SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What's one word of advice for animals on board (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/139202-whats-one-word-advice-animals-board.html)

sailing terrapin 05-08-2014 07:59 PM

What's one word of advice for animals on board

If you could give one word of advice for sailing with either a cat or dog, what would it be?

We plan to leave San Diego, down through Mexico, Central America, through Panama and head to Florida via the Caribbean

Thank you!

MarkofSeaLife 05-08-2014 08:13 PM

Re: What's one word of advice for animals on board

1 Attachment(s)
Don't.

Frogwatch 05-08-2014 08:17 PM

nuthin more pathetic and nothing will make you feel guiltier than a seasick dog.

sailing terrapin 05-08-2014 08:18 PM

ya...so I knew that was going to be the first word of "advice". We're dead set on bringing the cat. At 15 years old, he's basically just looking for a place to die. The dog is more my husbands idea.

sailing terrapin 05-08-2014 08:23 PM

Frogwatch

You bring up a good point. I'd feel like a steaming pile of dog doo watching our Hula Bear get sick and miserable

svzephyr44 05-08-2014 08:29 PM

Don't
That is my one word.

I have a very loving cat on board. He is both a blessing and a curse.

Concerns:
1. I have been in about 16 or 17 countries in the last 2 years. With the exception of three they ignored my cat after I assured them that he never leaves the boat. I doubt that they would accept a similar plea for a dog. In the 3 countries that did require me to clear in my cat it cost me more to clear in the cat then it cost me to clear in the boat and all the crew combined. It also took substantially longer to clear in the cat.
2. You are bound to your animal. If you want to take a several day "shore leave" - perhaps to visit a nearby city or attraction you need to find someone to take care of your animal. In most countries your pet is not going to be welcome on the bus, train, cab, rental car, hotel, etc. Although sometimes you can find someone to pet sit for free in my experience you generally end up paying something - even if it is a thank you gift for the free sitter.
3. Disease: just like you will find that the local "bugs" can get you down until your body adjusts the same is true for your pet.
4. Cleanliness: I never had a problem with fleas etc. while cruising with a pet in the U.S. In a lot of other countries their standards of cleanliness are much lower - we had rats and cockroaches in the marina at Guadeloupe (this was the high end marina!) and it seemed to be accepted. XO (my cat) got fleas while in Guadeloupe and they didn't die as easily from the US flea medicine as I would have hoped. BTW that is also true of the boat - a bug free boat can quickly become a haven for bugs as you start to cruise if you are not diligent.

As Shakespeare would say, an aside: My description above includes just about everywhere on your list - Mexico (the East side) Belize, Guatemala, about 12 Caribbean Islands, BVI, Turks, Bahamas....

I hope this helps ..

Fair winds and following seas:

Chas H 05-08-2014 08:33 PM

Begin well before the voyage clipping their toenails so the quick will recede and the nails can be as short as possible. Also consider booties for traction.

SloopJonB 05-08-2014 08:39 PM

Think about how inconvenient it can be to have to walk the dog every single day.

Now imagine having to hoist it into a dinghy and row ashore beforehand every time.

AND row it back and hoist it aboard.

EVERY TIME.

Dogs have no place on small boats IMO.

tdw 05-08-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogwatch (Post 1821426)
nuthin more pathetic and nothing will make you feel guiltier than a seasick dog.

Seasick cat gets pretty damn close.

tdw 05-08-2014 09:21 PM

I've sailed with both cat and dog, separately and together and I will never do it again. The animals themselves coped quite well although the cat did get seasick on occasion. The problem was more with me. No matter how often you clean the damn things, cat litter smells, while rowing dog to shore x number of times a day when it is cold and raining is not exactly a barrell of laughs.