What's one word of advice for animals on board - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 05-09-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Re: What's one word of advice for animals on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing terrapin View Post
Do you happen to recall which countries were an issue with the cat? We've decided the dog needs to go to family. I wasn't really sold on the idea of turning our boat into a modern day Noah's Ark, anyways. One cat...that's it.
We had friends who had a dog onboard in the Caribbean. Had all the shots, a pet passport (I thought they were kidding, they weren't). In a standard winter cruising they said they spent $2000 for various fees. I think they avoided Antigua because the dog would have to go into quarantine there. It was a lovely dog, but they said never again.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 05-09-2014

Pets need passports, vaccination records, identification chips or tattoos, and finally before going to an other country, a state issued certification of good health from the agriculture department. This certification is good for 10 days (most countries).Having transported internationally my two show dogs and my cat a few times each, and having been given the choice to leave one country or put the dog down, the info I can give you is, that no one can guarantee that your dog can't be put either for destruction or for long carantine
post #23 of 30 Old 05-09-2014

There is no correct answer. If you have your dogs already they are family and they deserve to live with their family until they pass away. Get them where you can manage to have them, short passages and where in general your life would be easier. If you dont have dogs, and you like the idea then just dont get them

post #24 of 30 Old 05-09-2014
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing terrapin View Post
Do you happen to recall which countries were an issue with the cat? We've decided the dog needs to go to family. I wasn't really sold on the idea of turning our boat into a modern day Noah's Ark, anyways. One cat...that's it.
Mexico and English Harbor (Antigua) for sure. Senior moment on the third but I will check my log. Checking boat into English Harbor - 5 minutes. Checking XO into English Harbor - 5 hours. Yes, 5 hours. Had to wait for the one government vet to arrive and check his papers.

Let me re-emphasize the problem with dogs... You have been sailing all day. It is blowing 20 - 25 with gusts to 35. It is raining. Waves 3 to 5 feet. Set anchor. drop dinghy. Take dog to shore. Dog freaked out. Wait 1 to 2 hours for dog to do business. Struggle back to boat. 1 hour later - dog wants to go ashore again - needs to do more business. I have watched this scene play out with friends at least 20 times.

Sexist comment alert!
It always seems to be the wife's dog and the husband who gets dispatched to shore.

Fair winds and following seas!

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
post #25 of 30 Old 05-09-2014

the dog can go out twice a day and be happy about it. Any country can give u problem with the pets. It is up to the custom officer. His character or if u forget to be friendly or respectful, or he is having a bad day can be hell for u and ur pet
post #26 of 30 Old 05-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Don't.
Ditto.

I took two cats on a one week cruise. It cured me of ever taking another animal on one again.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #27 of 30 Old 05-09-2014

Symbiosis

In all my life of sailing with different cats at different times, I have never had a sick cat, a cat fall overboard, a misbehaved cat or an unhappy cat. And they like to walk the teak toe rail. Always makes me a bit nervous! And, as a cat owner, flee treatment is a must for any cat in any place.
But it's not like they are out prancing around when it gets rough. They like to come out at night and watch the fish jump, and no they have never jumped in after or for birds either.
Leocat66 and Minnesail like this.

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #28 of 30 Old 05-09-2014

That sounds about right. Animals dont like to jump in open water as a general rule
Delta-T likes this.
post #29 of 30 Old 05-09-2014

My two were completely different. One hid, and peed on everything we owned. The other one was crazy and fearless and had to be fished out of the water about three times.

I'll pass.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #30 of 30 Old 05-09-2014

I love hearing these stories about cats on the boom and walking along the rail and such.

So very much NOT like my stupid cat. She frequently mis-judges when jumping and misses. I've seen her fall asleep on a dresser, then roll slightly and fall off. I don't think she'd do well on a boat.
svzephyr44 likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Tags
pets

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in