"Drain, Shock & fill water tanks" - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-06-2006 Thread Starter

"Drain, Shock & fill water tanks"

I was going over my boat's owners' manual for spring recommisioning. One item was "Drain, Shock & fill water tanks".
What is "shock" supposed to mean here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-06-2006

Shock is a term for Clorox get a couple of gallons pour it in the tank and top it up pump the mix through the hoses and save it if you want to scrub decks or something. You must use Clorox brand pure clorox the generic stuff has soaps in it and will give you the screamin willies. Clorox is a pure clorox and safe to use for water purification as well. I buy it at Sams three gallons cheep and the jugs I use to store water to rince off after diving.I do a couple of tabelspoons to a 30 gallon tank if the water is in question like all water in south Florida.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-06-2006
Administrator

Shocking the tank is filling the water tank and drinking water system with a high mixture of water and a high concentration of clorine and leave it in the tank long enough to kill off bacteria. Generally I have heard somewhere between 1 to 2 cups of clorox per 10 gallons of capacity. The clorine solution is left for one to two days but should not be left too long as it might damage the plumbing.

You then go through a couple cycles where you empty the tank and refill it and emty it again. I have heard a variety of suggestions but that is what the Term 'shock' means.

Jeff

post #4 of 20 Old 04-06-2006

I forgot to say the shock kills all bacteria and any slime that might have been growing in the tank. Health services give CLOROX to junkies because it kills AID'S. Also it will kill any thing that is alive including aquatic animals and man if you drink it. So make sure you pump it all out. I flush the system with a full tank after the shock is pumped out,that way you don't get the taste just clean water.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-06-2006 Thread Starter

Is shocking needed if I am not planning to use the water for drinking?
Is it ok to just flush the anti freeze as much as possible then fill up with water?
post #6 of 20 Old 04-07-2006
Telstar 28

BTW, do not use the scented varieties of Clorox... and don't use the Clorox Ultra.

post #7 of 20 Old 04-07-2006

dont use just clorox

I recall having this discussion with peggy hall (head lady).
if i recall she said not to leave clorox solution in the system for more than 24 hours as it degrades the rubber parts of the pumps.

after flushing the clorox solution through all hoses including the water heater (don't forget to remove aerators from the sinks they will get clogged with crud) you should fill the tanks with a vinegar solution to remove all traces of clorox. let sit 24 hrs then flush with fresh water.

i forgot what the dilution of clorox and vinegar was but try contacting her or better yet buy her book.
fair winds,
eric
post #8 of 20 Old 04-08-2006

One thing not mentioned in this thread what your tanks are made of.

Shocking is ok with stainless, glass and plastic tanks. It should not be done on aluminum. Clorox (sodium hypochlorite) or any chlorine based agent is very agressive chemically.

In contact with un-coated aluminum it will start the formation of aluminum chloride scale (which will clog you filters), it will pit the surface of the aluminum, and if there are any minor welding flaws in the tank, it will take them from minor to major. While iodine based agents will do the job, they will leave a lingering "off" taste and quite a few folks are seriously allergic to iodine.

If you have aluminum tanks, you are better off using periodic steam cleaning through the inspection port and aggressive filtration.

Also, while shocking is effective on tanks other than aluminum, it is not enduring. Each tank fill will bring in small amounts of stuff you would rather not have in the tank.

A good filtration system pays for itself in good health, and if you can't filter, then a 15 minute rolling boil of any water you plan to consume is next best.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-08-2006
Telstar 28

Dynameme makes good points all, especially the part about aluminum tanks... unfortunately, filtering the water as it is coming into the tanks isn't a viable option for most of us.

post #10 of 20 Old 04-08-2006

why cant you filter the incoming water

we use a very simple home depoot filter.
fair winds,
eric

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in