. You could read a newspaper it was so bright. Some moron with a power boat and a gizzion CP searchlight was scanning the water with his beacon and nailed me. He kept the light on me as he motored toward the same dock I was going to, just to make sure he knew where I was. I was shocked at the amount of night vision I lost. Even after he turned off his light I was blinded and started bouncing into buoys and boats. I couldn't row for about 5 minutes when my vision started to recover.

I suspect few of the people motoring with headlights or spotlights realize how much they could see if they dimmed all cabin lights, flashlights, etc, and allowed their eyes to adjust before heading into harbor.

GTJ
christian.hess likes this.

post #44 of 75 Old 04-28-2014

searchlights shouldnt even be árt of this discussion as they are for emergency use only

my only suggestion was the use of decklights for sailboats in again emergency uses....most guys I have sailed with think the same

powerboaters and the mentality of 95 percent of them is mainstream landlubber thought processes and its part of the reason why you see so much gadgetry, car like features and land features on powerboats and not on sailboats(unfortunately sailboats are going down that path too)

to me the question is ridiculous and should be shotdown...but for the sake of objectiveness and ideas I participated

once you go out sailing and cruising a bit I can think of only a couple of times maybe where I needed a spotlight or search light...

we always carried one but man headlights

whats next wipers for the running lights?

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 75 Old 04-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
searchlights shouldnt even be árt of this discussion as they are for emergency use only
Well, this thread is a classic example of a poorly worded subject line on the part of the OP...

Re-reading the first post, and following his link, seems like some form of flashlight of searchlight is precisely what he was asking about... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I've been night sailing some, and I plan to do more. Why don't sailboats have a headlight? Like a super powerful led light? Like something like this?

Sailing

It's supposed to be about as powerful as a motorcycle headlight, it's USB rechargeable and you could take it in your dinghy?

This thread probably should be in gear.
post #46 of 75 Old 04-28-2014

its also a classic example of people going on off tangents! jajaja

wink wink

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 75 Old 04-28-2014

The only times I've sailed at night we sailed through the night and didn't dock or get near anything we could hit till daylight, so I don't have anything to add about lights during actual sailing.

However I do have a flashlight to recommend for taking the dinghy to shore or whatnot. I take my bicycle headlight with me. It's completely waterproof, crazy bright, extremely rugged, and recharges from a USB cable.
NiteRider Lumina 700

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #48 of 75 Old 04-28-2014
Owned by Velcro

MedSailor and Minnesail like this.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
post #49 of 75 Old 04-28-2014
Banned

In the long winters here in BC, I do most of my sailing at night. I think the reason so many don't get it is because they rarely go out at night. All workboats here have powerful headlights, and use them a lot. Due to logs, most plastic boaters try to make port before nightfall, and live in fear of getting caught out at night, so avoid it like the plague.
Thus most have zero experience with a headlight on the bow, and very little if any night sailing experience.
A spotlight lights up so much deck that the reflected light blinds you, so that you cant see much else. Tried that, doesn't work.
A spotlight on my bow pulpit, clear of any deck hardware to reflect it back, lights up only the water ahead of me , where I am going, and thus what matters. In open water it is hard to tell if it is on, as there is nothing to reflect it back. Only when something looms ahead, do you realize how bright it is.Coming and going at night, my LED spotlight on my bow pulpit has been a huge improvement, especially when motoring thru crowded anchorages at night.
Go for it ! It's only logical! Ignore the jeering amateurs!
Bene505 and Dirtyfloats like this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 04-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #50 of 75 Old 04-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post

Coming and going at night, my LED spotlight on my bow pulpit has been a huge improvement, especially when motoring thru crowded anchorages at night.

Go for it ! It's only logical! Ignore the jeering amateurs!
Whatever it takes, I suppose...

But, even the jeering amateurs don't crash into things with the frequency that you do:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post

My boat will be 30 years old on May 12th, I have hit a lot of rocks, some at hull speed...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in